Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to all who responded, I have an appt. downtown (Sacramento) and I'm going to try my first street shots-
My goal, as always, is to take a shot that makes me feel ...something.
I have taken too many pictures that are of the "Yep, that's people walking down the street all right. Got some buildings too, look like stores or somesuch. Huh."
Luck is where skill meets preparation
Ken

01-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best thing is about wonderful lenses like this is the impressive zoom !!!! they are called legs lol.
If facing the sea or lake then you may need a boat to zoom in.
01-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
i'd recommend getting a snap in 30mm cap off ebay for it, the screw one becomes cumbersome to always screw on and off, and easily lost
I found the opposite - went back to the screw-in.
01-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #19
Site Supporter

BEWARE... the DA 40 Limited can be a VERY expensive lens.

I call the DA 40 my 'slippery slope' lens. After using it for a very short time, I fell under the spell of the "Limited" prime; a particularly virulent form of LBA (lens buying addiction), The only cure is to acquire them all.... I'm close, but not there, yet.

Cheers... Enjoy the lens and season... M

01-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
da40 has great optics, i have gone on trips just using it alone and the size is nice and compact

i'd recommend getting a snap in 30mm cap off ebay for it, the screw one becomes cumbersome to always screw on and off, and easily lost
Or you can use the cap from a Fuji film canister. Pops right in, easy peasy.
01-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I've had this lens and sold it a week or two later :ugh: The optic is awesome, the lens itsels produces rich colors and stunning sharpness across the frame. The build quality is another thing why I loved it. However I never really liked it's focal lenght - not to wide, not a telephoto either so I sold it despite I loved about everything except for 40mm FL. Now it is more than half a year and I am planning to change my kit lens.
These are the applicants:
1. Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - great optics, zoom, not so great focus speed (or am I wrong?)
2. Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - 1.4 is nice, quite small, great center sharpness, somewhat more versatile than 40mm
3. Pentax 35mm f/2.4 - cheap, great IQ, not so great build quality
4. Pentax 40mm (again??!!!) - somehow I miss it despite it's FL. Smallest aperture means less speed.

I am sorry I am off topic, just can't make the ''right'' decision.
01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
I am sorry I am off topic, just can't make the ''right'' decision.
!No existe! The 'right' decision doesn't exist! Just do the best you can. Or, get them all. One can never have too many lenses (as long as storage space exists).

I could get all dry and wonky and say, "Well shoot with your kit lens at various FLs and see which you like best" which might slice your dice for a 30-35-40 choice. Hay, you forgot the 31Ltd! Or I could get numerological and say, "Think of a progression -- how about 20-40-80mm? Or 16-35-70mm?" But the real answer is: Listen to the voices in your head. I always obey my voices. We all should. Selah!
01-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenhreed Quote
Just got a DA 40 ltd and wanted some advice as to what this lens excel at as I've not used a 40mm prime before. Looked at the lens review but would appreciate any opinions/thoughts/ etc.
thanks,
Ken
It could be regarded as as an ultra fast 200mm zoom lens if like so many people that never do anything more than look at pics on
screen or make prints bigger than A4 etc. Its called cropping !!!!!!
I grabbed a shot of a squirel in the park the other day on the K5 with tamron 17 to 50 fitted.
The furry critter was very small part of the pic though, but was ace. I cropped to about 25% and made an A4 print that is biting sharp !
Ive not tried it, but it wouldnt surprise me if I made a print on my A3+ printer ( 13" x 19" ) It would still give me a good sharp print.
As I planned to do this at the time I took the pic, I made sure the critter was In the middle of the frame so taking full advantage of the
center sweet spot of the lens. Such is the quality of todays cameras !
If it wasnt for certain clients of mine insisting on bigger files Im sure I would still be using my 5 million pixel olympus E1 since for
personal use I can only print upto 13" x 19" anyway. Pity it wont zoom backwards and zoom wide angle lol
Makes you think though doesnt it !!!!!!!