Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

What should I have in my bag for engagement photos..

Hey all,

Been an amateur photog for the past couple years, I ended up taking my wife and I's own engagement photos because we didnt like what our photographer came up with. Well I guess the photos I took of us turned out so well we have requests from about 8 couples now to do theirs as well. Its not a lot of pressure, as they are all friends and know I dont do this professionally, but it got me to thinking I could easily do this on the side as I'm a tech manager by trade, so the photoshopping and web design side of the business is cake for me.

Sooooo, with that said, I'm not sure what lenses I'm missing to round out a good engagement session. I currently have:

Pentax K-x
Sigma 70-300mm
Pentax 50mm 1.4 FA
Pentax 10-17 Fish
Pentax 18-50mm Kit lens

I have no flashes and Im thinking it might be a good idea to pick up a 16-45 or 16-50...

Anyone here have some good experience with this? I know I can definitely get by with the lenses I have and being creative, I'm just thinking I might be able to turn this into something more. Anyone have a suggestion for a good portrait flash that isnt too expensive?

Any help is mucho appreciado.

Here's one of my favs from shooting my own engagement pics:

12-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice conceptual image. Well done.
The kit lens is the DA 18-55, and is mostly inadequate for effective portraiture.
The fast fifty you have should suffice, though.
Flash is essential for any fill light or studio work, and I'd suggest the AF540FGZ if you'll be doing this kind of work on a regular basis. It's a versatile and capable flash, both on and off camera. It can go for $300-350 second hand but others in its class made by third party companies (Sigma, Metz) are a little cheaper and just as capable, e.g. Sigma EF530/610 DG Super or Metz AF-58.

See mattdm's definitive guide for flashes for more.

Last edited by Ash; 12-28-2011 at 05:38 AM.
12-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
^ thanks, that link is perfect! Do you think a 16-50 or 45 would be a good lens for this type of work? The DA 18-55 (thanks for the correction) is an ok lens, but I can never get the "wow" shots from it. I'm sure its capable of them, but I just havent found it yet.
12-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

You may want to think about the Sigma 85/1.4, the Pentax FA* 85/1.4 (if you can find one), or the Pentax FA 77/1.8 ltd.

I don't think you'll get a lot of mileage out of the Sigma 70-300mm, or Pentax 18-50mm Kit. The fish can make for some fun shots, and I have seen some fun engagement photos taken with a fish. If you're feeling like the 50/1.4 isn't wide enough, you could look into a Sigma 30/1.4 or an FA 31/1.8 ltd.

I'll also echo what Ash said. I expect you'll need a flash more than another lens with the FA 50/1.4 in your bag.

12-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You already have a full spectrum of focal lengths so you are covered. Go back to your favorites images and see what focal length you used. If you find that you consistently gravitate towards that focal length then consider getting a prime near hat focal length for better image quality. Since you are not doing it professionally, what you have already is good.

I would agree with Ash that you need at least one flash. You can get very creative that way and produce really dramatic, eye catching photos. If you are willing to learn how to use manual flashes, you can get a couple good ones at a very low price, add some remote triggers and a diffuser/softbox and you got a flexible setup for both indoors and outdoors setting.

And don't forget that most of the magic in these situations is done post processing, so if you do not already have some image editing software, then plan to get one.
12-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Whats your budget? cuz i'd say get both, a flash and a 16-50...
I only carry 16-50 and 50-135 for my outings...more than what you need tends to take so much time in setting up, changing lens, etc.

If your budget is restrictive, i'd get only the flash. Cuz you know...you can't get only flash. You also need a diffuser, a portable softbox, and a lightstand...or a clamp. Unless you plan to keep the flash on camera all the time.
12-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ditch the Sigma 70-300mm, Pentax 10-17 Fish,Pentax 18-50mm Kit lens

Keep the 50mm /1.4
and get your self some flash's, light stands, wireless triggers,and umbrella's and google "Strobist"
12-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, good advice all around. I'm looking into flashes right now, thinking maybe a 540 or a Sigma 610. Once I get it and get used to it then maybe I'll look into lenses. I know the 50mm will be some great portraits and the Fish can create some fun, dramatic shots. Appreciate all the feedback!

12-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the 540 and 610 (and others...) the 610 is better bang for $$$.
12-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TriCon Quote
^ thanks, that link is perfect! Do you think a 16-50 or 45 would be a good lens for this type of work? The DA 18-55 (thanks for the correction) is an ok lens, but I can never get the "wow" shots from it. I'm sure its capable of them, but I just havent found it yet.
I'm not an expert, but I have the 16-45 AND the original, unimproved 18-55. Performance of them is pretty close, and not especially disappointing to me, particularly with just 6 megapixels, and usually using f8 or smaller apertures. However, for what you're doing you'd probably want to use wider apertures, and for that I could see wanting a faster autofocus zoom. Just from what I've read about the 16-50, I don't see the point when you could get an almost-equivalent-length Tamron or Sigma.

Paul
12-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More Stuff?

Hi TriCon,
Congratulations and Good Luck!
Great suggestions all around. I'd second the flash, buy a good one now and you'll never look back.
I'd really consider a decent used one for a 2nd flash/fill light/back light. With a 2-flash + slave flash trigger you can create a great "non-flash" look. My favorite trigger is the little cube with an optical eye on the front, tripod screw mount on the bottom and a hot shoe on top. About $10.00 online. The old Pentax AF 280T is a fine 2nd flash, built like a brick, tilt, swivel, about $40-$50 (used) online.
Another item you might consider is a prime short tele for close-ups of the couples, head shots. Zooms aren't my favorite for this, usually too much depth of field and the background becomes distracting, and the fifty might be a wee bit too short, even with the 1.5 factor. I like an 85mm-100mm better, an f2.8 prime used nearly-wide open will isolate your subjects perfectly. If your manual focusing skills are good, an A, M or K prime in that focal range will be very handy.
Just a few ideas, it's fun to spend other people's money! Just kidding.
Ron
12-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You may want to look into the Tamron 28-75 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 in addition to the flash.
12-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Tamron 28-75 and can also vouch for its versatility in portraiture. The FA limiteds pack significantly more punch in the colour, contrast and sharpness of their results. But the FA 50/1.4 is again comparable to the Tamron in image quality - obviously without the zooming ability. But it is a great performer from f/2 up and especially from f/2.8 to f/5.6

Lighting is where you'll get the most gains in quality of portraiture results.
12-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I knew I would get great answers here, thanks guys, helped a lot!
12-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Something else to consider would possibly be a monolight with a wireless trigger. That would help you by getting the flash off camera. The Alien Bees B800 is a great monolight strobe. I'd recommend the wireless trigger just due to how annoying long wires can be. If you're going to be outside often, you'd probably want a power system of some sort.