Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
More noise with DA lenses?

I've been checking this now more than ever because it has slowly become apparent to me that DA lenses produce more noise in low light photos..

I suspect it has something to do with the coatings/color signature of the lenses themselves.

I get a lot of red noise with my DA's.. So, I did a little testing. I took the DA 50-200 zoomed to 100mm @ f8 and did the same with my Vivitar 105mm.. Sure enough, the DA always produces more noise and it's more red noise. I notice the same thing with my 16-45 as well but, I can only test that against my Pentax 28mm which has SMC coatings so, it's not really a good test.

12-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I'm pretty doubtful about what your theory. Noise has nothing to do with the lens. It has everything to do with the sensitivity of the image sensor and exposure level of the image.

Care to post some of your images?
12-27-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I've been checking this now more than ever because it has slowly become apparent to me that DA lenses produce more noise in low light photos..

I suspect it has something to do with the coatings/color signature of the lenses themselves.

I get a lot of red noise with my DA's.. So, I did a little testing. I took the DA 50-200 zoomed to 100mm @ f8 and did the same with my Vivitar 105mm.. Sure enough, the DA always produces more noise and it's more red noise. I notice the same thing with my 16-45 as well but, I can only test that against my Pentax 28mm which has SMC coatings so, it's not really a good test.
Without even looking at the comments within this thread.

Just keep this in mind, the DA's are fast and quite accurate to a point .The person behind the camera body holds sole responsibility of knowing the capabilities of the camera body one has in hand.

Having stated this opinion,

I also find the DA's have more noise in low light situations, that is why I carry a set of prime "F's" in my bag and know how and when to use them.

Just MHO.

Sincerely.

Wendy.
12-27-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe you should check your WB instead.

Post your examples here that everyone can have a look. I do not have this type of red noise in any of the DA shots.

12-27-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never noticed anything like this. I am not saying it is not possible, but it does sound a bit weird to me.
The primary source of noise is the sensor itself and the electronics circuitry reading the signal.
Light scattering within the lens and internal reflections do sometimes cause problems. However, this is more common with strong highlights than low light conditions. And the outcome does look somewhat different.
It would definitely be interesting to see the images. Is this reddish noice associated with loss of contrast?
12-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've read an interview with the design team of the K10D in which they said that one of the biggest sources of high ISO noise seems is high frequency signal cross talk from the camera PC board on the analog signals paths on the sensor.

It's a wild guess, but perhaps the DA lens coatings reflect RF signals more than F lens coatings???

- Bert
12-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote

I see some terminology confusion here. I read the "noise" as actually referring to Chromatic Aberration when it says "red noise" - perhaps OP can clarify.
05-17-2008, 05:03 AM   #8

YouŽd expect more noice step by step but...

IŽve noticed more noice at ISO 200 than 400 on my K10D. Why is that?
Same f value, different time ( of course ).