Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron vs pentax

I have a chance to get a used Tamron lens and was wondering what you guys thought about it.

This is what I know...

Tamron 60 - 300 w/PK MF Mount. Used in good condition $66.00.

This is what I have ..

Pentax 80 - 200. Seems to be working fine...

I am not sure what the PK MF mount means exactly.. but I have been wanting a 300 but dont really want to duplicate what I already have....

Then there is also this promaster (which the guys says is a generic tamron????) that is a 28 0 300 with a macro switch?? I can either go macro or not...

Any thoughts??????

Thanks Kim

12-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kim, PK= Pentax K mount. MF=Manual Focus. This lens will be much heavier than the Pentax you now have but will give you a fair amount of extra reach. But it will have limits. There were a couple of versions of this lens. The later ones had the "A" setting and the most desireable. The older ones will require total manual metering/focus etc.
I'd highly recommend you test it if you can before buying the lens.
But for the small difference you should consider the Tamron 70-300mm Macro. Total AF and 1:2 macro. Sells in the $150 range and a better lens IMO.
Promaster are rebadged Sigmas and Tamrons. Hard to know for sure which it might be. They will often be missing the OEM Multi coatings that to originals have.
12-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Peter's suggestion is sound. A little more money but better IQ and Kim I think you will really like playing around with the macro part, it's fun. It would help a lot for flowers and stuff, more versatility. Now if the lens you're looking at has the A setting and it's in good shape, $66 seems a good price......if you don't mind manual focusing. However I don't know a thing about the IQ of that particular lens. I wouldn't consider the other lens if they had no coatings. Also, I'm finding that unless I have a lot of light to shoot with, these slower 300mm lenses really need a tripod to get the best out of them. I've lost some cool pictures to camera shake trying to handhold my Sigma 70-300. In fact one of the reasons I've bought a flash is to try to get more light on my subject with the 300mm. I'm beginning to wonder if it would have been cheaper to have bought a 300/2.8 for $2500 in the first place!
12-26-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

kim,
if this is the tamron Adaptal2 version then jump on it. you'll really like it. what's the aperture range?? ask them if the mount comes off. that will tell you if it's the adaptall. is it the SP model?? the SP Adaptal2 version of this lens is super, just a little slow.

12-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
TDN
Forum Member

Hi Kim,

I have this lens you're referring to I think.

is it this one? Tamron SP Adaptall-2 60-300mm F/3.8-5.4 Model 23A

I like it very much. It's very close to prime sharpness at all focal lengths, even 300mm.
It's not light, but not heavy either, and for that price, the quality is excellent.

Yours will probably come with a PK mount attached, which by itself is already worth 25$ easily. You can buy a KA mount on ebay, but those don't come cheap. I find the PK mount sufficient, I don't mind pressing the AE-L button to get exposures.

I payed 70 euros for mine (~100$), so yours is a bargain!

Tom
12-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Peter mentions the Tamron 70=300 Macro.I suggest prefrence to the Di LD model which is a later model. I have this lens and is very recommendable. I have done quite some Macro with it and found it quite sharp even when hand held. For its price, I feel it is good value for money IMHO. Ofcourse there are better lens but at higher prices.
12-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

going insane over the 70-300

I have to admit that i have all but given up on the 70-300 tamron because of all the negative reviews its getting here but will still keep it on the burner since it appears its all about who you ask when it comes to reviews about things. People keep mentioning it is horrible for purple fringe but i have always wondered if that is only visible when you pixel peep or will a purple fringe appear on an 8x10 print using this lens?

12-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Peter mentions the Tamron 70=300 Macro.I suggest prefrence to the Di LD model which is a later model. I have this lens and is very recommendable. .
You can throw my recommendation into this lens also.
12-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Bramela, The version I was referring to was the same, seen here on the Tamron web site.
AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD 1:2 Macro; Tamron USA, Inc.

I forgot about the Adaptall versions that Roy and TDN mentioned. The great thing about that version is you can use the Adaptall mount to use a wide variety of lenses with the same mount. Tamron made these adaptall versions to work on any brand of camera. Simple for them and it allowed any camera brand owner to get any lens they had in the line at the time.
12-26-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by TDN Quote
Hi Kim, I have this lens you're referring to I think.
is it this one? I like it very much. It's very close to prime sharpness at all focal lengths, even 300mm. It's not light, but not heavy either, and for that price, the quality is excellent.

