Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #1

Lens for *istD L2

I only own the kit lens. Hubby will not let me buy a new lens, says that I am better off getting a new camera with a better lens and capabilities than wasting my money on a new lens that will cost just as much. Does Pentax have any good F1.8 to F2.8 lens that are not over $500?? It appears on my learning sites that Nikon and Canon both have good lens like this for around $100.

Thanks.

12-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #2

How about the 50mm f1.4? or 35mm 2.4? What type of lens are you looking for?

Canon and Nikon actually have a much better lens line up tbh, Pentax need to bring out some more ranges and better prices.
12-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
I want a lens that will take good people pictures.
12-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't mind manual focus/green button metering, there are lots of choices under $100. 28mm/2.8, 50mm/1.7, 135mm/2.8, etc. A bit of learning and a couple extra steps involved, but the results are worth it

12-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
Where do you find these lenses.. I am open to anything. oh, and what is green button metering???
12-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #6

The 50mm F1.4 is under $500 and is Auto Focus, it will be great for portraits. You could get a manual focus one and save yourself a lot of money though.

pentax 50mm f1.4 - Flickr: Search - Flickr search for the lens to get an idea of how it performs.

Manual focus 1.4 is roughly just over $100, its not too hard to manual focus well (especially with the catch in focus) but can be bad for those times when you need a quick picture. :S
12-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Read here: Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
and here: The Usage of Green Button - PentaxForums.com

Your camera will accept any k-mount lens. These can be found under the Pentax brand ("M" lenses or the older "K" lenses), also 3rd party brands like Vivitar and others. These are manual focus/metering lenses.
You can find these lenses on ebay, craigslist, and on the Marketplace here in the forums. Check out the lenses in the Lens Review section as well.

This might be a good one to start with: SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Superb image quality for about $50.

Last edited by paulh; 12-18-2011 at 10:16 AM.
12-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Read here: Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- and here: The Usage of Green Button Your camera will accept any k-mount lens. These can be found under the Pentax brand ("M" lenses or the older "K" lenses), also 3rd party brands like Vivitar and others. These are manual focus/metering lenses. You can find these lenses on ebay, craigslist, and on the Marketplace here in the forums. Check out the lenses in the Lens Review section as well. This might be a good one to start with: SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database Superb image quality for about $50.
Would add checking out KEH for a good used lens I have had good results dealing with them . I have never had a problem with them, nor e-bay for that matter.

12-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Would add checking out KEH for a good used lens I have had good results dealing with them . I have never had a problem with them, nor e-bay for that matter.
Good point - forgot about KEH...
12-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tj7933 Quote
I only own the kit lens. Hubby will not let me buy a new lens, says that I am better off getting a new camera with a better lens and capabilities than wasting my money on a new lens that will cost just as much. Does Pentax have any good F1.8 to F2.8 lens that are not over $500?? It appears on my learning sites that Nikon and Canon both have good lens like this for around $100.
Beyond the basics, the capabilities of camera bodies are ephemeral. Cameras have become much like computers (which, indeed, is what they now are in large part), becoming outdated every few years. Of course a camera or computer doesn't become any less usable than it was when you bought it (unless it breaks), but better new stuff comes out regularly. Use your camera body for as long as it does what you need -- just as with computers, there is always something better coming around the corner.

A good lens is a work of craft and optical precision that will last, and last, and last, given reasonable care. Many of us here on the forums regularly use lenses made 30 or more years ago. Part of the beauty of Pentax is this superb compatibility with older lenses. If you're willing to deal with a completely manual lens, I agree with paulh that the SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm (AKA the M 50 1.7), which can be found for $50 or so in good condition, is an extraordinary value. Or for automatic aperture control, the A version of that lens should still cost less than $100.

Another option, a new DA 35 2.4 goes for about $170, fully automatic. Again, good value.

If you're willing to go up to $500, you have loads of options. Decide which features are important to you -- autofocus, auto aperture -- and what focal length or lengths you want to cover. "People pictures" can cover a lot of different types of pictures, from close-up portraits to group shots.

Edit: As if to prove my point, here's a new listing on the forum marketplace with both the M and A versions of the 50 1.7, in the price range I mentioned. (I have no affiliation with the seller.)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/168929-sale-sold-pentax-50m...0mm-2-0-a.html

Last edited by baro-nite; 12-18-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: addendum
12-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter

If you want auto-focus, the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 would also be a nice choice. I think it is available for about $170 new from Amazon, certainly should be less than $200. It will be easier to use than the manual focus 50mm lenses, although those can produce amazing pictures as well. Or you could get a DA 40mm/2.8. On my K100d (same sensor as your camera I believe) that was hands down my favorite lens. Amazing for people pictures. I think you can find one for under $300. You WILL notice an improvement from the DA 18-55, that I promise.
12-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A newer camera would not come with a better lens - at least, not enough better that you'd even notice. The basic quality of the consumer-grade lenses included with camera "kits" really has not changed in at least a decade or two. On the other hand, your husband might be right that a better camera would make a bigger difference than a better lens. That depends on what *specifically* you are finding lacking with your current setup. You mention wanting a larger maximum aperture, so perhaps you are needing faster shutter speeds for available light photography, or wanting more ability to create shallow DOF? If so, and if by "people" you mean posed portraits, then I'd concur with the recommendation for a manual focus 50mm lens. Depending on which version you get, you could be looking at anywhere from $20 to $200. At this point, I'd probably recommend the M50/1.7 as the best compromise. But if you are thinking more casual candids than formal portraits, the DA35/2.4 would be obvious choice.