Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma Lens - How to Tell a Good One

I have been reading here about Sigma lens quality control issues and have been thinking about perhaps getting one of their lenses, but all this talk about quality control issues has me concerned. I understand that when one gets a good copy, it can be an excellent lens.

What sort of issues are common with this company? How would I tell if I had a good copy?

12-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the Sigma QC concerns are overblown. I have a bunch of Sigmas and like 'em a lot--plus they offer a superior warranty (I wish Pentax demonstrated such confidence in it's products) and I've been pleased by their service.
12-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In general, when it comes to third party manufacturers, people complain about AF calibration issues. Optically or mechanically, you won't find more issues than for first party offerings.

Sigma had a bad reputation in the past (many years ago), but today they are the main third party manufacturer and their lineup is very extensive - they make more lenses for Pentax than Pentax does.
12-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It depends on a particular lens model. If you stay within the EX line, it is mostly safe. I haven't experienced a faulty EX Sigma. With Non-EX, the QC is worse and so is durability. I saw an 18-50/2.8 after few years of usage and the lens looked wrecked.

12-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If it says Sigma on the nameplate, it's not one of the good ones.