Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Filter recommendation for Pentax 16-45 lens?

I got a Pentax 16-45 mm Zoom lens from my wife for Xmas. I always put a filter on, but the last time I got a new lens was back about 25 years ago, when I got my A 35-105 Zoom lens.

I used to get just a plain filter to leave on at all times, able to take pictures in day and night, inside and out. I would always try to buy the best filter I could afford, as I want to keep the expensive lens quality reflected in my pictures.

What brand, type of filter would you suggest that would serve the role of protection and not detract from the lens quality?

I was thinking about Hoya...as they are now Pentax's owners and I think they have a top notch reputation...but I've been away from buying filters for many a year and I'm sure there are some new things to consider.

I want to use the Pentax supplied lens hood with the filter.

Thanks for all advice.

12-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Hoya Pro1 UV filters are top notch and will be a good compliment to the lens. That being said. I don't often shoot with a filter on at all (other than ND's or polarizers). Every piece of glass (front or rear) will cause some (even minor) issues with picture quality. A front filter can cause slight distortions and reflections.

Many just like the peace of mind, that the filter is much cheaper to replace than the lens is and want that protection. I just always leave the lens cap on at all times between shots and add a hood to give the protection from damage and also stray light. A good hood is the best accessory IMO for any lens.
12-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I lucked into a B + W daylight filter at a camera show, brand new for a fraction of the price, for my 16-45. It's stayed on ever since - though I agree with Peter that using the hood covers many of the reasons for using a filter (protection etc).

From reading and experience, sometimes the Hoya multi coated ones can be a pain to clean. But they are priced well.

Personally, I do tend to keep filters on - but also I don't worry so much about the IQ loss (does that indicate IQ loss in me?) When going outdoors e.g. the beach, I make sure I have the filter on. When I want the best quality and/or am shooting where lens glare can be a problem, I take them off.
12-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If price is no concern, get the B+W UV MRC. HOYA HMC SUPER UV(0) is equally good optically but the MRC is easier to clean. My own conclusion is that as long as they don't flare, there is no impact on image quality practically.

12-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I bought a B + W filter UV. Seems to work fine. Expensive but seems like a very high quality filter. Thanks for the recommendations.
12-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One more time...:-)

Filter recommendation - Digital Camera Resource Page - Forums