Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could add that you know you have LBA when you are given off brand lenses that can't be modified to PK and then start looking for an off brand camera to put them on!

12-20-2011, 03:17 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
ok hoanpham - no nex for me. least not atm anyway. *snarf*

i have taks, adaptalls, russians, and some quirky off brands. it's a multicultural free for all party in my spare bedroom. atm. m42s and k mounts abound although they have their separate bags to sleep in.

i pretty much have the range covered now and am starting to get off the LBA wagon *gasp* and start looking for "special" lenses rather than your stock standards. Yet I'm still falling off the wagon every once in a while. (Did I just confuse my metaphor?), and broke my no more 135 ban. *sigh*
12-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
You could add that you know you have LBA when you are given off brand lenses that can't be modified to PK and then start looking for an off brand camera to put them on!
ooo! good one bruce! i'll add that one now.
12-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #19
Pentaxian

My other gift is the tamron adaptall 70-150 soft focus.
There is an old thread about this lens here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84187-soft-foc...ly-useful.html

Otherwise I was looking for Sony/Minolta 135 STF, but this lens is out of my reach financially.

I may start some mod work with 'apodization filter':
Markus Keinath - DIY Apodisation Filter
Look at the super smooth bokeh of these modified (!)
Your unused duplicates definitely have a useful application.

12-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
i talked myself out of a 70-150 despite the good reviews. i'm a good gal. i don't need it. *nods to self*
12-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You know you have LBA when you start writing lengthy posts about LBA in order to distract yourself from searching for that next lens......................
12-20-2011, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

There is a smart and a stupid approach to LBA...

The smart way means going after lenses with stellar optical and general performance, which means planning, setting aside money and buying few but good lenses. It means having an uncompromising attitude towards quality and usability and not being swayed by price alone.

The stupid way is to buy without putting any thought to optical quality, overlapping focal lengths, or general performance but just because the price is dirt cheap. With this approach, one ends up with plenty of mediocre sub-standard junk. The worse thing is many who fall into this approach are blissfully unaware they are blowing plenty of money on crap because the've been suckered or lured by low prices. The many who I know who fall into this category end up being lens collectors rather than actual shooters. By way of analogy, what's the point of having a hundred kitchen knives that can't cut when all you need is one excellent blade.
12-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
Been here!
Was a scary time for the rebelion...

12-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Been here!
Was a scary time for the rebelion...
ah yup been there too, a scarey slope indeed.
12-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
There is a smart and a stupid approach to LBA...
Strong stuff for a humorous thread. Maybe a helpful dose of medicine for some, but still...

Talking about lens buying as opposed to LBA, it's not smart to be so uncompromising that you pass up a lens that would be genuinely useful to you just because it's not "the best", while lusting after a lens you can't afford. The ideal lens does you no good if you don't have it on your camera.

Addiction is not rational, so LBA is not rational. If you enjoy acquiring cheap oddities and aren't hurting yourself financially, it's not stupid unless it sidetracks you away from actual photography, e.g. learning how to use the gear you have better, or thinking rationally about and acquiring the gear you would really benefit most from. Then again, given the context of this thread I am shading rather close to begging the question here. wolfiegirl, it would be the pot calling the kettle black for me to say you need to slow down, really slow down. I simply ask: do you have a plan for the gear you really want?
12-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Smart ways vs dumb ways, eh? I'll suggest that life ain't so simple.

If we wanted only the highest-rated lenses, we'd all have nothing but Ltds and T*s, or more likely high-end CaNikon zooms. This makes sense for some kinds of professional work. But the top-rated and most optically impeccable lens might not have the qualities we want for our own shooting; and we might not KNOW what we want until we've tried numerous alternatives. (Ya gotta kiss a lotta frogs to find the prince, etc.) And the most brilliant lens might not be the most usable.

Usability: I have some great 135s, including S-M-C Taks at f/2.5 & f/3.5. But for walkabout I'll likely take my Tak-Bayonet 135/2.5 although it lacks S.M.C. Why? Because it has the closest focus of any of my 135s, and a built-in lens hood, and character that I like. The S-M-C 135/2.5 is stunning; the Tak-B 135/2.5 is flexible. Different tools for different jobs.

I have a pile of Fifties. I don't regard any of them as trash. Some are better than others at specific tasks: I don't use the K50/1.2, FA50/1.4, Meyer Primotar-E 50/3.5, MacroTak 50/4(1x), Petri CC 55/1.8, or Helios-44 58/2 for the same purposes. Would a DA*55 macro be 'better' than many of them? Maybe; but I like the effects I get with those.

I have a few lenses in the 75-90mm range of varied character, from wide-open-soft (Jupiter-9 85/2) to brutally sharp (enlarger and macro lenses). And I'll admit to using a Sony 1.5x adapter atop my FA50/1.4 giving me a 75/1.4 optic that's very interesting for portraits. And it cost rather less than an 85/1.5. And it's usable. That's important to me.

