Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Ed in GA

lens hoods, lens caps, UV filters and camera storage

There have been quite a number of threads concerning the pro and con use of UV filters. Some use them, some don't and some say the lens hood offers adequate protection.

My question concerns carrying your camera in your bag and whether or not you leave the lens cap on.

So, whether or not you use a uv filter, do you leave your lens cap on or off of the lens attached to your camera when it is in your bag?

If you leave it off, and have the hood attached, have you ever scratched your lens or filter when getting it ready for use?

I've recently noticed that it seems to be a bit of a hassle, not to mention time consuming, to take the cap off and get the lens hood turned around when first taking my camera from my bag.

Anyone?

12-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I store my lenses with the lens hood in place with a lens cap on. I try to get those pinch style lens capes that allow me to take them off with a lens hood in place. It only takes a second to remove the lens cap which promptly goes into an open pocket. I then dust it off quickly and place it back on the lens for storage in the bag when done.
12-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I leave the hoods on my lenses all the time (not reversed) because a few of them are a real pain to flip. They've got center pinch caps too, but whether or not I replace the caps depends on if I can remember which pocket I dropped the cap into. I'd say, usually, the lens is in the bag with a UV and hood, but no cap.
12-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The choice of using the UV "protection" or not has been an ongoing debate for at least 40 years. There are those that say "Always - the filter is cheaper than the lens" and those who say "Never another piece of glass is another source of flare". I use the filter in places where I can reasonably expect something nasty to be flying around in the air, but most of the time I do not.

My lenses, when in the bag, are stored with hoods reversed and lens caps on. The reversed hood is simply because I have no room in the bag to do otherwise. It is full.

12-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I store my lenses with UV filter and cap on, and hood reversed. It conserves space.
It's true that sometimes it's a bit hussle, but usualy I have 10 seconds or so to place hood in the right manner.
I take off cap only when I believe I'll shoot soon, because it is still the best lens protection.

Branimir