Yours will probably come with a PK mount attached, which by itself is already worth 25$ easily. You can buy a KA mount on ebay, but those don't come cheap. I find the PK mount sufficient, I don't mind pressing the AE-L button to get exposures. I payed 70 euros for mine (~100$), so yours is a bargain! Tom
Yes Tom this is the one you are talking about and the one that some have linked to. But the wierd thing is today when I called the store to ask them a few questions abou the lens. They told me they do not recommend it for a digital camera. They told me that I would have to buy a metering system for it. That the metering system on my camera would not work on this lens because of its age??? Is that because of the Manual Focus??? I didn't quite understand what he was saying about it I guess...

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Peter mentions the Tamron 70=300 Macro.I suggest prefrence to the Di LD model which is a later model. I have this lens and is very recommendable. I have done quite some Macro with it and found it quite sharp even when hand held. For its price, I feel it is good value for money IMHO. Ofcourse there are better lens but at higher prices.
I also found out today that they do have a used Tamron 70 -300 Macro. Well it is a Macro switch so at certain focal ranges I can switch the macro on to get the 1:2 ratio.. otherwise it is just a regular lens..

Bramela?? I noticed in your sig that you have both the Pentax 50 -200 and the tamron 70 -300.. so you prefer one over the other? To me that are basically redudant of each other are they not?

Thank you again everyone for your feedback. I am going to look at the Tamron 70 -300 macro tomorrow.. they are asking 140 for it used...

Kim
12-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You can get it new for that price: Tamron Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF (AF017P-700) -
12-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #12
TDN
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
Yes Tom this is the one you are talking about and the one that some have linked to. But the wierd thing is today when I called the store to ask them a few questions abou the lens. They told me they do not recommend it for a digital camera. They told me that I would have to buy a metering system for it. That the metering system on my camera would not work on this lens because of its age??? Is that because of the Manual Focus??? I didn't quite understand what he was saying about it I guess...

Kim
Then they don't realise you're shooting with a Pentax!

When you attach the lens with a K-mount on your camera, all you have to do to get automatic metering is: put the camera in M mode. Choose the aperture with the ring on the lens, and hit the AE-L button. You'll notice that the camera actually closes the aperture for an instant to get the matching shutter speed. Then you're ready to press the shutter!

If you use it with a M42 screw mount, put the camera in Av mode and you'll get constant metering.

With the highly desired KA-mount, you'd even be able to use it like a new lens.

for more elaborate info about using old lenses with a Pentax DSLR: Pentax Digital Pentax Lens Types + K Mount info

I'll see if I can post you some samples of this lens later today.

In the meantime, check out the gallery here: http://www.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-60-300mm-f-3.8-5.4-23a-lens-review-4.html

Tamron SP 60-300mm f/3.8-f/5.4 27A

Tom

Last edited by TDN; 12-27-2007 at 11:33 AM.
12-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This will teach you how to use the manual lenses. Great Pictorial. I have the Sears 60-300 f4.0/5.6 and its a good lens as long as you can focus it and that isn't easy, I'd go with the Tamron af 70-300 Di II a awesome lens.

K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs] [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
12-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #14
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TDN Quote
Then they don't realise you're shooting with a Pentax!

When you attach the lens with a K-mount on your camera, all you have to do to get automatic metering is: put the camera in M mode. Choose the aperture with the ring on the lens, and hit the AE-L button. You'll notice that the camera actually closes the aperture for an instant to get the matching shutter speed. Then you're ready to press the shutter!

If you use it with a M42 screw mount, put the camera in Av mode and you'll get constant metering.

With the highly desired KA-mount, you'd even be able to use it like a new lens.

for more elaborate info about using old lenses with a Pentax DSLR: Pentax Digital Pentax Lens Types + K Mount info

I'll see if I can post you some samples of this lens later today.

In the meantime, check out the gallery here: http://www.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-60-300mm-f-3.8-5.4-23a-lens-review-4.html

Tamron SP 60-300mm f/3.8-f/5.4 27A

Tom
i agree,
another instance of a ''sales person'' knowing nothing about what they are talking about.. TDN(tom) has this lens and i've seen some excellent images that he's taken..