Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help me choose something to Rent

Hello All,

I'm itching to try some new (new to me that is) Pentax glass over the holidays. I'm thinking about renting 1-2 lenses from cameralensrentals.com and I could use some community input on what to try...

I've got the 18-135, the 21mm, the 43mm, the DA 55-300mm, and the tamron 90mm macro. I've also got the tamron 2x teleconverter.

I was thinking about some of the DA* choices, or maybe the Bigma.

Mostly I'll be doing family gathering shooting, but since I get a bit of time off at this time of the year, I might have time for some new england wildlife / landscape photography. I live in NYC and I might be visiting my brother in boston, so there could be some city, on the street, shooting as well.

Recommendations??
Suggestions??

12-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I rent from them too, great service.

The 10-17 fisheye is something you should play with. You may never want to own one, but they're so fun to play with...

Your lens assortment is pretty good, though, I've got to say.
I rented the DA 35mm macro a while ago and want to buy one now.
12-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Rent some crazy fast lenses, like the sigma 85mm F1.4 or 300 2.8- those are very fun! Or maybe a macro lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Huh... Adam, neither of those are available from cameralensrentals... Do you know of another shop that rents FA glass? I think I will try the fisheye... I've never worked with one. That or the 55mm f1.4

12-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe the DA 12-24. The FE is fun in small dozes.
12-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, go crazy- the FA 250-600 if they have it!
12-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 10-17 and 12-24.

12-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i went for the 12-24 and the 60-250. i'll have them for 10 days!
12-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

how bout the FA77?
i use CLR too and love their service. Last lens i rented from them was the FA*28-70 and it was awesome!
I think i'll try the Bigma next, as long tele is uncharted territory for me.
have fun.
12-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Go wide! For family gatherings, particularly in tight spaces, something <18mm can make all the difference. I chose the Tamron 10-24 last year because it was a steal at $365 with rebate and have never regretted it. The other buy that has been used a LOT is my FA50/1.4 for those low light situations where the 4's and 5.6's just can't do the job.
12-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually canceled the order... I had a weird series of events.

1. They emailed me asking for a copy of my drivers license or a utility bill. I complied.
2. Then, I received an email telling me that they could not fill the order because of flooding in Thailand.
3. I received a phone call telling me that they had been concerned that I was trying perpetrate fraud because I live in the Bronx and that they have had some issues with customers from the Bronx and that the signature on my driver's license did not look correct, so the order had been held up. Then, I was told that I could go ahead and have my order because apparently the commissioner of motor vehicles, whose signature is on my driver's license signs his name in two different ways and mine was the less common way, but once verified the order could go ahead.
4. At this point I requested that my order be cancelled because I didn't feel comfortable with this sort of customer service.
5. Then, I received an apology email. I replied saying that I understood that they needed to protect themselves but that I didn't understand this B.S. email about flooding in Thailand and wasn't comfortable with the fraud implication.
6. Then I recieved an email saying, "what b.s. email about flooding in thailand?" To which I replied by forwarding the message.
7. Then I was informed that this was a form email. I asked, why do you send form emails that don't apply to the situtation at hand? I didn't get an answer to that question.
8. In the end, I didn't go through with the order... They apologized and suggested I check reseller ratings for confirmation of their good business practices.

Am I out of line? I don't know... I know they are just trying to do business safely. I just felt that this whole situation could have been handled more professionally. In the end, I didn't feel good about sending them off $150 of my hard earned money.

So no lenses. For now. I will likely relent as they are the only option for Pentax lens rental that I am aware of.
12-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never had any issues like that with CLR. They even called me when UPS couldn't deliver twice. Too bad, I'm sure you'd enjoy the 12-24. I'd like to rent that sometime, too.
12-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

sorry to hear that. just to share an experience i had with them:

i reserved lenses for an event and at some point prior to the event, i got an email saying the lens intended for me had never been returned, something to that effect. I panicked of course and got an email saying they were purchasing a new one and having it drop shipped to me directly so it would arrive in time for my shooting gig. that was pretty great customer svc!
12-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is impressive service. Probably I was being ridiculous... I ought to give them a chance instead of biting off my nose to spite my face.