Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In my view, and all makers missed the boat here, is they should have taken the opportunity of the new format and new optical capabilities to redefine the focal length ranges of a standard lens setup.
I'm not sure this isn't what Pentax has done overall, though. After all, it's prime lineup has always been considered quirky in FL choice, and it APS-C prime lineup

As for 50-135 versus 70-200 being more appropriate for APS-C, that depends entirely on your intended usage. I'd say for portrai, concert, and event usage, a 50-135 makes a ton more sense, plus it allows the lens to be much smaller/lighter. For sports, the 70-200 might make more sense. Maybe other genres too. But I suspect it's the portrait and wedding market Pentax had in mind when choosing the FL range, and I think they nailed this much better than a 70-200.

12-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #32

Regarding the FA*300/2.8. Those are attainable if you have deep pockets. There was a good one on ebay for a whole week 2 weeks ago. BIN for 3900. It sold with one bid for 3600.

Hens teeth is the F/FA*250-600, FA*600, FA*200 macro, or even the FA*400.

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I gave up trying to get a FA*300/2.8 (rare as hens teeth, I'd love one and would happily swap my Sigma for one) and just ended up with the Sigma 300/2.8, if there had been a Pentax New option, I would have gone for it, and I wanted a 2.8 so as I could push it out to 600/5.6, I must admit I see little to no IQ drop when using the Sigma Lens with the matched APO TC's. Pity Pentax also never made FA*TC's, so no surprise they still haven't made a SDM TC, which is disappointing considering they only now make a lens to 300, and if you use a TC you loose SDM focus, thats the reason I didn't buy the DA*300. And considering they decided not to make SDM TC's, they then didn't even give a in camera choice of SDM or Screwdrive so as if you did use an AF TC with the SDM lens, it would auto switch to Screwdrive focus.
As far as carring a 300/2.8 around, I have no problems whatsoever, its just another lens, my kit before was fairly large, so now I have two bags.
12-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
Regarding the FA*300/2.8. Those are attainable if you have deep pockets. There was a good one on ebay for a whole week 2 weeks ago. BIN for 3900. It sold with one bid for 3600.

Hens teeth is the F/FA*250-600, FA*600, FA*200 macro, or even the FA*400.

Yeah I was watching that one, one of the lads here on PF bought it, I got my Sigma for 1899euro, so a fair bit cheaper, but not a Pentax....