Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
shiiit I have it too!!!!!!! I knew it!!!
LBA is not as bad, it just hurt you badly, badly financially.
Oh, i forgot, storage space as well, you may need to design a cabinet for these glasses.
And cant be worse than 100 pairs of shoes...

12-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ohh mann, I hope I don't reach that point where I need a cabinet for my lenses. I'm still new and I'm still trying to control and talk myself out on spending money on lenses (specially the limiteds ) and the funny thing is, I only have the entry level k-r and I'm already planning on spending a lot on those lenses. It's same with my motorcycle hobby... I have a cheap bike, but my gear is. . .
12-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
There is a smart and a stupid approach to LBA...

The smart way means going after lenses with stellar optical and general performance, which means planning, setting aside money and buying few but good lenses. It means having an uncompromising attitude towards quality and usability and not being swayed by price alone.

The stupid way is to buy without putting any thought to optical quality, overlapping focal lengths, or general performance but just because the price is dirt cheap. With this approach, one ends up with plenty of mediocre sub-standard junk. The worse thing is many who fall into this approach are blissfully unaware they are blowing plenty of money on crap because the've been suckered or lured by low prices. The many who I know who fall into this category end up being lens collectors rather than actual shooters. By way of analogy, what's the point of having a hundred kitchen knives that can't cut when all you need is one excellent blade.
Analogy doesn't work as there are hundreds of different types of knives just like there are lenses. Also, some don't want to have 1 lens that cost more than their camera body but would rather cover a variety of needs with different lenses that others claim are inferior. I love reading posts from those who only know that they spent a LOT on their lens and so it must, therefore obviously, be wonderful. Your characterization of LBA types is offensive and, frankly, arrogant to boot. Ignored from now on.
12-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You know you have LBA when you start writing lengthy posts about LBA in order to distract yourself from searching for that next lens......................
BWAHAHAHA. BUSTED! although... i did manage to win another 135 last night..... so writing this post didn't REALLY work... :ugh: The good news though is that it's only going to set me back $10.50.

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
wolfiegirl, it would be the pot calling the kettle black for me to say you need to slow down, really slow down. I simply ask: do you have a plan for the gear you really want?
hrmm.. i might edit the original post to clarify. i put together this list more to have a 'complete-ish' list for all the funny ways we justify and go through LBA and just for a bit of a laugh, to make people coming into LBA feel a little better about their purchases. "Heck my LBA ain't so bad! I only fit 2 of that crazy list wolfiegirl put together!" "OMG, someone did WHAT?? you DREAM of lenses??? I am perfectly normal in comparison to YOU" etc

The full list isn't necessarily an indication of my current LBA status. Some of the statements I have experienced first hand (the camera store guy, the dreams, the terror of discovering what i bought wasn't what i needed/was a duplicate of what i owned). But others, like the modding and the tragic scenario of wolfieboy selling my lens collection after i die isn't (chances are he'll go before me because he's a cradlesnatcher )

As to a plan for the gear I own? Yup. *watches LBA laugh itself silly* I started off with the intention of filling in a gap I found I had in my kit lens. Then I rapidly realised that my dabbling in photography was fairly amateur. There's a reason why I stuck with the kit lens for 5 years straight and used the K100d only on the programmable modes as a Point and Shoot. Looking into this forum initially, I didn't understand half of what you guys were going on about (bokeh? aperture? DOF? WTF?), and the language of lenses (primes, presets, anyone???) just went over my head. For me, buying a range of lenses and using each of them has taught me more about photography than paying someone x amount of cash for a course. Theory only gets me so far. I prefer hands on with results. "Why didn't that photo work??" "OOoo.. check out what this 1.8/55 can do!!" etc

So after the macro 90mm tammy was bought, my plan was to deck myself out with a few more lenses to broaden my 18-50 and 50-200 kit lens. Make sure I cover the focal lengths etc. I must admit, I was also getting a bit bored with just the two zooms. There'd be months that would go by where I wouldn't pick up the camera at all. The LBA (and this forum by default) has forced me into taking photos every day, and I'd like to think that a. my photography has improved, and b. i'm better appreciating what i've got, in terms of where i live (out in the sticks) and what beautiful wolfies i have. it's also nice to share what i see everyday with you Pentaxian Peeps.

Having accidently acquired a few m42s, and now that I know what some of these m42s do, and the capitulation to buying a second camera body (kx), my revised plan is to have two lens kits. one m42 and one k mount that covers the full focal range, with primes at key lengths that i use. I'm never going to buy an 18mm prime (famous last words I know ) because I just don't shoot that wide. The widest I've gone is 35mm - I learnt this by noticing I didn't miss the lack of the FL when using the F 35-70. If you don't miss it when it's not available you realise you didn't need it to begin with!

Once I settle on the lenses that I keep on going to, the plan is to sell off the rest. I'm noticing more and more that I keep on going back to certain lenses. So already there's a semi-cull pile - although I need to go through them a few more times before I decide "yup, don't need it". Either way, no matter what I do, I'm still ahead in terms of cash. The original Pentax macro I was eyeing when I first started was in the $500 mark. Based on my last spreadsheet calculation, I've spent around that much on lenses (we'll disregard the second camera body for now shall we?) and for the same price as that macro lens, I now have a better understanding of photography, what "my style" of photography is, and a renewed passion in this hobby. And that is priceless.

You may or may not have (probably the latter rather than the former) noticed that my acquisitions have dwindled a bit more since the initial flurry. I've set myself a semi benchmark of 8+ ratings or more in the review section, and I do ask myself what lens this latest purchase will replace, etc. What gaps do I have left that I want to fill? And I must say, there aren't many more spots left! Even the latest adaptall 135 was bought, because I was so disappointed with the Tak 135 2.5 Bayonet. That's not to say one bad photo from the Takkie means it goes into the trash pile. It's more I want to learn how an Adaptall 2.8 compares to a Tak 2.5. And for $10, that's a cheap lesson to pay for.

My overall budget of lenses under $50 only also helps. I have to really *really* want it/need it in order to go over that budget. That, or someone tells me I really need it/want it.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Variety is spice. And: The best lens is the lens that you use; the worst lens is one you DON'T use.
Hear, hear, Rico!

On the weekend, I seriously looked at my lens collection and thought "gee, I've tried out pretty much all of these. Boring now. Let's try something different." *snarf* and then promptly slapped myself for saying it. I blame it on the LBA

That, and come on guys, you gotta admit. Playing with lenses is FUN!!!!! And isn't that what photography is all about? Having fuN?

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 12-20-2011 at 05:47 PM.
12-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
That, and come on guys, you gotta admit. Playing with lenses is FUN!!!!! And isn't that what photography is all about? Having fuN?
Agree and admit, can't wait to play with my canon 85/1.2 and nikkor 180/2.8

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
That is likely your worse nightmare to begin with all the adapters in the world to most of the lens mount
Just ordered 8 adapters, incl tilt and shift.
I know what you mean, and thank you for your concern. I had been resist to get a nex so far. I can blame the seller of canon fd 85/1.2. She was the reason i got the lens, and that lens is the main reason to get the nex.
I am still happy that Leica is not in my wish list yet.
12-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Just ordered 8 adapters, incl tilt and shift.
I know what you mean, and thank you for your concern. I had been resist to get a nex so far. I can blame the seller of canon fd 85/1.2. She was the reason i got the lens, and that lens is the main reason to get the nex.
I am still happy that Leica is not in my wish list yet.
those pictures of the nex looked so pretty!!! umm no don't need. see? i can resist!!

