Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #31

I have a 35 year old Kiron 28-135 f/3.2 that is big and heavy. It way 3 1/2 times what the 18-55 kit lens. But the glass is just outstanding, the IQ is fantastic and I carry it around as my first choice, and my telle is a Kiron 70-210 f/4 both are MF but it seams my K5 loves them. I need to buy some more primes on the wide end. I have the DA 17-70 f/4 coming next week so I will test it out for sure. I have 20 or more vintage MF Pentax lenses. I won't know how to act with AF.

01-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #32
Forum Member

i love my da50-135..the size of 70-200 seems too big to carry it around

01-07-2012, 03:30 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
It's a fantastic top tier lens, but lets be honest, I am certain the only reason why "why aren't 50-135 more popular" is the cost. Look at the cost of it compared to other lenses comparable in focal lengths (or close focal lengths), the 50-135 is $850 new (which is actually a low price now) compared to a Tamron 70-200 @ $700 new, or a Tammy 2.8 with a wider and slightly shorter focal length for more than less of half the price. The focal length is fantastic, and the IQ is simply incredible throughout it's focal range (check out forum members fs999's flicker stream Flickr: fs999's Photostream, he has quite a bit of work done with the 50-135 that rivals the best work I have seen done with prime lenses).
I bought it 2 years ago when the price was lower, the DA18-135 cost now just as much as the DA*50-135 did....
01-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Just note that those were taken by Jay, a man who can make any lens look like a pro lens
Good point,

01-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Ah, to heck with all the numerical rationalization, we can always find a way to convince ourselves to buy and carry any fine lens.
1. the 50-135 feels and acts like a series of prime lenses. the optics are just stellar. Its not expensive when you consider its cheaper than a coupla brand new primes.
2. It makes even my half-assed compositions look good
3. when i first got it, i disliked the long hood, and even bought a short rubber replacement from adorama. but then the brilliance of the hood convinced me, the long hood keeps every stray bit of light off the lens, and if its raining - its my rainy lens - it keeps the rain drops off the outer lens which will ruin any shot. wondeful lens in the rain as long as you don't point it upwards.
4. has great bokeh
5. I wouldn't call its a sports lens unless you were in closer than usual, or a wildlife lens. in many ways its perfect for outdoor plays, special events and indoor/outdoor theatre, which is what i bought it for. perfect also for many cityscapes. tons nicer to carry around than todays 70-200

The bad: Its focus speed is a little on the slow side. i compensate for it by anticipating the area where i think the stage action may be occuring and use the af button rather than focus on every shot. works fine. in 3 years, i've had no problem with the sdm, if it failed, i'd get it fixed. its silent which is a plus for indoor shots.

Carrying on a trip? Depends on the trip. If it was a hiking trip, i'd carry a series of primes. around town, i carry it a 21 and a 35. or a tamron 28-75.

If i could only have one lens, this is the one.
01-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #36

Seems to me that the 50-135 actually is quite popular… at least if you can afford it.
01-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
Seems to me that the 50-135 actually is quite popular… at least if you can afford it.
That's what I was going to say. The only reason they're not more popular is that they're darned expensive. There aren't a lot of DA* lenses. It's not really that hard to get them all if you have the money.