Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Distinguishing k-mount lenses

So my dad is a big "treasure hunter" in the sense that he's always checking out resale/antique shops. Is there an easy way to distinguish k-mount lenses from the others? For example, today we were at a goodwill that was absolutely loaded with someones old camera collection (I'm talking 50+ film SLR's, I picked up an old Pentax H2 for $8. If you're near chicago, i can tell you where). Anyways, most of the bayonet mounts look indistinguishable from one another. is there an easy way to tell?

12-29-2011, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photograph one of your lenses from the mount side and print a copy that your dad can always keep in his valet if he finds any lenses in his treasure hunts. Then he can just compare.
12-29-2011, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pick up a cheap k-mount extension tube or 2x tele-converter and carry it with you or give it to your dad. No decisions need be made, it either fits or it doesn't. Also carry a small LED flashlight to check for fungus and scratches. Always try and exercise the aperture blades to make sure they function.
12-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I hope this isn't overkill: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

jatrax's idea to carry a cheap PK macro tube or TC is EXCELLENT! With either, both lenses and bodies can be quickly checked for mount compatibility. I'll have to add that to the article. If you can handle screwmount adapters, carry a cheap M42 macro tube section too.

12-30-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I hope this isn't overkill: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

jatrax's idea to carry a cheap PK macro tube or TC is EXCELLENT! With either, both lenses and bodies can be quickly checked for mount compatibility. I'll have to add that to the article. If you can handle screwmount adapters, carry a cheap M42 macro tube section too.
The tube is a good idea, but it wont be as safe for m42. T2 mounts have also 42mm diameter, just a slightly different thread. It is usually not difficult to fit m42 and T2 in each other, but it will gradually wear down the threads, maybe get stuck.