Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #106
Inactive Account

I'm buying either a K-5 or the K-r sucessor (or the K-5 sucessor)

01-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wanted to complete my DA limited lens series, but with the rumor FF, I am not sure if I should continue invest in DA lenses. I only have 21mm & 35mm... but I guess I will get the 40mm as it is FF compatible.

I hope the price of 27' ISP monitor to drop this year to something around the $250 range, then I will get one. Either K3 full frame, or I am going to buy vintage medium format Pentax/ non-Pentax camera...got in love with old cameras lately.

Besides, I hope to get on several vacation trips where I take some pictures!
01-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Yeah I was told that last night re the m100/4 as being a bit redundant for moi. I kinda knew that when I bought it too, since I already have a tammy 90mm macro. Had immediate buyer's remorse after I got it (had to scrabble in the back of the couch for the last $10 ), but heck. I'm loving the images out of it, and I'm having fun
Hi Wolfiegirl,
Don't worry, it was money well spent. I've managed (with very little macro experience) to get some of my favorite shots with mine, the colors just jump off the page/screen and the bokeh is quietly beautiful, without the wild swirls and teardrop halos I've been getting with my other macro and "Macro-Capable" (i.e. Zooms with macro function) lenses.
No, it's not a Bokina of a Bokeh Monster, it doesn't even have a catchy nickname! But it does the job just fine and the manual focus feel, like all M's, is absolutely superb.
Looking forward to seeing some nice macro shots from you!
Ron
01-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Jupiter-9 tops my list.
A PTTL flash
A better tripod head

That said if someone gave me a 12-24 I would not look askance . . .

01-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi Wolfiegirl,
Don't worry, it was money well spent. I've managed (with very little macro experience) to get some of my favorite shots with mine, the colors just jump off the page/screen and the bokeh is quietly beautiful, without the wild swirls and teardrop halos I've been getting with my other macro and "Macro-Capable" (i.e. Zooms with macro function) lenses.
No, it's not a Bokina of a Bokeh Monster, it doesn't even have a catchy nickname! But it does the job just fine and the manual focus feel, like all M's, is absolutely superb.
Looking forward to seeing some nice macro shots from you!
Ron

Thanks for the encouragement Ron

There's a few of my shots with the Macro lens in the black and white and M club threads. I think there's even one I put up today in the bokeh club. Feel free to go and take a look. Like I said, now that I own it, I'm pretty chuffed about it. It's an amazing lens. Funny how fast buyer's remorse disappears when you're using it and having fun!
01-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Thanks for the encouragement Ron

There's a few of my shots with the Macro lens in the black and white and M club threads. I think there's even one I put up today in the bokeh club. Feel free to go and take a look. Like I said, now that I own it, I'm pretty chuffed about it. It's an amazing lens. Funny how fast buyer's remorse disappears when you're using it and having fun!
both lenses have their place in someone's kit. the M100/4 is perfect because it is small and light and easy to travel with while the Tamron has 1:1 mag and 1 more stop.

the M100/4 is the only lens on my planned to buy list. but my wishlist is pretty long and I've started desiring expensive ones. M85 (or DA70/FA77), K28/2, Tamron 28-75, K5, FA43(upgrade). yikes...
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
both lenses have their place in someone's kit. the M100/4 is perfect because it is small and light and easy to travel with while the Tamron has 1:1 mag and 1 more stop.

the M100/4 is the only lens on my planned to buy list. but my wishlist is pretty long and I've started desiring expensive ones. M85 (or DA70/FA77), K28/2, Tamron 28-75, K5, FA43(upgrade). yikes...
thanks for helping me justify abacus i think in my case the 52b(b?) isn't 1:1 until I get the extension tube and the teleconverter? i can't remember. *fails the tamron addict test*

i'm going overseas in a few months on a trip around the mediterranean and after a 'healthy discussion' with wolfie boy yesterday he's thrown a spanner in the works ("we are not taking your lens collection with us" *grumbles*), which means i am now eyeing either an 18-250 tammy or some derivative of (the important thing is that it needs to start 18 and ends past 50). i checked out the 18-135 WR that everyone's been raving about but that price bracket is SO not going to happen. Unfortunately wolfie boy doesn't agree with me re the lens acquisition: "the answer isn't to buy another lens" he says.. (we only talked about it in my vain hope that i could get the cash out from the joint account)

either way both the 18-250 and the 17-70 lenses are out of my budget ($50 or less) so it means i'm going to have to up it, depending on how bad teh LBA gets.

01-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #113
Veteran Member

"we are not taking your lens collection with us" *grumbles*)
He does not really run anything does he?
01-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
He does not really run anything does he?
What do you mean? The household? Meh...

It was good though. I showed him a 18-250 at $100 odd (turns out it wasn't a Pentax mount ) and he totally freaked. "I thought all your lenses cost $20 each!" YES DARLING, that's right. You keep on remembering that...

Looks like there's going to have to be extra stealth involved if I do cave and get an AF in that range. sssshhh!
01-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #115
Site Supporter

Oh you folks are bad! Everytime I read about your lens' purchases at great prices, I think - I need one of those! But this time I shuffled off to the local pawn shop to see what they had. I am at the mercy of the lens gods though - they had 3 like new manual lenses in stock! I could not make up my mind and decided to wait for the new year, that and I had no idea what those gems were worth. So bright and early on the 2nd I made my offer and they accepted. Oh no, I bid too high! oh well.

So, what came home with me?
SMC PENTAX 1:1.8 / 85 mm
SMC PENTAX M MACRO 1:4 100MM
SMC PENTAX 1:4 / 200 mm and a tele-converter.

oh ya, the man needed a little something too so he got some sweet bushnell binoculars.

Liz in Calgary
01-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #116
Veteran Member

congrats on your purchases Liz! Those are great lenses you've got there. All three are rated highly here. So don't feel too bad about your purchases. I've seen great things from the 200/4 but haven't been lucky enough to scare a 85/1.8

Don't forget to share your piccies with us! We wanna see!!
01-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #117
Veteran Member

i'm going overseas in a few months on a trip around the mediterranean and after a 'healthy discussion' with wolfie boy yesterday he's thrown a spanner in the works ("we are not taking your lens collection with us" *grumbles*)
You don't have to take your collection. But you can take 3 or 4 lenses. The M50/1.7 and M100/4macro are perfect for travel. And toss in a 24-30mm lens and you have a versatile high quality kit.

I think you also need to start using the Rio method of acquisition. No buying until you have sold something and enough money in paypal to pay for the new lens. You're buying a little too fast...
01-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I wanted to complete my DA limited lens series, but with the rumor FF, I am not sure if I should continue invest in DA lenses. I only have 21mm & 35mm... but I guess I will get the 40mm as it is FF compatible.
So is the DA70. Let your LBA roam free :P
01-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
So is the DA70. Let your LBA roam free :P
lol

Are you what they a: "enabler"?
01-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
. You're buying a little too fast...
Everyone keeps on saying that... :ugh:

But buying is soooo much fun abacus!!

I just need one. more. lens. And then I'll be done. *nods* *smacks the person who's taking notes*

QuoteQuote:
You don't have to take your collection. But you can take 3 or 4 lenses. The M50/1.7 and M100/4macro are perfect for travel. And toss in a 24-30mm lens and you have a versatile high quality kit.
Good suggestions abacus. I'm having fun atm trying to decide which ones to take with me. There'll definitely be a fast fifty in the mix. Gotta get those low light shots in churches and night scenes!