Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That little white ball

Hi everyone. I am in the process of buying a K series lens. The overall condition is good, but it's missing the little white ball that helps turn the lens when monting on the body. Anyone know if it can be replaced?

12-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Do you really need to replace it? I'm not saying they are obsolete but I have never used the white button on any of my old lenses to assist me in mounting the lens to my camera, some people will feel differently of course. If its a lens you really want I would get it and forget about the white button.
To answer your question, I have never seen a spare white button for sale so I don't think you could replace it with the same thing but maybe you could get a piece of a wooden dowel with the same diameter and glue it in. I tried to get one off of my 300mm lens and eventually ended up filing it off because it wouldn't come out easily. Maybe there is a collector here that has an old mason jar full of spare white buttons??
12-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The white ball doesn't actually help you do anything. Pentax branded lenses are the only lens I've seen with such a thing. I'd buy the lens & not worry about it.
12-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Might affect the re-sale value if that matters. It will not affect operation in any way. If you really want it replaced go to your local craft shop and look in the bead section. Find one that is the correct size, (looks like 4mm on the A lens I had handy). Take it home and file or sand off 1/2 and then glue it on. Done. You could get different colors if you need to, maybe get one to match the red k-r or whatever.

12-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/91123-ricoh-ri...hite-ball.html
12-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry too much - the white ball may have been helpful in lining up with the lens release lever on a Pentax film camera, but nowadays the lens release button on a DSLR isn't in the same position, so it's much less useful.
12-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
I wouldn't worry too much - the white ball may have been helpful in lining up with the lens release lever on a Pentax film camera, but nowadays the lens release button on a DSLR isn't in the same position, so it's much less useful.
I miss that handy feature of being able to swap lenses without looking for the stupid alignment spots.
12-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I miss that handy feature of being able to swap lenses without looking for the stupid alignment spots.
Yes, looking back, I used to use the white ball all the time when mounting a lens. Nowadays, it's it's a case of myopically looking at red dots...