Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Older lens labeling

Is there any difference between "super-multi-coated" and "SMC" on the older Pentax-Takumar lenses?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

12-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Is there any difference between "super-multi-coated" and "SMC" on the older Pentax-Takumar lenses?

Thanks in advance,
Ray
Super-Multi_Coated were the first lenses that Pentax produced with the new coatings. It was rather a big deal at the time - no one else had anything near it.

They later labeled the lenses S-M-C before switching to SMC - I think simultaneously with the K mount.

Any of these have superb coatings.
12-21-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Super-Multi_Coated were the first lenses that Pentax produced with the new coatings. It was rather a big deal at the time - no one else had anything near it.

They later labeled the lenses S-M-C before switching to SMC - I think simultaneously with the K mount.

Any of these have superb coatings.
Thanks CR,

I have a M42 to K adaptor and was interested in bidding on a 50mm f1.4 Pentax/Tak "super-multi-coated" lens, I think it's suppose to be one of the best 50mm..........right?

Thanks again,
Ray
12-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Igilligan

I have the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50 1.4 and love it... My favorite of all my oldies so far. It is on my camera more than my FA 50 1.4 is. I love the feel of the manual focus. And I really like the look of of the photos.
There may be a better one, some of the lens experts hopefully will weigh in.

good luck with the auction and dont spend too much on it.

12-22-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I have the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50 1.4 and love it... My favorite of all my oldies so far. It is on my camera more than my FA 50 1.4 is. I love the feel of the manual focus. And I really like the look of of the photos.
There may be a better one, some of the lens experts hopefully will weigh in.

good luck with the auction and dont spend too much on it.
Igilligan,

I'm just getting back into photography after a looooong layoff (I'm kinda use to manual settings from my K1000 days but it's been a long time).
Just purchased a K100DS W/kit lens because of rebate, and as it just happens, I have a few old "M" lenses laying around.

......This just in............won the Takumar M42 "super-multi-coat" 50mm f1.4 lens for $50 (+ $9 S&H)

Call me "old school" if you want, i'm EXITED about my new purchase!

Thanks again,
Ray
12-22-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer my supers over all my other lenses as well, all though I don't use them as often in the winter.
I don't like fumbling with anything while I'm in snow, so the K-mounts win.
12-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

According to what I have read, there was some sort of slight change to the coating materials and/or process which resulted in the name change from "Super-Multi-Coated" to "SMC". So they are different, but for practical purposes you would never be able to tell just from photos, I think.

Since there is a difference, when referring to "Super-Multi-Coated" is it more accurate to abbreviate as "S-M-C", although a great many people mistakenly abbreviate as "SMC", probably through ignorance of the difference. Since ignorance is rampant and the old saying "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance" is so true, when bidding on Takumars it is best to see a photo which clearly shows the front of the lens and verify it for yourself rather than rely on a seller's description. Also, some people seem to be under the mistaken impression that "SMC" is just a standard part of the name for any Pentax lens and they will include it even for lenses which predate the process, such as Super Takumars, Tele-Takumars, Auto-Takumars, etc. Always eyeball the item and verify.
12-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Raybo;137983]

Call me "old school" if you want, i'm EXITED about my new purchase!
[\QUOTE]

Thus it begins- bring on the LBA!

Congrats with your purchase and welcome to the forums!