Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Broken DA* 50-135mm... Screwed $800?

Hey guys,
So a while back I have sold a lens to a member here on the forum and she received it broken. Sending it via UPS and not recalling buying insurance, neither of us asked UPS to pay the money for the lens. (This was during the summer). I sent the lens to CRIS Cam under warranty and have just now received an estimate for "Damages beyond repair" and "Special Pentax replacement" of $800. Don't really know what to do. It's impossible for UPS to reimburse me now. Any suggestions as to what to do? Very stressful... I guess the new computer for Christmas will have to be postponed again...

12-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a bit of a should've, could've, but didn't. First as your well aware you should've insured something like that. (I then photograph the item how I have packed it - box open, seal it and post) if the package is damaged I would be right on the blower to the shipping company within a day of finding out. I am not sure on the legal side of things but they probably have conditions that specify a claim period or something of that nature. Otherwise I think you're out of luck.
12-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
File a claim with UPS immediately. You probably will not get anything but 1 chance in a hundred is better than nothing. I would take pictures of the lens as it arrived, get a statement from the buyer as to the condition it arrived in and file a claim. I suspect you are beyond the claim period but who knows.
12-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you've screwed only $701, not $800.

Please don't take my words, but ask UPS. I think $99 insurance is included in the shipping cost.

12-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote

Please don't take my words, but ask UPS. I think $99 insurance is included in the shipping cost.
I'm fairly certain that up to $100 of insurance in included with UPS shipments. However, if the OP didn't declare the value of the package at $100, then I'm not sure if he'd be covered for any damages up to $100. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to call UPS and find out, but given the amount of time that has passed I wouldn't except him to be able to collect anything at this point.
12-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote

Depends on the shipping method, and I believe weight of the item as well. It is usually a relatively small amount, the only item I recall having a flat fixed amount is international express mail, which is insured for $100 (with option to add more at minimal cost).

Edit: I see it was shipped UPS not USPS - I think they have a higher included insurance, certainly worth a check, but a tough situation for the OP nonetheless.
12-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Depends on the shipping method, and I believe weight of the item as well. It is usually a relatively small amount, the only item I recall having a flat fixed amount is international express mail, which is insured for $100 (with option to add more at minimal cost).
You're thinking USPS, not UPS. But you are correct, USPS does include $100 of insurance for international express mail.

12-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
You're thinking USPS, not UPS. But you are correct, USPS does include $100 of insurance for international express mail.
You ninja'd my edit!
12-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Months later, after the packaging has been tossed, and the lens was reshipped elsewhere...I would not expect UPS to do anything.
12-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
You ninja'd my edit!

Believe it or not, my "ninja" shipping skills got me paid $100 to participate in a one-hour USPS interview earlier this week. I guess shipping over 100 packages a year with them put me on their radar
12-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
Banned

For future, alway send such stuff with insurrance.
12-17-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I think all hope was long lost. Lesson learned the hard way I guess.
12-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm very sorry to hear about your trouble. I learned a similar lesson when I sold a Samsung DSLR on eBay and I shipped it USPS First Class (at his request, to save shipping costs). He claimed he never got it, but with First Class, there's no way to prove one way or the other. So PayPal/eBay refunded him the $300, and I was left without the camera. Definitely not a good feeling throwing away $300 that was supposed to go toward my next lens purchase. So now anytime I ship outside the US, I use either Priority International or Express, and fully insure it.
12-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For future, alway send such stuff with insurrance.
nope. for future, AVOID UPS AT ALL COST !
12-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Always take photos of the package with the shipping labels as proof of shipping to the buyer as well as in the event of a dispute.
I've shipped plenty of packages worldwide, some without insurance and I've never had any dispute from dubious or deadbeat buyers that was unfavorable to me.