Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

Received lens in unmarked box, is it new or refurbished?

(my first post on forum)

Received in a white box, Pentax DA 18-55 F3.5-5.6 WR inbubble wrap, no cardboard support, no markings on box but there was a UPC labelPN1855WROB. Box included PH-RBC lens hood, lens manual, serial number card andPentax Worldwide Service Network literature.
Newest camera the lens manual refers is to is K-7 and K-x,K-5 not mentioned.

Is the lens new from the manufacturer, new- split from a kit,refurbished, non US version or something else.

Here is how it happened; ordered K-5 with lens and US manufacturerswarranty SKU PENK51855US received K-5 with incorrect lens, shipped lens back andthen received white box as described above.

If someone helping me has questions please be aware I willbe unable to respond for about a week.

thanks, Bernie

12-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Bernie.

Where did you get the lens from? Can you post pictures of the lens?
12-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the lens is clean and checks out optically and mechanically I wouldn't be too worried about it since you have the accessories and warranty information.
12-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've received stuff straight from Pentax's warehouse in the Philippines before, and that's how it was boxed as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
/I think what happened is, the kit lens does not have it's own box, so they send you the replacement (once you sent the wrong one back) that way. Did you get your K-5 with original packaging?
12-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Received lens and K-5 from AJ Richies. The lens has all the correct markings andlooks new. It bothered me that there was no cardboard cradle, just lens wrappedin bubble wrap sitting in bottom of the box.

Took a few pictures, lens operated correctly and resultslooked the same as photos taken of the same subject with other lens (DA 18-55 ALII non WR which is what I returned).

K-5 came in original packing from Pentax. The box had no space for a lens. My best guessis the last lens they sent me was separated from a K-7 or Kr kit.

Discovered from EXIF data that the K-5 was manufactured Aug28, 2011. From the serial number of the lens, looks like its from earlier 2010.

thank all of you for your comments, its reassuring.

Bernie
12-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It was probably a kit lens for a K5 or K7. What matters is that it works. Register it at Pentax's website if you decide to keep it.

12-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bernie Quote
AJ Richie
I trust these AJ Richies guys as far as I can throw an oil tanker. I'd recommend you check everything very carefully. For example is the camera grey market or refurbed, what is the shutter count etc. I would run all the serial numbers past Pentax US.
12-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I trust these AJ Richies guys as far as I can throw an oil tanker. I'd recommend you check everything very carefully. For example is the camera grey market or refurbed, what is the shutter count etc. I would run all the serial numbers past Pentax US.
Oh, missed that it was AJRichie. Yes, triple check everything.
12-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know of the seller personally, but I agree with everyone else here. Moral of the story, don't buy from questionable sellers and always check sites like resellerratings.com if they are not well known to be reputable. Just be glad you received functioning merchandise and monitor your credit card for a while to make sure it has only the proper charges on it.
12-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Be careful of internet retail ratings, many of those systems are actively gamed by some retailers. Google is your friend. Type in the name of the seller and "scam" or "fraud" and see what you get. It's amazing, there seems to be a zone in Brooklyn that attracts questionable camera sellers like moths to a flame.