Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Aperture ring on my *ist DL

Hello everyone, I'm pretty new here, so please tell me if I do something wrong

With my old k1000 came a 55mm/2 SMC (no auto setting on aperture ring). Great lens. When I put it on my *ist DL, the aperture was fixed at f/2. This happened about half a year ago. I thought the aperture was not adjustable. (And yes, in the custom settings, I allowed the aperture ring.)

So just a few days ago, I was using it again, except for some odd reason, the aperture adjusted when I turned the ring! I tried it again the following day and it didn't work. What is the deal? Do I need to be shooting on aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, or program?

...letting my mind wander a little bit, does anybody even have an *ist DL? I keep hearing about your elite k100d's and k10d's...I want a k10d so bad

12-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You probably won't be able to use it in shutter priority, and I'm not sure about program. It should work fine in manual and aperture priority though.
12-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
travis_cooper, it won't work in anything now. Although I did realize something...if the lens isn't 100% snapped into place, it will go down to about f/4. The further away from being snapped into place it is, the smaller the aperture will be able to get. So I don't know if, on that one day, I was too tired to realize that it wasn't in correctly or what, but it sure seemed strange!
12-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Maybe the lens is damaged.

12-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have nothing to add about you question but I just wanted to say that I also shoot with the ist dl. I have been using it for almost 2 years and I hope to get alot more time with it. My wife uses a K100D and there is not alot of difference in the two. Wade
12-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I see you are from Kansas. So am I. How do you like the weather the last few days? wade
12-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #7

Hehehe. I made this same mistake on my Nikon. Stop it down to something noticeably small, f16 or so. Screw it in completely until a click. Take a long, 1-2 second exposure while looking at the front of your lens.

The lens will stay wide open until you take a shot so the viewfinder is nice and bright, then flip a lever to stop down right before opening the shutter. Nothing to worry about.

(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong--this is the way it works on Nikon and Minolta!)
12-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
Forum Member

There are others here from Kansas? Cool!

And Wade, IMHO, the weather SuCkS!!!