Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Lens caps off?
Do I now have to worry about dust!?
It's almost like you can't win!

I live in a student house... As such my bedroom (which I can and do lock) is the only really secure place to store my stuff, as you never really know 'what' my housemates will bring home!!
It is not necessary to remove the lens caps and you can store the lenses inside a cupboard, if that is not placed against an outside wall (which is the place, where usually most condensation occurs). I just meant to store them outside a closed bag. If you live in a student house, I guess your bedroom serves as your combined living room and as such will be heated and also might see fresh air from time to time. That should be fine, then. And don't use old leather lens cases as they are an ideal breeding place for fungus.

Ben

01-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
And don't use old leather lens cases as they are an ideal breeding place for fungus.
Do you think that leather cases lined with felt
are any better from that standpoint?
01-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Do you think that leather cases lined with felt
are any better from that standpoint?
I don't know, but I don't think so. Any organic matter is a good place for growing fungus. I have seen too many heavily infested leather cases, that I would recommend any off them. For transportation they might be fine, as leather has some genuinely good properties (robust, nice, offers good protection), but I would never use a leather case for storage.

More modern cases are only leather look-alikes and are made from some plastics, PVC or whatever. These are in no way better, as plastics restrict breathing and thus will not allow to get rid of moisture, once it has bee trapped inside. Just put a cold lens with some condensation into such a plastic case and and you have a very comfortable climate for fungus.

In general I prefer anything with a fabric, may it be canvas or nylon, as long as it is not sealed completely. But at home or if I stay in one place for longer than two or three days, I always store my lenses outside a closed photo bag.

Ben
01-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seconded on the recommendation against storage in leather cases. While they are great from a collector's standpoint, they do really seem to encourage fungal growth. I keep my lenses uncased on a bookshelf, caps on, and have never had any problems.

01-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #20

I just bought a Schneider-Kreuznach Componon 80mm f/5.6 enlarging lens for less than $15. I would like to use it with bellows for coin shoots. The seller disclosed that it had some fungus. Is this a likely candidate for cleaning?
I should be able to make the tools for disassembly. Guessing small blade spanners.
Thanks, Kurt