Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

Do you find the A 50mm f1.2 renders warmer?

Hello all. I guess this question is directed to any A series 50mm f1.2 owners. I was recently doing a photoshoot for a friend using both the FA 31mm and the A 5omm. However upon reviewing the photos on the back of my camera's LCD, I found that the 50mm rendered significantly warmer pictures in virtually the same conditions as the 31mm. I can't post the photos up of the shoot but will try to go out and take landscape shots for comparison.

Its not really a big deal as I shoot in RAW, just surprising. My K 50mm f1.2 doesn't seem to render as warmly as the A either. I was wondering if others experienced the same.

Thanks

01-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Warm it is, the K50/1.2, a bit warmer than A50/1.2. I don't have 31Ltd.
There are several K and M lenses that are warmer than these two.

Nikkors on pentax bodies has even cooler, neutral white and different rending.
When I look at the whole series from a lens (not to compare the color temp) the white neutral from the nikkors actually is very good.
01-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I shoot RAW and adjust WB / color temp on every image, so warmer|cooler rendering is meaningless to me. This is true for my K50/1.2, Nikkor 85/2, and everything else I use. I'll invoke an old rule: What you think you see, what you want to see, what the camera sees, and what's really there (if anything), are not the same. To my old eyes, the WB setting or tweaking has more effect on tone rendering than does the lens. So I tweak WB / color temp to make the colors look as I want them to look.