Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Review: SMC Pentax-F* 300mm f4.5 ED IF

Well I guess I will start off the reviews here with my personal favourite the F*300...

This is a lovely lens.. Fantastic optical quality, slightly above in my opinion the Canon equivelant, though much smaller and still very well constructed... Optically it is the same as the FA version, but I prefer this one due to the tripod mount..

Minimum focus distance is around 2 meters which can mean some nice closeups with the equiv. FOV of 450mm on our APS DSLRs.. It has a 67mm thread for filters and comes in at just under 900gm..

No problems on any Pentax DSLRs focuses accurately no FF or BF issues at all to speak of..

Built in hood is handy (one less thing to forget), it unscrews ad slides out then screws into place securely.. Tripod mount is removable when you don't need it.

Overall Rating - 4.7

Construction - 5 - Its very well built solid metal lens. And small for its focal length.

Usage - 4- Due to its construction it is a bit heavy and not the fastest to focus either..

Optical - 5 - I can't take marks off here it is a fantastic lens in this regard.

Some Samples

This is the best part some sample shots with this lens...

If you want any more detail let me know, will do my best to answer all questions..

12-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Those are some sweet shots.

Did you get this one new or was it avalible used?
May I inquire as to the price?
12-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting this, joele

Great pics and a great lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Those are some sweet shots.
thanks

QuoteQuote:
Did you get this one new or was it avalible used?
May I inquire as to the price?
It came from a camera store here in Australia, second hand only about 4-5 months ago.. It cost me AUD$1,200, though the prices on ebay lately I think that was actually a pretty good deal..

12-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Thanks for posting this, joele
No problem MO, I won't be online for the next week, but when I get back I will do a few more for my other lenses...

QuoteQuote:
Great pics.
Thanks mo