Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax FA* 600mm Case. Can you provide an image of the inside?

I'm wondering if someone here on the forums can provide a few images of the inside of the FA* 600/4 case, without the lens in it.

I have to replace the foam in mine, and since I've never seen it in it's original form, I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to look like now. I also need a picture of the top of the inside.

Thanks for the help!

Clint

Last edited by Clinton; 12-22-2011 at 06:15 PM.
12-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The case. . . . . . seriously:ugh:

Lets see the lens!!!!!
lets see it with all of its step siblings!!

Let us live vicariously through you!!
12-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here it is:
Attached Images

12-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
The case. . . . . . seriously:ugh:

Lets see the lens!!!!!
lets see it with all of its step siblings!!

Let us live vicariously through you!!
It's our xmas present. We haven't actually taken it out for anything other than testing to make sure it's golden, which, by the way isn't easy when we've had 3 straight weeks of nothing but haze. (Of course, you live nearby, you know)

12-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Here it is:
Thanks Pål. This is exactly what I needed. Ours is stripped down to the egg-carton foam in the top right. Everything else is wood or the solid white foam in the very top and bottom. It had a little bit of foam still in the case, but it was badly decayed and came apart at the touch. I've since stripped it, cleaned all the glued portions, and now I just need to cut some new foam and fit it into place. I also need to find a place that sells the right foam. I'm hoping Home Depot carries the right foam.
12-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

High haze is my favorite shooting condition! Doesn't work for grand landscapes with visible sky, but for critters, birds, intimate landscapes and macro there isn't much better than high haze. Pretty nice for canyon and cliff shooting as well. Hopefully, you aren't talking about that smoggy inversion haze that happens in the valley there. That's almost smokey as much as hazy.

I use some cruddy ol' pick-n-pluck foam in a Pelican-style waterproof hardcase with some of it in blocks. This makes the Pelicase capable of carrying multiple different lenses for airline luggage or other travel. Switches from 600/4 case to 250-600 plus 80-200 case in about one minute. With your collection, you might want to consider something convertible for travel and/or field use.

I sure like backpack tube cases for auto travel and short hike work. Kinesis is a brick house but I probably carry the big glass in a Domke Scope Pack more than anything else.

Good luck matching that custom foam interior. It will take true artistic skill!
12-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Hopefully, you aren't talking about that smoggy inversion haze that happens in the valley there. That's almost smokey as much as hazy.
Yeah the inversion doesn't exactly diffuse the light it prevents it from going anywhere near us!!
12-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I'm hoping Home Depot carries the right foam.
You might want want to check out the upholstery foam in craft/fabric stores around here. It is the wrong color but seems to be the right consistency. I have never tried it myself but cutting it with a hot wire seems to be the easiest way to get uniform cuts.

12-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I use some cruddy ol' pick-n-pluck foam in a Pelican-style waterproof hardcase with some of it in blocks. This makes the Pelicase capable of carrying multiple different lenses for airline luggage or other travel. Switches from 600/4 case to 250-600 plus 80-200 case in about one minute. With your collection, you might want to consider something convertible for travel and/or field use.

I sure like backpack tube cases for auto travel and short hike work. Kinesis is a brick house but I probably carry the big glass in a Domke Scope Pack more than anything else.
I'll show some images of lens in the Kata TLB-600-PL that I picked up for it. It's a comfortable bag to carry it in for hiking.

Good luck matching that custom foam interior. It will take true artistic skill!
I expect my results will amount to much more blocky chunks. Thus far, I've only used the steel Pentax cases when I've been going somewhere car shooting, or camping. Hauling the cases anywhere real seems ridiculous, although clearly that's what the previous owner of this lens did. Remarkably in spite of the love this lens had, the interior of the lens is spotless, probably do to the Pentax JP servicing (and I expect cleaning) the lens went through before it came to me.
12-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hopefully, you aren't talking about that smoggy inversion haze that happens in the valley there. That's almost smokey as much as hazy.
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Yeah the inversion doesn't exactly diffuse the light it prevents it from going anywhere near us!!
Flat? Thick as pea soup? makes it impossible to see anything more than 1/4 mile from you, but isn't really artistic? Shooting conditions, 1/250 @ 8000 ISO at high noon, only to capture a so-so smoggy image? Yup! That is the stuff! I'm hoping our current clear weather pattern holds until tomorrow when we can officially shoot with our lens.
12-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm interested to see the foam lining. I h ave 2 lenses (all older) with that type of case and all of them have red felt liners over wooden brackets and not a sign
of foam., but then they are all pentax A's. on the Pentax FA 300 2.8 which I recently purchased, Pentax cheaped out and just provided a padded shoulder bag