Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Tight lens cap on FA-31 Ltd

I just bought an FA-31 Ltd, and the lens cap seems to fit very tightly. I had to pull it quite hard to get it off, and now I refrain from putting it on completely, since I don't think it is good for the lens to pull that hard on the front barrel each time I remove the lens cap. Is this the way the caps on those lenses usually fit, and should the lens be able to take that kind of pulling over and over again? I will probably just get another lens cap of the "normal kind" (the kind that fits inside of the filter ring (in my case it will sit on the Hoya 1Ds UV filter I have installed)). They are cheap anyways, and I bought this lens for its optics rather than its cap -- even though I do like the solid feel of the cap, if it would only sit slightly looser. As far as the optics go, I am pleased with the sharpness and bokeh, but I have not had a chance to use it outdoors in the daytime, so I don't know anything about the color rendering qualities yet. The metal construction is also nice.

Anyone who has any comments on the lens cap? Are they normally very tight?

12-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It should not be that tight.

FWIW, I replace all my original caps with either 49mm or 30.5mm caps. This is cheaper (replacing the original caps is expensive), provides a hood for the lens, and protects the end of the lens.

You can see the idea here in a post from s0ldbear.

Oh, and on my 31mm I use a combination of metal hood with front threads and a 58-49mm stepdown ring.
12-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tight cap is good because it will loose up over time. Or better yet, use a screw-on hood and store the cap away.
12-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

i'm one of those people who stored the hood, cap, pouch, and box on day one to keep them minty fresh for some future owner...why? i dunno. that said, i use a center pinch cap and an aftermarket larger hood for this lens.

12-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

mine was a bit tight too, not to the extent i couldnt pull it off though

i havent used the cap for a long time, have since replaced it with a center pinch caps + aftermarket hood as well
12-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
After 5000 shots, my F 31 Ltd cap has loosen up.
However, i use a twisting motion to get the cap off rather than a pulling motion.
Yes, i may leave marks on the barrel etc, but i am only interested in the output of the lens rather than the paint on the barrel of my lens.

Enjoy your FA 31 Ltd.

I love mine!
12-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your input. Sure, I CAN put the cap on and off safely if I want to, the thing is that it takes a little time to get it off, maybe 10 seconds if I am to feel comfortable. With my 18-135 (the lens I have used so far since I bought the camera last Easter, save for very limited use of an old M-50 1.7 and a few shots with an old manual 135 2.5), I quickly did away with the lens cap and just left the hood on permanently. That together with the bag I use renders the camera always ready to shoot and protects the front element at the same time (there is a Hoya HD UV filter in place also). I will come up with a good system for my new lens also, but I cannot store it exactly in the same way as the old one, because the smaller lens hood does not completely protect the front element (filter) in the bag I use. And yes, I bet I will enjoy the lens -- have not had a good opportunity to really try it out yet -- too much work before Xmas and also lots of grey and dark over here in Sweden right now. The testing I have done so far has been super-boring indoor test shots and a few outside shots in the dark (nothing wrong with them technically, but I can't wait to take some "real" pictures ).
12-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Like others, I also had the same problem. I replaced it with a metal lens hood and a pinch cap. I'd recommend the Janco 58mm adapter tube on Amazon. Link -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JFRVD2/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details . Just throw away the part you don't need.

12-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #9

Just use some sanding paper to wear off some of the felt inside the cap... (and clean thoroughly).
12-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
nah

It definitely loosens up after some use. Mine did after a few days of use.
12-23-2011, 04:41 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
After 5000 shots, my F 31 Ltd cap has loosen up.
However, i use a twisting motion to get the cap off rather than a pulling motion.
Yes, i may leave marks on the barrel etc, but i am only interested in the output of the lens rather than the paint on the barrel of my lens.

Enjoy your FA 31 Ltd.

I love mine!
I was able to hold the outer part of the lens barrel (so that I did not put force on anything delicate in the lens) and then twist the cap maybe 10 turns. That "run-in" made the cap slightly looser, and using a twisting motion, I can now get it off without problems .
QuoteOriginally posted by frederik9111 Quote
Just use some sanding paper to wear off some of the felt inside the cap... (and clean thoroughly).
The inside of the cap is covered with some cloth material, and maybe it could be worn down just a bit with a fine-grit paper, but I would still feel a bit apprehensive about trying that. As it is now, I already got mine to work in the way I described above. I could see a little bit of green (the color of the cloth material) on the edges of the built in hood of the lens after turning it a few times.
12-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
Like others, I also had the same problem. I replaced it with a metal lens hood and a pinch cap. I'd recommend the Janco 58mm adapter tube on Amazon. Link -> Amazon.com: Janco 58MM Diameter lens adapter tube for Panasonic DMC-FZ18, DMC-FZ28, DMC-FZ35 and DMC-FZ38 to accept 58MM Filter, Lens caps, adapters & auxiliary lens: Camera & Photo . Just throw away the part you don't need.
That's the hood I use. That, plus a 58-49mm stepdown ring makes it compatible with my 49mm and 30.5mm lens cap setup.