Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Indeed a great portrait, but for a head shot like that with a 50mm lens you either had to do some cropping or be within less than 3 feet of the person's face. It seems to me that this would be rather intimidating to most folks particularly with a SLR camera. Moreover, as someone else pointed out, a 70mm lens on the K10D would give you the same field of view as a 110mm lens on a 35mm camera because of the inherent cropping, but it would still have the same perspective as a 70mm on a 35mm camera, would it not? If this is so, then the 50mm lens might make someone's nose look a little larger than in real life, for example. It's my understanding that the 70mm is at the sweet spot, so to speak, for portraiture, at least for the head and shoulders views.

CN

01-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Jep, originally it is crop frop portrait oriented picture, I just explained it in another thread.
QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
If this is so, then the 50mm lens might make someone's nose look a little larger than in real life, for example.
This could happen if the lens was 28 mm, but on 50 mm?
01-13-2008, 11:21 PM   #33
mfc

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
I chose the DA70 over the 77 due to the slightly smaller size, weight and the faster focusing speed. The 77 though has that cool metal build, better bokeh in some situations and slightly briighter.

They are both great lenses and you can't go wrong with either IMO...
the da's of the same build quality{in comparison to a 43 ltd that is}
01-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #34
mfc

QuoteOriginally posted by mfc Quote
the da's of the same build quality{in comparison to a 43 ltd that is}
one thing going for the da is the way the af unlocks so u can ajust manualy after af{realy realy handy, more so than faster af on the 77 to me}

01-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #35
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey everyone: I thought I would provide some closure ( as if you needed it). I chose the Pentax 77mm limited. It was a tough decision, but I believe I made the best one for me. Thus far, all I can say is 'wow!' For those that own a copy, I don't have to tell you of the fine build quality. My first shots of the kids ( even indoors) are wonderful, sharp. Now for a longer zoom....

thanks again for the discourse...

m
01-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #36
mer

You made the best choice . I know I would take the 77ltd ( or the 85mm F1.4 ) over any other lens for low light portrait . Definetely not a zoom f2.8 .

Enjoy one of the best lenses ever made !