Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Forgive me for reviving this, but I just had to:
QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
I believe that the term "zoom with your feet" would best be avoided, the reason being that it implies an equivalence between zooming and walking, a misconception that keeps causing a lot of confusion in these prime vs. zoom discussions.
I can survive multiple usages of the word 'zoom'. So I look at the Wikipedia disambiguation page and see:
  • Zoom lens, a lens assembly allowing for adjustable focal length
  • Digital zoom, an electronic emulation of focal length change
  • In film cinematography, a camera movement requiring a zoom lens ("zoom in/out")
So a zoom is both a lens adjustment (fixed perspective) AND a camera movement (changed perspective). Whew. OK, we can continue zooming with our legs, without damaging our jargon. What a relief!

[/me looks for DEAD HORSE icon...]

01-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Forgive me for reviving this, but I just had to:

I can survive multiple usages of the word 'zoom'. So I look at the Wikipedia disambiguation page and see:
  • Zoom lens, a lens assembly allowing for adjustable focal length
  • Digital zoom, an electronic emulation of focal length change
  • In film cinematography, a camera movement requiring a zoom lens ("zoom in/out")
So a zoom is both a lens adjustment (fixed perspective) AND a camera movement (changed perspective). Whew. OK, we can continue zooming with our legs, without damaging our jargon. What a relief!

[/me looks for DEAD HORSE icon...]
I assume you refer to "camera movement requiring a zoom lens" in the third bullet item? I don't think the author can have meant a physical relocation of the camera, because that would not actually "require a zoom lens". It seems to me that - sloppily worded as it may be - this is still consistent with the definition of zooming as something that does not involve a change in perspective. I agree, however, that a dead horse icon would be useful at this point.