Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Da-l 35/2.4?

12-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I think you've got enough good advice here already to answer your question as to a fast and affordable lens.
Fast fifty and/or f/2.8 wide-normal zooms abound, and they're not very expensive...
I guess I was mainly wondering if there was another third party in that category that might have been a decent price that I was unaware of.
I mostly look at tamron, but I know there are several other brands I'm just not up on them.

Manual focus will slow you down a little. But for maybe $200 I'd rather play around with the manual one for a bit I guess and see how it feels.
12-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
I guess I was mainly wondering if there was another third party in that category that might have been a decent price that I was unaware of.
The current 3rd-party makers of lenses for Pentax are Samyang, Sigma and Tamron. Fairly recent past brands include Zeiss, Tokina, and the house brands Promaster (Tamron) and Quantaray (Sigma). Manual-focus lenses from many brands abound, and I'm not going to list them all. If you want a new AF lens, your options are limited to Pentax, Tamron, and Sigma. If you can handle old MF (manual focus) lenses, your options are almost limitless. It comes down to budget.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-07-2012 at 08:35 PM.
12-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Don't reject flash right out of hand. The $180 would buy you a Metz AF36 flash, a P-TTL cord (to take the flash off the top of your camera) and a diffuser (to make the light gentler). This will take care of all your available light problems: dial in F5.6, 1/180s and ISO 100 and let the flash make it work.
I'd rather not be frequently firing a flash in a newborn's face...
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Firing a flash straight at anybody's face is a good way to get some craptastic photos.

That's probably why he suggested getting the flash off the camera.
it still needs to be pointed in their general direction.

Either way, it's not the solution that works best here.
You may well be missing out w/o the option of flash.
It never needs to be direct to the eyes.
In fact that is the recipe for poor looking, non-dimensional mug shots.
All shot will be non-direct and typically bounced.
Very often baby will be sleeping too, so no flash on the eye either.
I think I have some samples on my flickr page

ISO400 + f-whatever won't always cut it indoors, unless you are always near the window (eg. within 1m from it)

Ok, back to the question.
If you need AF, Tamron 17-50/2.8 or 28-75/2.8
If you can do manual any fast 50mm.

12-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #35
Veteran Member

There is always the option of turning on a lamp near the child.....
12-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Use flash with 1/4 power or lower is harmless.
Depends on the flash's max power...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Get the F 50 1.7 then. It's horribly plasticky but it's fast
I actually dig the look

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Unless you flatten the baby, you're going to have a lot that's out of focus.
Which can be a good thing.
12-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While a faster lens would help I think the answer is a K-x/K-r upgrade. Would this equal about 2 stops of iso improvement over a K-m? You could also add a M50/1.7 ($50ish) for times you want it to be even faster.
12-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
While a faster lens would help I think the answer is a K-x/K-r upgrade. Would this equal about 2 stops of iso improvement over a K-m? You could also add a M50/1.7 ($50ish) for times you want it to be even faster.
body upgrade puts me well out of budget, and overall I'm pretty happy with my K-m
I've ordered the horusbennu 50mm 1.7 manual focus.
A k-x in country here is about $533 USD.

12-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #39
Veteran Member

body upgrade puts me well out of budget, and overall I'm pretty happy with my K-m
I've ordered the horusbennu 50mm 1.7 manual focus.
A k-x in country here is about $533 USD.
And you can sell the K-m for $300+ (in Korea). Or buy a used K-x in the marketplace for $350-$400 and have a relative/friend ship it to you. This is how I buy all of my equipment because it's similarly expensive in Taiwan.

I completely agree with getting a fast MF 50. That's one way to increase shutter speed but you are also going to miss some photos due to DOF if you shoot at f2 or wide open. Imo you will want to use both options at some point. It's my main motivation for a possible K-5 upgrade.
12-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to the fantastically fast Korean internet shopping system, I received my lens less than 24 hours after I ordered it. So far, it's working pretty well. I don't find the 1.7 soft at all.
Even if I don't shoot at 1.7, I can shoot at what looks like 2.0 and 2.8.
Previously my fastest shot was the 3.5 on the stock lens, but that's only zoomed out. At 50mm, you can't drop it down that far.

I've noticed the company advertising an extender tube with this. I can already do Macro with my Tamron 70-300mm, but I'd be curious to see what kind of pictures are possible with the tube, and it's only about $10, so I may pick that up as well.

Last edited by crossmr; 12-17-2011 at 01:00 AM.
12-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats and well done!
12-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

Says who? Of course I bounce my flash but my 7 months old has not turned blind yet...
Says some baby magazine 7 years ago when my first was born.

Newborn's vision develops and doesn't like such intense changes.

I was just trying pass on some advice of caution, but all parents are different, so please carry on...
12-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Says some baby magazine 7 years ago when my first was born.
Baby magazine, bah! Everybody knows babies can't read!
12-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So far, it's working pretty well. I don't find the 1.7 soft at all.
Note that your shots are a bit underexposed. You should try to expose to the right, raising the ISO if necessary, rather than underexposing. Here is some advice, from my experience photographing my kid. And here are some examples of the difference that exposing to the right can make - check the K10D samples as they show a clearer advantage and I expect your K-m is closer to the K10D in low light performance.

Photographing your kid will be challenging, but you'll learn a lot. Have fun and keep thinking of ways to get better results!
12-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Note that your shots are a bit underexposed. You should try to expose to the right, raising the ISO if necessary, rather than underexposing. Here is some advice, from my experience photographing my kid. And here are some examples of the difference that exposing to the right can make - check the K10D samples as they show a clearer advantage and I expect your K-m is closer to the K10D in low light performance.

Photographing your kid will be challenging, but you'll learn a lot. Have fun and keep thinking of ways to get better results!
Yes, I was using the K-ms light sensor to adjust, I could set it to +1 to see.