Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

Soligor lens on iST DS

Ok, so when I was in college I took the 2 photography classes they offered, became good friends with my instructor, etc. We had someone give the art department a bunch of older camera gear and he gave me this really neat Soligor lens (I'll have to update the specs on it later, I'm at work) which I assumed was a M42 screwmount. So I got the Pentax M42 to bayonet adapter thinking I was going to get to use this lens. I don't know if I got the wrong adapter or if the threads on the Soligor are botched, but the adapter will make about 3/4s to a full thread on and stop. Given what I have supplied anyone have any idea if I have the correct adapter or will it require knowing exactly which lens I have?

Thanks!

Chris

12-13-2011, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like it is a T-Mount. T-Mount has a .75mm thread pitch, M42 has a 1mm thread pitch.

Amazon.com: Adorama T-Mount for Pentax K, Pentax Autofocus, and Pentax DSLR's Cameras: Camera & Photo
12-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
The threads on the lens DID look like they might have been closer together. So that T mount adapter goes from screw to bayonet then? Couldn't really tell from the preview photos. Thanks for the speedy help!
12-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The one linked is actually a T2 mount, and that's a fair price. I've bought a batch of these for a bit less each, but shipping from China takes a few weeks, and this one should be in you clutches in just a few days. BTW the difference between T- and T2-mount is that T-mount is one piece and T2 is two pieces -- the lens orientation can be adjusted so the lens numbers are on the topside rather than facing down.

12-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
OOooo awesome. Yeah I'll be ordering that and the Mrs. Christmas present at lunch XD Hope to get to use that lens. So now I have a M42 to bayonet that I waited forever for Pentax to get some in of and nothing to use it with. Have to see if the Father in Law has any old 35mm lenses that will work with it.... Would my adapter work on his Canon Rebel? I was kind of under the impression that a bayonet mount was a bayonet mount but now I wonder...
12-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SoC1Bar Quote
Would my adapter work on his Canon Rebel? I was kind of under the impression that a bayonet mount was a bayonet mount but now I wonder...
No. Lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition to having different dimensions, the Canon EF mount requires a chipped adapter for M42.
12-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
Alright, then I hope he has some M42 lenses I can use or I will have to send the adapter back if I can. Or sell it here.

12-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SoC1Bar Quote
I was kind of under the impression that a bayonet mount was a bayonet mount but now I wonder...
This is an FYI:

Each make has its own proprietary bayonet(s) -- Canon has had two, the EOS and the FD. The FD wasn't even really a bayonet, but a BREECH mount. With a bayonet, you twist the lens onto the mount. With a breech, you twist a ring around the lens base. Other breech mounts probably exist(ed) but I'm too lazy to look that up now.

Some bayonets are very very similar. Nikon is the same size as Pentax PK and some Nikon lenses can be force-fit mounted on PK without modification. Others (like Olympus OM and Contax-Yashica C/Y) are *almost* the same size, but their bayonet blades are slightly too thick to fit under PK mounting lugs. I shave those, tapering the flags slightly so they'll force-fit.

Other mounts (Konika KAR, Minolta M/MD, Pentacon PB) are almost the same size but their lens register is too short for infinity focus on a PK cam. Yet other mounts (like Petri) are just similar-but-different enough that the lens base can be removed and replaced with a PK mount. The Exakta mount is fun: glue an M39-M42 adapter ring around the Exakta bayonet, and use a cheap M42-PK adapter that's been ground-down (sandpapered) so it's about 0.6mm thinner.

No, a bayonet is not a bayonet is not a bayonet. Life could be so much easier...
12-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
This is an FYI:

Each make has its own proprietary bayonet(s) -- Canon has had two, the EOS and the FD. The FD wasn't even really a bayonet, but a BREECH mount. With a bayonet, you twist the lens onto the mount. With a breech, you twist a ring around the lens base. Other breech mounts probably exist(ed) but I'm too lazy to look that up now.
Contax G, Canon R/FL/FD, Petriflex, Praktina and a couple 6x6 mounts plus a couple movie mounts.
12-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
Ok, just to be sure, it's a Soligor 1:2.8, f=105mm, Serial No. 2710112. I know from researching the serial it's from 1971, so it's a fairly old lens, but I couldn't determine whether or not it was an M42, I just assumed it was. Hopefully it's a T mount so I don't have another adapter running around...
12-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
So yeah, just to let yall know, it was a T2 mount and the lens is outstanding for being 40 years old. Posted some pics I took with it in the Photos section.