Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Prime guys, what do you do....

...when you are travelling and might be out in the rain? The DA*55 is the widest sealed prime, and that's not that wide. I'd hate to have to get an 18-55WR zoom to use for my upcoming trip after getting addicted to the limiteds.....

12-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can either use WR lenses, which are mostly zooms. Or use plastic bags with rubber bands to DIY WR your primes.

I myself refuse to surrender my valueble primes to the elements. When it's moist, rainy or dusty outside. Or when I know I won't have the time to carefully changes lenses. I will use a WR zoom.
12-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own no WR primes, in fact I only use MF primes.

When it rains the camera goes under my coat, or protected best I can, including carrying the camera lens down since the K10D body is WR.

I wipe off moisture best I can, and simply don't let it get too wet.

If you are out in real driving rain, then consider 2 things, a filter, to prevent wiping the front element (hence scratching it by accident) and a camera bag to put the camera in while shooting, they make these, or you can just use a plastic bag with the filter taped to the opening (another reason to use filters)

Edit note

I let things dry out when I get home too, as that is most important
12-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm with Lowell, with my K20D kept sheltered as much as possible because I have no WR lenses. I don't wander around in pouring rain with the K20D -- I have a waterproof P&S for that.

12-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

i'm with Lowell and Rico

I do usually have my 18-55 thrown in the travel bag in case i get a particularly nasty bit of weather and want to go out and shoot in it (one of these days i'll get a 16-50 for that)
12-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I use my cheap 35 F2.4, a tight UV filter, and a camera sleeve. It's not that cumbersome, and it's been pretty good to me.
12-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

one thing to consider, WR is a false god.

WR means water resistant not water proof.

I consider protection like this, insurance if the primary protection fails.

I can remember too may threads about people washing their K7 only to find it failed after the bath, or people shooting all day outside in pouring rain and complaining the camera died shortly afterwards.

What continues to amaze me is that people will spend literally thoousands on camera gear, and not use something as simple as a plastic bag, $0.01 worth of protection, or a more appropriate but perhaps 1000 times more expensive (but still only $10) camera sleeve to protect it.

I am willing to bet that the people who go out in pouring rain wear a rain coat don't they?
12-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
one thing to consider, WR is a false god.

WR means water resistant not water proof.

I consider protection like this, insurance if the primary protection fails.

I can remember too may threads about people washing their K7 only to find it failed after the bath, or people shooting all day outside in pouring rain and complaining the camera died shortly afterwards.

What continues to amaze me is that people will spend literally thoousands on camera gear, and not use something as simple as a plastic bag, $0.01 worth of protection, or a more appropriate but perhaps 1000 times more expensive (but still only $10) camera sleeve to protect it.

I am willing to bet that the people who go out in pouring rain wear a rain coat don't they?

+1

Very well said!

I forgot to mention my most used method of shooting in the pouring rain: I just don't get out of my car!

12-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I take the 18-55WR along as well - light and small, worth the $100 or so you can find it for used. Lowell, I don't recall numerous posts about failure after using WR lenses - there are definitely stories out there, but certainly not a flood of them. Most of the worst stories I've read involved the camera getting completely dunked - even some of those ended up ok in the end. I agree in the end your best bet is to simply take care of your equipment - with WR lenses, bag it when you're not using it!
12-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Press 'n Seal to the rescue. For extended rain shooting, i keep a 3" wide strip of this stuff rolled up in my bag. I just wrap it around the mount, lens and hood and it sticks to itself. just don't press it on the focus ring grip so it can turn freely. Best part, when your done, you roll up the press 'n seal and it can be reused.

i have also used it with my 70-200 zoom and cut two pieces, a separate one is wrapped around the zoom ring with some overlap. With this setup, i literally left my camera outside shooting interval pics in the rain and didn't worry about it.
12-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
[...]When it rains the camera goes under my coat [...]
My camera viewfinder and lens fogged when I tried this -- not recommended!
12-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've shot in a tropical downpour. Wore a poncho, set the camera on a tripod and carried an umbrella. And I didn't have lenses that were WR then. Worked for me.
12-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I just shoot with my da* and hope I won't need anything wider
12-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
My camera viewfinder and lens fogged when I tried this -- not recommended!
the question is, was this internal or external fogging.

you will get fogging or more properly condensate on the outside of the camera when a cold camera goes into a warm humid environment. If the camera is allowed to warm up this goes away.

I will admit it is not perfect, but you have an option. a little transiently appearing condensate on the outside, which never has really hurt anything in my experience (sort of like going into a greenhouse in the winter) or letting the camera and lens get drenched. It's your choise.
12-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I like my primes but when the rain comes, the 16-50 or 50-135 go on! I hope that whenever Pentax starts churning out some new lenses, we'll see some more sealed lenses. (My dream is an updated, sealed fisheye!) I've had my old K20D and K-7 and current K-5 completely soaked many times and they work fantastically well. I have no fear of getting them wet short of actually dunking them underwater!

You could also try to build something like this; I thought of almost the same idea a few months before seeing this although mine would attach via tripod socket and look a bit like a flash bracket with an umbrella attached.