Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Bokeh at f/2.8: DA* 55mm vs. D-FA 50mm Macro

Between the DA* 55mm f/1.4 and the D-FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro, which has the better bokeh at f/2.8?

Do any 3rd-party AF lenses of approximately 50mm have better bokeh at f/2.8 than those two?

What about older Pentax AF 50mm macros -- the F & FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro?

Also -- The 70 pancake and the 77 Limited -- they're a bit long for what I'm looking for, but if their bokeh is vastly superior I'd consider them. How does their bokeh compare to the lenses I've asked about above?

Thanks,

Greg

12-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bokeh is not a single element that you can compare it from lens to lens. Bokeh is the collection of all out of focus parts in the image. These include uniform large areas that will look "fuzzy", linear features (wires, branches, etc) that will have additional thickness added, point sources (like light bulbs) that will turn into Christmas ornaments, irregular sharped objects (like leaves) that will become amorphous, parts of sky that shows through vegetation, and so on.

Each lens renders these elements in unique ways and one may provide a pleasing rendition of one and a distracting of another. It all depends on what you plan to photograph. It is quite different for a portrait against a uniform background, vs. a flower close up in the garden pointing down, vs. something that has sky peaking through vegetation in the background.

There are general criteria that suggest that lenses with more aperture blades (or rounded ones) produce better bokeh because highlights do not have angular features. The only way that can accurately say that lens A has better bokeh than lens B is when you use a particular image (or shooting situation) as a reference.
12-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you like it, it's good bokeh. If you don't like it, it's bad bokeh.

Most official 'good' bokeh is probably smooth enough that most viewers (who have never heard the word) won't notice it. I personally prefer contrary bokeh. If the subject is complicated, smooth bokeh is good. If the subject is large & smooth & bland, nervous bokeh may set it off. If the background is dark, and the subject is small and bright but irrelevant, the weird bokeh of specular lights can nicely pattern the picture.
01-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The bokeh of the DA*55 is really holding me back to get it, i love the colours, the contrast and the rest of the lens but the bokeh can be bloody aweful sometims
I have no experience with the DFA50 but i'm looking now at the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, bokeh looks better at least but haven't looked too serious at it yet to say it's better overal.
The bokeh of the FA50 f/1.4 is so good as the same as the DA*55 so no use getting that one over it, don't know what more is left of modern lenses.

Carl zeiss 50mm maybe but what i've seen from it i just ain't sure about it, build qaulity is brilliant but the image quilty looks medicore.

01-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The bokeh of the DA*55 is really holding me back to get it, i love the colours, the contrast and the rest of the lens but the bokeh can be bloody aweful sometims
I have no experience with the DFA50 but i'm looking now at the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, bokeh looks better at least but haven't looked too serious at it yet to say it's better overal.
The bokeh of the FA50 f/1.4 is so good as the same as the DA*55 so no use getting that one over it, don't know what more is left of modern lenses.

Carl zeiss 50mm maybe but what i've seen from it i just ain't sure about it, build qaulity is brilliant but the image quilty looks medicore.
How can you even make a determination that the bokeh of one lens is better than another when you don't even own the lenses or shot similar subjects to compare one with another?
To say the bokeh of the FA50 f/1.4 is so good as the same as the DA*55 is definitely stretching things.
01-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Bokeh isn't something that changed when doing PP except when you really sharpen or blur a lot.
So by looking at photos from others you can easily see how the Bokeh comes out.
Also check the photos on photozine.de those are all edited the same way, off course the weather and things like that are a bit different between shots but you often can do a quite fair comparison with their photos.

And i did test the DA*55 on a Pentax meeting
It also focus really slow but for the rest its a nice lens though, it was on my wish list but not anymore.

As for the FA50 vs DA*55 comparison, someone did a very good review comparing those two together with some bokeh test and yes they are so good as the same, only real major differnce is the corener sharpness which is better with the DA*55,
Will try too look the test up for you.

edit:
Here you go
www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/foto-ag/DA55/DA55.html
QuoteQuote:
5. Bokeh: The Bokeh of the DA55 and the FA50 is almost identical. The circle of confusion looks like in most modern lenses today: A smooth Gaussian transition in the foreground and a bright border in the background ("over-corrected spherical aberration"). The bright border is a little stronger in the FA50.

ps. i really was hoping Pentax would gave the DA*55 a smooth bokeh because it was advertice as the FA*85 replacement for APS-C which is a classic focal length for portrait. The bokeh is just to busy for my taste and for portraits i believe but your miliage might differ.
Also really depends what you want to do with the lens off course.

Last edited by Anvh; 01-01-2012 at 12:45 PM.