Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sticky focus ring on SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

OK, so the lens was mounted on my K2000, sitting on a short (~2 foot tall) bookcase when our cats decided to start chasing each other around the room. In the end, I heard a thump and saw that the camera had fallen, lens side down, onto the carpeted floor. There's no visible damage, but the focus ring does not turn as smoothly as it did before. Probably the best word to describe the feel of it is "sticky" - it seems to resist turning until a certain amount of pressure is applied (not a tremendous amount of pressure, mind you), then it will move. AF works, but it seems slightly slower and noisier than it was before.

I know this lens is all plastic, and I've worked with plastic enough to know that once it's bent, warped, scratched, etc, fixing it is no trivial matter. I was just wondering what the best course of action would be here. I could:

1) Do nothing and live with it - Like I said, AF works fine, and I rarely switch to MF mode with this lens.

2) See if Pentax would repair or replace it under warranty (while it's still under warranty, damage due to a fall is not a defect, so probably wouldn't be covered).

3) Failing the warranty coverage bit, send it somewhere for repair (if possible).

4) Figure out how to extract money from the pets responsible and buy a new one. However, since violins and such don't seem to use actual cat-gut for strings or bows anymore, that option seems unlikely.

01-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wedge Quote
OK, so the lens was mounted on my K2000, sitting on a short (~2 foot tall) bookcase when our cats decided to start chasing each other around the room. In the end, I heard a thump and saw that the camera had fallen, lens side down, onto the carpeted floor. There's no visible damage, but the focus ring does not turn as smoothly as it did before. Probably the best word to describe the feel of it is "sticky" - it seems to resist turning until a certain amount of pressure is applied (not a tremendous amount of pressure, mind you), then it will move. AF works, but it seems slightly slower and noisier than it was before.

I know this lens is all plastic, and I've worked with plastic enough to know that once it's bent, warped, scratched, etc, fixing it is no trivial matter. I was just wondering what the best course of action would be here. I could:

1) Do nothing and live with it - Like I said, AF works fine, and I rarely switch to MF mode with this lens.

2) See if Pentax would repair or replace it under warranty (while it's still under warranty, damage due to a fall is not a defect, so probably wouldn't be covered).

3) Failing the warranty coverage bit, send it somewhere for repair (if possible).

4) Figure out how to extract money from the pets responsible and buy a new one. However, since violins and such don't seem to use actual cat-gut for strings or bows anymore, that option seems unlikely.
Bummer. Send it to Pentax (CRIS) and see if they'll repair it or they'll detect the shock damage and make you pay for the repair (no need to send it elsewhere for repair). It could be the case that repairing the lens would not be cost-effective, but it might also be a cheap and quick fix. If the repair fee is too high, just ask for the lens to be returned and use it as-is. I just sent in a DA12-24 (Samsung version) which was sticky at regular intervals across the focus throw. Cost $100 to repair, but I was covered under an insurance policy thankfully
01-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cost of a repair (if not covered) will likely be close to the value of the lens, unless they've very nice about it. I'd just live with it for now.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: