Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the DA*16-50. Its the most useful lens in the current Pentax lineup.

12-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the DA*16-50. Its the most useful lens in the current Pentax lineup.
Perhaps because a) it's expensive, b) it's not the most useful, and c) SDM (Silent Dead Motor) fears?
12-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Perhaps because a) it's expensive, b) it's not the most useful, and c) SDM (Silent Dead Motor) fears?
Very happy with my copy, had it since early 2008.
12-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #64
Veteran Member

You need to go long for babes and cars. Return everything and get the DA* 50-135 F2.8.

12-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #65

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes, but ballet recitals hardly count as "everyday shooting". I mean, even if they are literally an every day occurence, it is still a very specialized usage photographically, and indeed, you normally want something more telephoto, sice you are shooting peoeple from a bit of a distance. But the type of lens that works perfectly from a distance isn't necessarily so hot for true "everyday" usage.
You bring up some good points, Marc. I was just using my most recent example and it probably wasn't the best one. I have been using the 35mm extensively this year for everyday shooting and it is a great all around focal length. I've been talking with my wife this week and it looks like I'll be getting the 40mm and the DBG4 here pretty soon. I think the size factor of the 40mm will help motivate me to carry my K7 around more often.

Related segue:

Today UPS delivered my new camera straps from B&H. I think they will help with carrying the camera, and I like the versatility of my setup vs. what comes with the camera. I will have to make a post with pics when I am less tired. Basically I got a couple of OP/TECH straps, one for neck and their sling. Also a few uni loop adapters and a piece for attaching to the tripod mount. The whole setup is pretty awesome and would go great with a small and fast prime lens. I think my F 50mm and DA 35 are a bit too long (physically) in a sling mount with their lens hoods on, thus my interest in the 40mm. I may have to revise my prior choice to the 40mm limited as the best single lens for all around use... I won't know for sure until I have mine in hand though, hehe.
12-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HEEGZ Quote
Basically I got a couple of OP/TECH straps, one for neck and their sling.
I have 3 (or maybe 4) of the OP/TECH straps and also have the OP/TECH dual harness - awesome system, the straps and the harness works together via the quick release clasps on them - again, awesome and highly recommended system!!!!
12-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Like my technician used to say when I had my LX serviced, "It's great WHEN IT WORKS!"

12-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Add heavy to that list. One might not think about it much at first but I have found that, over the years, I subconciously find excuses not to use my 16-50 and 50-135. It took me a while to realize that it was because of their weight. Okay, maybe I'm a slow learner....
12-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first lens the Tamron 18-250 and I think it was a great choice: really impressive IQ given the zoom range and it gave me a real feel FL possibilities. Paired it with a fast prime, it was a great intro to photography.
12-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
My first lens the Tamron 18-250 and I think it was a great choice: really impressive IQ given the zoom range and it gave me a real feel FL possibilities. Paired it with a fast prime, it was a great intro to photography.
You know, while I didn't start this way, I think you make a great point. I have the Pentax-branded version of the same lens and I think if you pair that with the sub-$200 DA 35 f/2.4 or a fast fifty, you could get by with that modest combination indefinitely.
12-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I have 3 (or maybe 4) of the OP/TECH straps and also have the OP/TECH dual harness - awesome system, the straps and the harness works together via the quick release clasps on them - again, awesome and highly recommended system!!!!
After a week of Christmas parties, I have to say that the 3 OP/TECH straps and adapters that use the Uni-Loop system work extremely well. I can't recommend them enough. As for my original suggestion to the OP, I purchased the 40mm this morning from B&H using the forum link here at PF. The small size and faster AF were my deciding factors over the 43mm. Perhaps in the next year I can pick up the 21mm and 70mm. On a related note, I already own the 35mm 2.4 and I believe I would start recommending the 40mm over it, unless price was the primary deciding factor. I'll report back with my thoughts on the 40mm if this thread is still active next month.
12-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #72
Veteran Member

