Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the 31 for a while, and found I prefer to the 43 in most ways. I use ithem mostly for people pictures and flower pictures, though. Not sure about landscapes. The 31 is pretty big for a normal prime. But it did take nice pictures.

12-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ONE lens to rule them all...get the 31 or you will be second guessing yourself until you finally do.
12-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rez Quote
Here's my question : what would you do if you had the choice between DA 21 + FA 43 or just FA 31 ? Prices are close on the marketplace...
I'd take the FA31 without any hesitation.
12-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had FA31 and chose FA43 + K20/4 combo instead as this gives me more flexibility. But FA31 is one fantastic lens, just I found that focal lenght bit limiting. It doesn't have character that FA43 seems to possess, but FA31 does everything well, It doesn't have big weakness really. Tough decision.
btw. If you're not worried about manual focus, Zeiss 28/2 zk might be option to consider - slightly wider than FA31 and nearly as expensive.

12-13-2011, 05:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Hi, this is the route I took:
at first: da 21 + da35 & da40. Great, very versatile. And lots of swopping. So,
then: being angry with the bad reputation of the 16-50 da* ... I bought one. Less swopping. And I fell deeply for this lens. With all its flaws, it still delivers. But, needing sometimes something a bit smaller and faster, and after selling about 30 old lenses (passed away family members' hand-me-downs) I bought the fa31ltd. Combined with my feet it is the solution. I like it very much for indoor things.
That's it. I still have the da15, but getting more and more involved with 16-50 and 31, I consider selling it. My set up will then be 16-50/31/55/70/100dfa macro NON wr (I don't know why, I tried to replace it 3x for a WR, but none were as good as my trusty dfa non wr, except for bokeh) and my husband's bulky 60-250.
But to be fair, I still have a bunch of takumars. Which I also use a lot.
12-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #21
Rez

Original Poster
Hi, many intersting views here !

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
It doesn't have character that FA43 seems to possess
Could you develop why you think that the 43 has more character ? Is it related to bokeh ? sharpness ?
I made my decision on the 31 but i'm interested...

About the Zeiss, it seems very hard to find on the marketplace and I prefer keep on with AF

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
get the 31 or you will be second guessing yourself until you finally do
I understand that. At the time I bought the 35 macro, i had already spotted the 31, but the funding wasn't available...
12-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Could you develop why you think that the 43 has more character ? Is it related to bokeh ? sharpness ?
I made my decision on the 31 but i'm interested...
Sure, by character I meant its special Image Quality. You almost guessed it, when you pointed out bokeh and sharpness. I think its character relates to both those qualities. FA43 has not so smooth bokeho as FA31, but it is somehow interesting, almost artistic. Combined with extreme centre sharpness you sometimes end up with photos that have this pop character, when object in focus appears to be in front of background, but background is still defined, not smooth and indifferent. It is sort of 3dimensionality, I'll try to find some photo, which may explain it better than words.
I think either decision is good, FA31 performs well in every aspect and stopped down can be very sharp.

12-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

If you're not worried about manual focus, Zeiss 28/2 zk might be option to consider - slightly wider than FA31 and nearly as expensive.
There is no need to spend so much for a superb Zeiss. The 28/2.8 is almost as good (superb corner to corner, extremely sharp, Zeiss rendering) but considerably cheaper (ca. US$400 + PK mount conversion of maybe US$50).

I have the 43 and although I don't use it much I'd never sell it - it's that good. However like the OP I prefer around 30 for a walkaround and that is where the Sigma 30/1.4 comes in. So my '30 ish' kit is the Zeiss 28/2.8 (landscapes) and the Sigma 30 for everything else.
12-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
That's it. I still have the da15, but getting more and more involved with 16-50 and 31, I consider selling it. My set up will then be 16-50/31/55/70/100dfa macro
That is another lens I could never sell (15 Ltd) it is just AMAZING and the 16-50 (nor any other zoom) could never replicate the superb contrast and gorgeous starbursts it gives off just by looking at it. A truly wonderful little piece of heaven.
12-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sure, by character I meant its special Image Quality. You almost guessed it, when you pointed out bokeh and sharpness. I think its character relates to both those qualities. FA43 has not so smooth bokeho as FA31, but it is somehow interesting, almost artistic. Combined with extreme centre sharpness you sometimes end up with photos that have this pop character, when object in focus appears to be in front of background, but background is still defined, not smooth and indifferent. It is sort of 3dimensionality, I'll try to find some photo, which may explain it better than words.
I think either decision is good, FA31 performs well in every aspect and stopped down can be very sharp.
to add to this, it seems to me that the longer you go in FL, the more 3D potential there is from a good fast lens. Don't get me started on the FA77, that is my favorite when the situation can handle it.
12-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
There is no need to spend so much for a superb Zeiss. The 28/2.8 is almost as good (superb corner to corner, extremely sharp, Zeiss rendering) but considerably cheaper (ca. US$400 + PK mount conversion of maybe US$50).

I have the 43 and although I don't use it much I'd never sell it - it's that good. However like the OP I prefer around 30 for a walkaround and that is where the Sigma 30/1.4 comes in. So my '30 ish' kit is the Zeiss 28/2.8 (landscapes) and the Sigma 30 for everything else.
Oh yes, Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 is very highly regarded lens, and used to be also cheap. I had two other Contaxes converted to PK, both performed great (on par with FA limiteds) but I sold them as they were not so convenient to use. But for the landscapes I guess convenience doesn't matter.
12-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The FA31 is a great general purpose lens, but the FA43 is a better lens, IMO. I own and use both. It is up to the individual to decide which focal length will be more useful or suitable. The DA21 has its fans, but it is not in the same league as the FA Limiteds. However, it is a nice complement to the either of the other two. So is the DA15.

Rob
12-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
The FA31 is a great general purpose lens, but the FA43 is a better lens, IMO. I own and use both. It is up to the individual to decide which focal length will be more useful or suitable. The DA21 has its fans, but it is not in the same league as the FA Limiteds. However, it is a nice complement to the either of the other two. So is the DA15.

Rob
For me it is difficult to say which is better, maybe I favour FA43 a bit more, but IMHO they are quite different lenses. I see FA43 as one that is ultrasharp in centre and gives sort of impressionistic bokeh, while FA31 is more even across the frame and very smooth rendering. I once bought FA31 because somebody reasoned with me that it can always replace FA43 with just a little crop - that is not true. Both lenses render images differently.
12-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
Rez

Original Poster
I guess I should stop reading all this stuff ... You will eventually convince me to get all the FA Ltd trio !
It makes me think... My girlfriend has two kidneys, is this really so indispensable ?

Before getting extreme, I've contacted a seller... We'll see
12-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I guess I should stop reading all this stuff ... You will eventually convince me to get all the FA Ltd trio !
It makes me think... My girlfriend has two kidneys, is this really so indispensable ?

Before getting extreme, I've contacted a seller... We'll see
Make no mistake, once you have tasted the FA Ltd. nectar, you will want to try all 3.