Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somebody really wanted the K 15/3.5

A lens so nice, they bought it twice.

A week or so ago, the ultra-rare aspherical version of the K 15/3.5 came up on eBay. Then a day or so later, another one came up. Supposedly only 100 or so of these were made. The seller of the second lens got it at an estate sale and at first didn't know what they had -- listed it as a fisheye, for one thing. I followed both auctions out of curiosity; first lens was sold for just under $800. Then the second lens went for -- just under $800 -- to the same bidder. Second-high bidder also the same in both cases. I imagine he or she thought the same bid would do it, as surely the winning bidder from the first auction wouldn't be be bidding on this one?

I suppose the winning bidder really wanted to make sure of a good copy. I suppose bidder #2 is gnashing teeth, and waiting to see if #1 lists one of these for sale soon.

01-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Collector, I guess. I won't lie, I have both the A and the K versions, but they are both *terrible* in terms of IQ on digital compared to the DA 15mm, plus they tend to overexpose.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have the Tak asph version, which is the same lens. Nice on film, but bad at edges. As long as pentax has no FF, the DA12-24 is better. Heavy. I use it twice may be three days a year. For $800 it is def worth as investment.
01-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i'd love to try this 15mm on a Film body

So either i need to win lotery to buy it, or found a lovely girl that will love me, and allow me to play with this epic lens

01-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The one I had was poor on film and terrible on digital. $800 isn't really unreasonable if in EX+ condition. Problem is some were made to believe all Pentax lenses were awesome.
01-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The one I had was poor on film and terrible on digital
in fact that the wide seem so huge, and is appealing. A 17/4 FE could be nice too. And cheaper !
01-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
JVi

There is currently a third one (the "A" version) on EBay in a "Nikon" mount. Looks like the diaphragm lever has been butchered. Sad to see such a mess.
01-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

the 850$ one ? so ridiculous ...

01-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JVi Quote
There is currently a third one (the "A" version) on EBay in a "Nikon" mount. Looks like the diaphragm lever has been butchered. Sad to see such a mess.
The horror, the horror ...

Agreed with wlachan that $800 is reasonable -- I was expecting them to fetch a little more. This was an expensive lens when new -- sold for around US$500 then, which I think would be somewhere around $2,000 in today's dollars.
01-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
JVi

Here is a link.