That's awesome Heegz, I'm also planning to get the 40mm, I'm new to this photography thing, but people said I'm doing extremely well on it(For a guy who just had his first camera 2 months ago). Right now my main lens are the FA 28-108 with PZ(Got it as a gift for xmas brand new! woot!) an M 50mm 1.7 and the DA 35mm 2.4.(I also have the 18- 55 and 55 - 300 kit lens that I don't use) would you suggest that I get the DA 40mm 2.8 or should I invest in flash first? or should I go for a FA/F 50 1.4 vs the DA 40 2.8? And I will be looking forwards to your "thoughts/review" on the 40mm
12-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
You know, while I didn't start this way, I think you make a great point. I have the Pentax-branded version of the same lens and I think if you pair that with the sub-$200 DA 35 f/2.4 or a fast fifty, you could get by with that modest combination indefinitely.
My initial K20D kit included the DA10-17 (the lens that drove me to Pentax) and the DA18-250 and FA50/1.4 -- superzoom and Fast Fifty. Together they fill 90% of needs. Those, plus a Tamron 10-24 and Raynox DCR-250, are still my most-used and most-minimalist kit. It's great for travel, great for a variety of situations, and a great way to learn about photographic possibilities. It it also a gateway to LBA? Well...
12-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It it also a gateway to LBA?
Yes.
12-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
That's awesome Heegz, I'm also planning to get the 40mm, I'm new to this photography thing, but people said I'm doing extremely well on it(For a guy who just had his first camera 2 months ago). Right now my main lens are the FA 28-108 with PZ(Got it as a gift for xmas brand new! woot!) an M 50mm 1.7 and the DA 35mm 2.4.(I also have the 18- 55 and 55 - 300 kit lens that I don't use) would you suggest that I get the DA 40mm 2.8 or should I invest in flash first? or should I go for a FA/F 50 1.4 vs the DA 40 2.8? And I will be looking forwards to your "thoughts/review" on the 40mm
These are some great and essential questions. If you are using the 50 f1.7 than you can hold off on the 50 f1.4. My brother gave me his for Christmas this year so I didn't actually purchase mine. I plan on using the 50 f1.4 exclusively for portraits, though I forced myself to use it for Christmas parties. It is too long for indoor use in my opinion. The 35mm f2.4 is much better for indoors though I've had to push my K-7 to it's ISO limits to use it in dim lighting. The main reason I chose the 40mm is because the 50 f1.4 hunted a LOT more than expected in dim light (wide open) and also both the 35mm and 50mm are of average length with a lens hood attached. The 40mm with lens hood is by far the smallest option and that is my main purchasing decision. I would rather have the 21mm and 43mm for photographic reasons, however, I chose the 40mm instead with physical size as my deciding factor.

Once the 40mm arrives (Thursday) I plan on making a new thread that shows my OP/TECH strap set up with the 40mm. I don't think the combo can be beat among any brand of DSLR at the moment. As for the flash, I bought an AF 280T on ebay for $25 US and rarely use it. I am actually getting into reflectors instead of flash and purchased two of them along with my Ezybalance card. I used a white bed sheet to take my kids Christmas picture this year and got fantastic results. The two reflectors should enable me to get similar results on location as well, and the nice thing is they fold up into sizes smaller than 12 inches. There are some cool videos that demonstrate this in action on the Lastolite School of Photography which you can Google for. So my advice is to wait on the flash unless you get a cheap one to practice with. My brother has a Yongnuo for his K-5 but he rarely uses his either.

Summary: If you need a flash, get a cheap one. I recommend looking into reflectors as a possible alternative. As for lenses, the 40mm is nice for small size, though this might not be a priority for you.

If these lenses are all brand new to you, the best advice I can give is to use your zooms and see what focal lengths you use the most before buying any primes. I spent a year doing this and found that the 15/21mm, 40/43mm, and 70mm would fit almost all of my needs. The only other major things I identified were to buy a battery grip and a modular camera strap system. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to discuss some ideas in detail. I used to moderate a different forum and I prefer to take in-depth conversations to PMs. I'll be sure to follow up on the 40mm once it arrives.

[edit]

Here are my first impressions:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/169930-first-image...sa-straps.html

Last edited by HEEGZ; 12-29-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add link