Last example: I've mentioned (in various threads) the ultralight minikit I'm building. It currently contains an Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 (110g); Vivitar-LU 75/3.5 EL on tubes (90g); CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (12 iris blades, 110g), and (temporarily) Loreo 35/11 shift Lens-In-A Cap (30g). All were cheap. All have character. I'm searching for an ultralight 28mm (or wider) for the wide end of the kit. I *could* (and sometimes do) use my M28/2.8 (150g) but I lust for the exotic Rikenon XR 28/3.5 Aspheric (70g). Lighter is better. But probably not the pancake Takumar 18/8 fisheye (90g) which may be unusable. There may ba a reason it's the only pancake fisheye every built, eh?

Anyway, the purpose of that mini-kit ISN'T to assemble the most brilliant optics, but to have a tiny bag I can stuff into a cargo pocket or belt pouch, so the unique qualities of the glass is readily available. Would something like a Sigma 24-135/2.8-4 be more convenient (and weigh about the same)? Sure. But that's not my goal. I like idiosyncratic primes because they force me to see in certain ways. And I can substitute other small light lenses: Industar-50-2 f/3.5 (70g) and M28/2.8, or a different 70-80mm EL. If I can find an affordable pancake in the 18-24mm range, I'll maybe do another mini-kit: the Twenty, and tiny Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 (100g), and 75+110mm ELs on tubes.

One lens does not fit all circumstances. Variety is spice. And: The best lens is the lens that you use; the worst lens is one you DON'T use.

EDIT: I also justify my lens accumulation as a sort of research library. That's useful when questions arise about many lenses. Similar to my southwestern crafts acumulation, with representative samples of pottery by major makers from most pueblos. Yeah, I'm just a librarian at heart (and in former employment). That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

It's not LBA. It's research.

Last edited by RioRico; 12-20-2011 at 10:28 AM.
12-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Too much work, even each will take 20-30 minuttes. hard to modify them nicely and professionally. So I listen to RioRico and excanonfd and pick the easy way to give LBA a new life:

Just got myself another early christmas gift: nex5n with evf
That is likely your worse nightmare to begin with all the adapters in the world to most of the lens mount as in Pentax K, M42, L39/M39/LTM, Pentax Auto 110, Leica M, Olympus Pen-F, Contax G, adaptall-2 and all the SLR mounts in Canon EF, Nikon, Olympus OM, Minolta MD, YC Yashica Contax, Konica AR etc. And if one is silly enough (that is likely me), one can have MF with 645/67 with multiple adapters stacked on each other with the Pentax K to NEX adapter and your 5N can shoot with some MF lens. I can't justify the experiment except that the Pentax 645 A 120mm f/4.0 macro is one of the finest macro lens that I have used and it can be shared between K and 645 mount.

And the above pictures only listed 4 adapters that I purchased with my 5N and I have 3 more adapters of different mounts not seeing the daylight yet as they are locked up somewhere to control my LBA flare up. Oh, I forget to mention that one good thing (or the worse lba excuse) is that there is no need for green button to stop-down for metering and the multi-metering, ttl flash all work seamlessly fine like native E mount lens sans the AF. Wouldn't it be fantastic if Pentax comes out with non-crippled K mount in the near future ..... And we can only wish .....

M42 pancake -- it is a shame the M42 adapter is way too big
The lens may be touch thicker than the DA 40 but really small otherwise
Filter size is 36mm

M39 pancacke -- this is truly thin like the DA 40 limited
filter size roughly 25.5mm

Pentax Auto 110 lenses can be used wide open
limiting but the cuttest
Pentax Auto 110 24mm f/2.8 in picture
filter size 25.5mm

Shame I know ......
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-20-2011 at 11:27 AM.
12-20-2011, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
By way of analogy, what's the point of having a hundred kitchen knives that can't cut when all you need is one excellent blade.
This is about two-thirds of my chisel collection. It does not include (and this is absolutely true) my wife's chisels:

12-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff:
By way of analogy, what's the point of having a hundred kitchen knives that can't cut when all you need is one excellent blade.
I don't use the same excellent blade for carving turkeys, chopping onions, gutting jalapenos, slicing tomatoes, and paring carrots. Different jobs, different tools. And I still have all my fingers. !Que milagro!

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
This is about two-thirds of my chisel collection. It does not include (and this is absolutely true) my wife's chisels:
What a chiseler!!

Reminds me of a carpenter friend who has his set of everyday wood-butchery saws, his fine cabinetry saws, and his wall-mounted collection of vintage saws -- some of which get pressed into service for special projects.

Just as different cutting tools of various quality have their purpose (I use a DULL knife to spread peanut butter, you-betcha!) so do different-quality lenses. My little Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 doesn't compete in optical quality with my Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 nor SuperTak 105/2.8 -- but it's quite unobtrusive, half the size of a SuperTak 35/3.5, and sometimes that's important. I'll use an M50/2 (one of my three) in conditions where I'd hesitate to risk the K50/1.2. And a Petzval-type Simpson 86/2.5 projector lens has 'pop' that just doesn't exist in newer corrected optics like a Nikkor 85/2.

Last edited by RioRico; 12-20-2011 at 12:27 PM.
12-20-2011, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

shiiit I have it too!!!!!!! I knew it!!!