Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

looking at UWA lenses

I know there has been several threads about this but then all seem older and don't have the 15mm Samyang in the discussions

i am still fairly new and i am i have started desiring a wide lense
My current lenses:
Pentax-FA 50mm f1.4
Pentax-DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR
Quantaray 70-300mm f4-5.6 LDO macro

the
70-300mm is gor because it was really cheep and i didn't know how much i would use a long zoom
I have mostly used the 18-55 and keep on desiring something wider.

i have been mostly taking scenery photos with the occasional structure.
As you see i haven't been getting the most expensive glass but there really isn't a cheep UWA.
i was wondering how the 14mm Samyang compares with the others and with the 18-55mm would a prime like it make sense?
but since the greater price would i just be better off getting a
Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8

01-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #2

you might take a look at the Sigma 10-20 or the Pentax 12-24
01-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd add the Tamron 10-24 to the mix. I went through this process last year just prior to new years and decided on the Tamron for a variety of reasons - better QC than Sigma, Better warranty at 6 years standard, lower price, and direct comparisons did not give much to the Sigma (when it was a descent copy).
01-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The rectilinear (not fisheye) UWAs I know anything about are the two Sigma 10-20s, the Pentax DA12-24, and the Tamron 10-24 (which I now own). I could have bought any of these a year ago. I chose the Tamron for several reasons:

* lowest cost and longest warrenty
* known QC problems with Sigma
* widest and most useful focal range

The Pentax is undoubtedly the best optically. It's also heavy, expensive, and has a short warranty. People love the Sigmas --once they get a good copy. I've read too many users talk of returning 2-3-4 copies before getting a good one. My Tamron is good optically and the range is great -- 10mm for tight spaces, 15-16mm for narrow streets etc, 24mm for 'scapes.

If you don't mind image edges bending in, consider a fisheye too. The best is the DA10-17, the lens that drove me to Pentax. Great for exploiting angles! But defishing its images can be disappointing. If you want fairly 'normal' looking images, skip the fisheye, go rectilinear.

01-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I was going through the same thing a few months ago. I had decided on either the Tamron 10-24 or the Sigma 10-20. I made the mistake of visiting the DA 15 Limited thread . I ended up buying the DA 15 Limited. While a zoom would give me more flexibility, I haven't regretted the decision for a second. I feel I've taken many of my best photos with this lens. One day, I may end up with one of the zooms, but I feel the 15 serves my UWA needs just fine.

Good luck with your choice!
01-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you were considering the 16-50, price-wise you might as well get a 12-24, 10-20 or 10-24. You will always want wider than 16, and will end up with one of these at some point. Or the Samyang if you don't mind manual focus (also a likely possibility with the 16-50 :-)
01-04-2012, 08:49 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While you are in the process of deciding, try stitching overlapping images together. Its very easy to do. 1) just take adjoining images overlapping them by about 25 to 33%. 2) use software to stitch them in to a single image. You can use ICE from Microsoft - its free.

Last edited by interested_observer; 01-04-2012 at 09:47 PM.
01-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
While you are in the process of deciding, try stitching overlapping images together. Its very easy to do. 1) just take adjoining images overlapping them by about 15 to 33%. 2) use software to stitch them in to a single image. You can use ICE from Microsoft - its free.
Thanks for the ICE
01-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
thank you for all your replies.

surprised no-one has suggested the sigma 8-17mm. (is there a reason for this aside from the price?)
if i decide this (of some other that can't take filters) is the best option i think i will first get some filters and play with them to see if i really like them

I like the arguments for the Tamron 10-24, they make sense
I really don't mind manual zoom, but i have never really liked most fisheye pictures, maybe it's an acquired taste that is yet to "fine" for me
the DA 15 Limited looks quite good, but i think i am leaning towards the Tamron 10-24 for the price and width.

but first ICE needs a try, that sounds like a good thing to test first, .... must .... resist .... LBA
01-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening,

UWA lenses - so let me launch in to my standard overview - somewhat...

Landscapes taken by professional photographers usually are with mid 20 to mid 30 focal lengths. The reason for this is that at these focal lengths there is little to no distortion. So when the lens get wider than say 24 to 28mm you start to see distortion. The reason for this is as the Angle of View gets wider, the lens is pulling in more of the scene around the edges of the frame - sides along with the top and bottom. In order to accommodate this the center of the image tends to get pushed back into the distance. The distortion along the edges tend to manifest itself as some pulling and stretching. So the wider you get, the more of this distortion. The complexity of the lens' optical design also increases in terms of the engineer trying to mitigate this distortion as much as possible. What this results in is more glass, higher quality glass, greater and more precise lens grinding, which drives up cost.

Also, lets say that you camera body has a 2K x 3K pixel sensor. As the focal length decreases (gets wider) and the angle of view increases, each pixel on the sensor records a larger and larger area within the scene being captured. The end result is that at the individual pixel - since its recording a larger area, is recording a less sharp image.

The popular and available UWA lenses come in several types:
  • Rectilinear - This is the normal type of lens, where the lens tries to keep straight lines straight
  • Zoom - Is a lens that has a variable focal length from one limit to another limit - i.e., a 10-20mm lens
  • Prime - Is a lens that has a single focal lens, i.e., 31mm This enables the lens to have a simpler design, thus is able to produce higher quality images.
  • Non-Rectilinear - This is the type of lens where the distortion is uncorrected. Straight lines are bent, and that is what you get.
  • Fisheye - Again uncorrected and can come in either a prime or a zoom. Pentax is unique (along with Tokina who they co-designed the lens with) by offering the DA 10-17 Fisheye
Bottom line - the wider you go the more distortion, and usually the higher the cost. Also, it tends to be very difficult to understand what you will see by just going off the focal length - as its pretty meaningless for most folks. Look at the angle of view for each lens (for the specific sensor type - Pentax is the APS-C).

Got to go watch Burn Notice - there is more I want to include here - but a bit later. Been in a meeting all day 6am to 6.30pm. I want to go vegetate for a while.....

01-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falagund Quote
I know there has been several threads about this but then all seem older and don't have the 15mm Samyang in the discussions
You mean the 13|14mm Samyang. There is one particular thread on the forums here with a picture shot (same subject with all lenses) with many different UWA lenses including the pentax 14 and 15 along with some higher end glass and the Samyang appeared to edge out most in IQ and overall sharpness with maybe the pentax 15 one of the only ones that appeared better. I am sure that I am subscribed to the thread but can't seem to find it in my subscriptions..

(maybe someone will remember the thread and post a link)
01-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Joe - you beat me to it, and I have not been able to find it, but it appears that we were both thinking of the same thread.

01-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #13

Original Poster
i believe this is the thread you are talking about? Guess i missed it when i was searching earler, thank you for telling me about it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140976-test-3-...g-14mm-ff.html
01-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Throw another vote for the 10-24. You will find that lens so versatile it'll never ( ok maybe I'm exaggerating ) leave the camera. I got this lens for interior photography and have been very happy. Super quick focus, able to get 1:4 magnification, and distortion is very well controlled. I've got a used copy but I've seen new ones for as low as $415 shipped.
01-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falagund Quote
i believe this is the thread you are talking about? Guess i missed it when i was searching earler, thank you for telling me about it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140976-test-3-...g-14mm-ff.html
No - the thread compared (I believe) 5 lenses and included the pentax 14 and 15 and a few others, the subject of the pictures (if I remember correctly) was a bowl of fruit on a table in a dining room...