Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Telestar 135mm prime F2.8?

Can anyone share info about this lens.

Telesar 135mm F2.8 K-mount

I purchased it at an antique store for $12.50

It seems like a good lens. Focus ring is smooth. Aperture ring is crisp. Optics clean and no fog, chips or scratches. It hardly looks used.

It also has a secondary aperture ring that has no detent and is infinitely adjustable from where the detented ring is set out to 2.8

Is this a decent lens?

What is the purpose/advantage of having the secondary aperture ring?

12-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by P12 Quote
It also has a secondary aperture ring that has no detent and is infinitely adjustable
This is most likely a pre-set lens. This means you set the aperture using the ring with the detents and then open the other ring fully in order to focus then close it down to the aperture you selected to actually take the picture. This allows more light into the viewfinder to allow you focus. This method was used before auto-aperture lenses were made and is also sometimes found on specialty lenses like a bellows lens.
12-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This kind of two ring aperture lens is called a "preset". The second ring serves as a physical stop for the first, so you set both to the aperture you want to use, and then open up the first ring to focus, so your viewfinder is bright. Then you turn the first ring back til it gets stopped by the second, meter with the green button, and take your shot. It takes a lot less time to do, than to explain. You need to use this lens in M mode, which you're probably aware of.

I have no idea about the quality of this particular lens. I love the 135mm focal length though, and would get seriously addicted to collecting them if I could afford it. There are tonnes of nice old 135s out there, and as you found out, many are available for a song. You could post some sample pics when you try it out.
12-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds like a Preset lens. You set the aperture ring with "notches" where you want to shoot. You use the secondary ring to open the aperture fully to focus and compose. Then, when ready, you slide the secondary ring smoothly to the "catch" where it is at the "preset" aperture of the first ring, having pre-determined the exposure you wish to use.

It really isn't as complicated as it sounds when describing it. A preset lens in K-mount is a little unusual, as most preset lenses were M42 mounts.

Try it out, using Green Button metering and see what you think. Personally, I enjoy using such lenses. The little extra steps help me compose the shots better than the fully automatic lenses that allow you to just shoot away.

The preset lenses were almost always uncoated lenses, but perfectly good photos can be taken with them. The lack of lens coatings does mean that a lens hood is almost a requirement. Even further "hand" shading may help too.

12-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Let me know if you don't like it. I'm queer for old presets. The older coatings, the iris placement -- these make for different renderings than newer glass. Yes, a hood is mandatory. But I love the 'period' feel of such lenses. If you tire of it, I'll give it a good home.
12-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, darn, Rico asked first.

01-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
P12

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to play with it this next weekend. I'll post some pics when I can. It seems like a cool lens.

02-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #8

Telesar lens

Hey i have a telesar automatic telephoto 135mm f2.8 lens 18 degrees ? haha still in box and will take best offer? no idea if it is worth anuything.
02-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Oh, darn, Rico asked first.

i have one i believe
02-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Let me know if you don't like it. I'm queer for old presets. The older coatings, the iris placement -- these make for different renderings than newer glass. Yes, a hood is mandatory. But I love the 'period' feel of such lenses. If you tire of it, I'll give it a good home.
i have one i believe
02-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mpdiglio, welcome to the forum! You might want to check the date on threads before answering though, this thread is over a year old. Not everyone checks on old threads so if you comment or ask a question in one you might not get noticed. Just FYI, anyway welcome aboard.
02-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
mpdiglio, welcome to the forum! You might want to check the date on threads before answering though, this thread is over a year old. Not everyone checks on old threads so if you comment or ask a question in one you might not get noticed. Just FYI, anyway welcome aboard.
And RioRico has not been able to post since June
02-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And RioRico has not been able to post since June
Any news on him? I fear the worst and that has really bothered me.
02-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Someone accesses his account once in a while. The last was in January.
02-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Me, too ... has anyone heard anything about RioRico ... J