you know i'm noticing lots of listings now say 3/4 compatible etc. does that mean the second hand market is going to go up in price because everyone's buying adapters to use old lenses on?
12-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once I settle on the lenses that I keep on going to, the plan is to sell off the rest. I'm noticing more and more that I keep on going back to certain lenses. So already there's a semi-cull pile - although I need to go through them a few more times before I decide "yup, don't need it". Either way, no matter what I do, I'm still ahead in terms of cash. The original Pentax macro I was eyeing when I first started was in the $500 mark. Based on my last spreadsheet calculation, I've spent around that much on lenses (we'll disregard the second camera body for now shall we?) and for the same price as that macro lens, I now have a better understanding of photography, what "my style" of photography is, and a renewed passion in this hobby. And that is priceless.
Cheers wolfie, and I agree entirely. For those of us for whom photography is a hobby, we don't need any justification other than learning and having fun.

12-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
This is about two-thirds of my chisel collection. It does not include (and this is absolutely true) my wife's chisels:

Hah Hah Hah - REALLY sharp knives!!
12-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
There is a smart and a stupid approach to LBA...

The smart way means going after lenses with stellar optical and general performance, which means planning, setting aside money and buying few but good lenses. It means having an uncompromising attitude towards quality and usability and not being swayed by price alone.

The stupid way is to buy without putting any thought to optical quality, overlapping focal lengths, or general performance but just because the price is dirt cheap. With this approach, one ends up with plenty of mediocre sub-standard junk. The worse thing is many who fall into this approach are blissfully unaware they are blowing plenty of money on crap because the've been suckered or lured by low prices. The many who I know who fall into this category end up being lens collectors rather than actual shooters. By way of analogy, what's the point of having a hundred kitchen knives that can't cut when all you need is one excellent blade.
It just means that you've already been there and done that already. Looking at your signature line, I'd bet they're all shiny and new - more in line with collector's criteria than mine which are mostly user lenses. As for the hundred knives analogy, while a hundred dull knives can be quite deadly to the user, one hundred mediocre lenses can deliver some funky images - each to his/her own...
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Simple solution:
MZ-s
K5
FA31
FA43
FA77
Shoot with them

(I know, I can't do it either)
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Simple solution:
MZ-s
K5
FA31
FA43
FA77
Shoot with them

(I know, I can't do it either)
12-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
I'm still new and I'm still trying to control and talk myself out on spending money on lenses (specially the limiteds )
If you can afford the Ltd's you should buy them... They should 'in theory' curb any further episodes of LBA...
My LBA compensates for the fact that I can't afford Ltd lenses...
12-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
If you can afford the Ltd's you should buy them... They should 'in theory' curb any further episodes of LBA...
My LBA compensates for the fact that I can't afford Ltd lenses...
I wonder if that's why my LBA is so rabid. Although I'm starting to move from manual to AF again. Last night's shoot out with the 60-300 drove me batty in low light. Sooo many good shots missed!!!
12-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Maybe the Ltd's would solve my LBA. Maybe. A plan for buying lenses....hmmm, ok here goes. I will buy lenses that I like, that suit me at that time, and perhaps that have some long-term potential. I will not pay too much for those lenses. I will sell or trade those I do not use which were not gifts. There, is that a plan? Or should I have a roadmap for my lens purchases?

I still think that if I had the SMC 135-600 this LBA and the need for a buying plan would go away
12-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I wonder if that's why my LBA is so rabid. Although I'm starting to move from manual to AF again. Last night's shoot out with the 60-300 drove me batty in low light. Sooo many good shots missed!!!
What, do you think you'd do any better with a slow AF 300mm lens in low light? And, after only trying the 23A for the very first time, you came to that conclusion - you must be very, very good MF shooter! You'll miss just as many, only thing is you'll sound as if you are stuck in traffic during rush hour because your slow AF lens will be hunting like mad trying to lock focus. I've said many times before, if you want to use MF lenses you need a better focus screen than the stock screen and some sort of viewfinder magnifier. Without these things to aid in MF, your keeper rate has been pretty good.