Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
At the time Power Zoom in the lenses seems to be getting popular. There is one for Nikon 1 series and also Olympus announced one.

Would it be good when Pentax came with new or updated lenses (like DA*16-50, 50-135 and 60-250) with not only SDM-II but also Power Zoom?
You need a poll associated. I'd give it a thumbs up. It's surprising how useful it is, especially keeping the lens in focus during the zoom.

12-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Agreed. PZ is really nice. Before trying it I thought it to be just a gimmick, but after using it I like it. Zooming is faster than manually zooming, and I absolutely love the quick focusing while zooming.
12-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Count me as an advocate too. Power zoom is convenient in lots of situations. It just seems intuitive to use. The speed is forgiving and nicely ramped to allow slow and careful zoom cropping without blazing past your target size. Never found the various modes--zoom clip, zoom tracking, etc. helpful in field situations, but really like the power zooming itself, which is supported on many Pentax digi bodies.
12-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, power zooms would be great for video.. nice smooth and consistent! How about back to having the AF in the lens too! ... maybe not...

12-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I hate to be negative about this but you want yet another electronic gizmo that can fail, isn't SDM bad enough?
12-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I hate to be negative about this but you want yet another electronic gizmo that can fail, isn't SDM bad enough?
don't worry, they would get it right... even SDM will be right one day
12-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
I cant see PZ materialize, you need so much more computing power to evaluate the picture and zoom accordingly :S
I don't think that you understand the topic. Image size tracking was a feature of the PZ1 in about 1991. Surely you don't suggest that today's cameras have less computing power than the old ones. The way it worked had nothing to do with image evaluation. It simply evaluated the lens focal length, and changed focal length as focus distance changed. Since the camera knows both variables it is a simple equation to calculate the new focal length required to maintain the same image size at the focal plane on the sensor.

Maybe what we really need, is a PZ1 with a digital sensor ?
12-15-2011, 05:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Actually it is the other way around. I never had a zoom motor fail, and was somewhat surprised when i heard about the SDM failures as pentax has had as long a history with embedded motors as anyone

12-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thirdofthree Quote
Not sure I'd use the PZ features, and I definitely wouldn't want the extra weight / size that might go along with it. For example:

255g | 66 x 66mm | w/o PZ | FA 28-105/3.2-4.5 AL [IF]
515g | 73 x 96mm | w/. PZ | FA 28-105/4-5.6

Granted, PZ isn't the only difference between these two lenses (e.g. optical formula, shell material, etc.) But one of the things I like about my Pentax lenses is they're reasonably small and light weight.
One reason I took apart my FA 28-105 Power Zoom is to remove what I assumed was the giant cast-iron PZ motor. The motor is not that big so I didn't bother. It's the optics and barrels that are heavy for no reason, with a plastic exterior to hide the build quality. Very odd lens.

I'd like to see Pentax use the switch design from this old lens. When they start breaking, the market will be flooded with cheap lenses! BTW, that never happened with SDM lenses. I've never seen a lens with broken SDM for sale, and the used price for SDM lenses was never that low despite the cloud of doom.
12-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I never liked the idea of power zoom on an SLR lens, and don't want it. What problem does it solve? Looking at it from an engineer perspective, it only increases the cost and decreases the reliability of something that in theory should never wear out, a lens.
12-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Power zoom is particularly good for longer focal lenghts, with traditional zoom collars, you tend to stop holding the weight of the lens when zooming, IE stop cradling the lens and use your whole hand/forearm to turn the zoom collar, thus loosing a bit of stability, with the powerzoom, you continue to cradle the lens and keep it stable, as it only takes two fingers to zoom thru the entire range, so capture success rates increase, if fast action is about. And just like at focus collar, you just pull the zoom collar back to go to manual zoom.