Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rez Quote
I guess I should stop reading all this stuff ... You will eventually convince me to get all the FA Ltd trio !
It makes me think... My girlfriend has two kidneys, is this really so indispensable ?

Before getting extreme, I've contacted a seller... We'll see
No need to trade in your kidneys.. got them all before the prices go up... (especially in light of upcoming FF rumour).

They are still less expensive than the other brands with equivalent quality but for more money...

12-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rez Quote
I guess I should stop reading all this stuff ... You will eventually convince me to get all the FA Ltd trio !
It makes me think... My girlfriend has two kidneys, is this really so indispensable ?

Before getting extreme, I've contacted a seller... We'll see
Seriously, once you have been infected by the FA Limited LBA virus, there is only one cure for most people, which is to get all three, although not necessarily at the same time. But you have several good options. Get the focal length(s) that suit your shooting style, and be happy.

Rob
12-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
For me it is difficult to say which is better, maybe I favour FA43 a bit more, but IMHO they are quite different lenses. I see FA43 as one that is ultrasharp in centre and gives sort of impressionistic bokeh, while FA31 is more even across the frame and very smooth rendering. I once bought FA31 because somebody reasoned with me that it can always replace FA43 with just a little crop - that is not true. Both lenses render images differently.
I love all three amigos, but I use the FA31 the most, simply because it is a "normal" focal length. However, if I were to choose a favorite for sharpness and rendering characteristics, it would be the FA43. On an APS-C camera, it makes an excellent portrait lens. Other users may have different preferences, which is understandable, because we are splitting hairs here.

Rob
12-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I love all three amigos, but I use the FA31 the most, simply because it is a "normal" focal length. However, if I were to choose a favorite for sharpness and rendering characteristics, it would be the FA43. On an APS-C camera, it makes an excellent portrait lens. Other users may have different preferences, which is understandable, because we are splitting hairs here.

Rob
I would second all this, though I'm not sure if the 77 or the 43 would be my favorite. I do know that they would be the last lenses I'd get rid of.

12-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Oh yes, Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 is very highly regarded lens, and used to be also cheap. I had two other Contaxes converted to PK, both performed great (on par with FA limiteds) but I sold them as they were not so convenient to use. But for the landscapes I guess convenience doesn't matter.
Exactly. The Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 reaches infinity at around 3.5M (10ft) so for landscapes etc. it is virtually an AF lens
12-14-2011, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Oh the joy of lenses. And the despair. For what it's worth: if ever there will be ff pentax, I really do hope there will be new digitally adapted ltd's. Like with aps.
To frogfish: yes, da15 shines with stars. But if you have a really good copy 16-50, it can shine equally, though without the stars.
I used to own quite some Zeisses. I happily sold them all. Indeed about choice it is all. They truly are different lenses. But so are Meyers, or Russians. And Steinheil. For that matter. It's geeky. And wonderful. And enticing. And and so on. But also slow operational wise. Not convenient when needing to be fast paced.
Fa31 is overrated. But very good all around. I have an auto takumar 35 2.3. Now, that is a lens. Not as good as, but sometimes better. But you know, equipment that you have come to know and you used it a lot and you keep coming back to it, that, that is your thing. I always think you should let time give you the oportunity to grow into what you have. To love it and care for it. This special feeling beats better performance, it makes me feel better. Not a better photographer, for I am not. But certainly a happier photographer.
Fa31 is still busy earning that status.

But fa31 is a masterpiece in museums (if they let you use it).
12-14-2011, 02:39 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Exactly. The Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 reaches infinity at around 3.5M (10ft) so for landscapes etc. it is virtually an AF lens
Could you explain this statement please?

Any 28mm lens @ F2.8 places the hyper focal distance on an APS-C sensor at 14 meters and the nearest in focus object would be 7 meters away. That's ANY 28mm lens and not *just* a Contax Zeiss.

At an F-Stop of 5.6 the HFD is 7 meters and the nearest in-focus object would be 3.5 meters away.

12-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
Oh the joy of lenses. And the despair. For what it's worth: if ever there will be ff pentax, .
The manager of a respected Camera Store here told me today that Pentax is going to bring out a FF next year.
12-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

To the OP: Quite a number of excellent shooters on this forum have started to use the Sigma 30 F/1.4. It's way sharper in the middle than the FA31LTD wide open but soft on the edges. IF you want something for portraits then I'd suggest you look at it and if you need something sharp corner to corner for cityscapes or landscapes then the FA31 is the go. Horses for courses as always. I have a 31mm LTD and I am still considering the Sigma for certain subject matter.
12-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Could you explain this statement please?

Any 28mm lens @ F2.8 places the hyper focal distance on an APS-C sensor at 14 meters and the nearest in focus object would be 7 meters away. That's ANY 28mm lens and not *just* a Contax Zeiss.

At an F-Stop of 5.6 the HFD is 7 meters and the nearest in-focus object would be 3.5 meters away.
Correct - however if you are shooting landscapes then you won't be at f2.8 (well I hope you wouldn't be) ! I see that looking at my previous post that it could be taken to mean that I was talking about the 28mm AT f2.8 whereas what I actually meant was that I am referring to the 28/2.8 lens.

At f8 the MFD is just over 3M, HFD is close to 6.5M and infinity would be in focus.
12-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Thanks...
12-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
To the OP: Quite a number of excellent shooters on this forum have started to use the Sigma 30 F/1.4. It's way sharper in the middle than the FA31LTD wide open but soft on the edges. IF you want something for portraits then I'd suggest you look at it and if you need something sharp corner to corner for cityscapes or landscapes then the FA31 is the go. Horses for courses as always. I have a 31mm LTD and I am still considering the Sigma for certain subject matter.
The Sigma 30/1.4 is nice, but not Limited nice. If I had the FA 31 I wouldn't bother spending money on the 30/1.4.

For head and shoulder portraits the DA* 55 is much nicer as it has got rounded blades, smoother focusing and is better built IMHO.
12-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
The Sigma 30/1.4 is nice, but not Limited nice. If I had the FA 31 I wouldn't bother spending money on the 30/1.4.

For head and shoulder portraits the DA* 55 is much nicer as it has got rounded blades, smoother focusing and is better built IMHO.

You're probably right it's just that some of the photographs I've seen from the 30 1.4 are a compelling reason to consider one at least. The 55 is definitely going to be a better portrait lens though.
12-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #44
Veteran Member

When my bank account has recovered (DA15/DA40) I'm chasing after a K28/2. And then deciding whether I should get upgrade my DA40 to a FA43 or upgrade my A50/1.7 to an FA50/1.4(or an AF 1.7). The DA40 is great as a walkaround/hiking lens but there are times I want f2 (and AF) or a better starburst. Actually I have a never ending list of lenses I want so it will be difficult to decide.

As far as the OP is concerned I think he should buy the focal length that he wants and be less concerned if it's a DA21/FA31/FA43. Personally I find 21mm too wide for regular use and a lot of people don't like the 40-50mm focal lengths. I have really grown to like the 40-50mm lengths (DA40 and A50) because I compose photos better (less empty space) and it can be used as a short portrait lens.
12-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I own the 43 and the 21. I love the 43, the pictures it takes just look different to my eye. The 21 is good but there is nothing special about it. I carry it when hiking because of its small size and dual usefulness for landscape and snap shots of family.

I haven't used the 31 but I don't think you'll regret it. It is pretty universally loved after all. I didn't love my 43 initially, but as I used it more we have become fast friends. I imagine it would be the same with the 31.