Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2007, 09:58 AM   #1

Older lens on K100D - colors washed out

I am using my older Pentax SMC F 35-135 lens on my new K100D and noticing that the colors appear very "washed out" in comparison to the pictures taken with the kit lens that came with the K100D (DA 18-55).

Is there something in the white balance or other settings that I need to adjust to compensate for this - I have tried in different modes (green A, P, and different white balance modes) but the colors just don't look as good.

Any advice would be helpful - I want to use my older lens (one of the reasons I bought this camera) but don't want to take "poor" pictures.

Catman

12-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Forum Member

Probably more internal reflections from the barrel, less efficient coatings, were you using a lens hood, cleaning scratches on the front element, front element needs cleaning - all are possible reasons for lack of contrast.

Rod
12-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by catman Quote
I am using my older Pentax SMC F 35-135 lens on my new K100D and noticing that the colors appear very "washed out" in comparison to the pictures taken with the kit lens that came with the K100D (DA 18-55).

Is there something in the white balance or other settings that I need to adjust to compensate for this - I have tried in different modes (green A, P, and different white balance modes) but the colors just don't look as good.

Any advice would be helpful - I want to use my older lens (one of the reasons I bought this camera) but don't want to take "poor" pictures.

Catman
Lot's of older lenses have "reduced contrast" characteristics. Considering the fact that you have almost unlimited correction possibilities I see no problem w/ this..
12-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to Pentax Forums catman.

Try shooting in Manual mode.
I imagine that you know how to set the f-stop already, but if you don't please don't feel embarrassed and let me know.

First set the f-stop to where you want to start.
To set the shutter speed press the AE-L button (back, right, top)
If the shutter speed is over 2000 move the f-stop one click higher, and try again.
If it's lower than 90 drop the f-stop and try again.

Take a sample shot and see if it's still washed out.

I usually end up speeding up the shutter speed a little, by turning the wheel 1 or 2 clicks to the right. Then I'm good to go.

If this achieves the results your after try experimenting with different f-stops, and shutter speeds. It won't take you long to see what does what and fine tune your manual shooting style.

12-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

little laker, what difference will it make by shooting in Manual Mode?

The thread starter stated that he's got the Pentax SMC F 35-135. It is an AF lens that has the A-setting on the aperture ring so it can be used with every exposure mode on the K100D. The exposure mode used should have no little or no bearing on the colours of the image. So I can't figure out how shooting in Manual Mode will make a difference.

catman, how is the condition of the lens? Are there any fungus or fogging of the lens elements or a lot of dust internally? Is the lens coating in good condition?

Last edited by creampuff; 12-25-2007 at 07:18 AM.
12-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the (very quick) tips. To answer some of your questions back to me
- the lens appears to be in good shape - it has been sitting in a drawer for a few years until I recently got my K100D. I cannot see any fog or fungus on the lens. I am not sure how to tell if the lens coating is any good or not.
- I have tried using the lens in full manual and actually matched up the settings of a "good" photo taken with my kit lens - the contrast was still poor at exactly the same f stop, lens speed, ISO, and zoom.
- I am not sure the best way to "correct" the image if the contrast is still off. Are there good in camera correction methods or should I go to software correction (I use Paint Shop Pro).

I will try to play around some more with this - but of course have to also play with my new Christmas present - a FGZ360 flash!

Merry Christmas to all!!!
12-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The contrast adjustment I do in The GIMP can be done in a similar manner in PSP, I think.

1. Duplicate layer

On the duplicate:

2. Desaturate
3. Invert
4. Gaussian blur (I use 5 pixels)
5. Mode "Overlay" at 50% (or whatever % looks best)
6. Merge down

Following that up with a "S-curve" curve adjustment also helps. That means you raise the highlight section up a bit and the shadow section down a bit so that the curve kinda-sorta-somewhat resembles an "S" (use your imagination). A two-point adjustment is sufficient. Make both adjustments at a point about 1/4 of the way from either edge in such a way that the center remains unmoved. That's just a basic way of doing it, of course, and you can play around with it as needed.
12-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
little laker, what difference will it make by shooting in Manual Mode?
I had a feeling that his camera may have been over-exposing the shots in the other modes. And shooting Manually would have ruled this out.

I get more contrast and better picture quality with my OLD glass than I do with my Kit lens, and I know that I'm not the only one.