Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax M 50 1.4 on Leica RF!

This was linked from T.O.P. (The Online Photographer) today - kinda neat. (I think John Flores was partially responsible for bringing the image to Mike's attention?)

12-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

This was linked from T.O.P. (The Online Photographer) today - kinda neat. (I think John Flores was partially responsible for bringing the image to Mike's attention?)

Interesting, I am curious as to how well the rangefinder coupling works. The M 50/1.4 is a much broader focus range than Leica M and I suspect that the rangefinder coupler lever will be at full extension long before the M 50 has finished its travel for near focus. Still, though, it is a cool adaptation!

Steve
12-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm not sure it was me, as this is the first time I've seen this image. I did send Mike @ TOP a link to the $2000 Leica box recently...
10-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #4

Hi All,

the above are my camera and lens. The 50/1.4 matches the Leica RF calibration very well. Here are more details on the conversion:

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4 - ferider's Photos

All the best,

Roland.

10-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ferider Quote
Hi All,

the above are my camera and lens. The 50/1.4 matches the Leica RF calibration very well. Here are more details on the conversion:

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4 - ferider's Photos

All the best,

Roland.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! This is a very cool conversion, though I am still amazed that the rangefinder calibration works, but as I think about it, there is no reason why it should not work. For a non-internal focus lens, the travel for the optics from 1m to infinity should be the same across lenses for a given focal length. Since the Leica is calibrated for the 50mm focal length all you needed was an appropriately sized extension to engage the rangefinder cam.

Ingenious!

Steve
10-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

BTW...may I ask how the M 50/1.7 performs in comparison to the Leitz product?

Steve
10-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #7

Hi Steve,

thanks !

The Leica M rangefinder movement is calibrated for a focal length of 51.6mm. It's a lucky coincidence that the Pentax lens seems to have an effective focal length very close to that, which makes it perform well on the M both at infinity and close focus. I converted a second lens for a friend. This is the first lens shot through the second lens on an M, you can see that focus is spot on:

I don't have modern Leica lenses to compare to. But it compares very well to my 50/1.4 Summilux from the late 60s, it has less distortion, and to my eyes, the OOF is smoother.

Best,

Roland.
10-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.