Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Wake up to reality! If you examine the demographics of the typical Pentax user, most can't or won't pay for such a lens. If they did have the means, they'd quite likely jumped ship and gone Canikon already.
Why??

01-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Why??
Forgive the generalization. Well just look at the typical profile of most of the folks on this and other Pentax specific forums. Many are either late in their careers or have retired. They would have used film cameras in the past, tend to have manual lenses as a frame of reference. Most may not have the means or propensity to spend much on gear. Conversely, there are many new users who have not dabbled with film cameras in the past but are new entrants into using DSLRs. They chose Pentax because Pentax cameras are generally affordable and offer the most bang for the buck.

Just look at the number of people who finally got a K-5 because the price has dropped. Most probably thought long and hard before pulling the trigger. Among my Canikon pals, most wouldn't even bat an eyelid to buy a Canon "L" lens or Nikon G lens. Simply put when you got the means, you'd gravitate to what's best, money no object. If I were REALLY raking in silly money, I'd jump onto a Nikon D4, no matter how good the K-5 may be. That goes for lenses too.
01-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Clark:
14mm-80mm f/2.2 WR all metal and rubber no plastic,
more like $2200-2500 would be my guess
More like about US$100k would be my guess. Miniature-format (135/FF, APS-C) f/2.2 zooms don't exist. The fastest production zooms ever built were f/2.5, and they were nowhere near so wide. If Canon-Nikon-Sigma-Tamron-etc thought such a beast was buildable and sellable, they'd have produced some. Would there be demand? Fark yes! But I guess even National Geographic doesn't have the budget for such.
01-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Forgive the generalization. Well just look at the typical profile of most of the folks on this and other Pentax specific forums. Many are either late in their careers or have retired.
You'll have to forgive me for feeling you are dead wrong. Whenever I see Pentax cameras out in the world (and it may surprise you to know it does happen), they are almost without fail in the hands of the 20 and 30 somethings. I have only maybe once or twice seen someone at 50+ with a Pentax camera.

Simply put when you got the means, you'd gravitate to what's best, money no object. If I were REALLY raking in silly money, I'd jump onto a Nikon D4, no matter how good the K-5 may be. That goes for lenses too.
I appreciate you stating your bias so clearly. If I had unlimited funds right now, I still wouldn't buy a Nikon. I *might* consider a Canon, except they dumped their mount and customers a while ago; and the only reason I'd look there is their exotic glass such as the 200/1.8; I certainly don't find their camera bodies to be superior.

01-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I *might* consider a Canon, except they dumped their mount and customers a while ago;
To be fair, it was 24 years ago, not a while ago.
01-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
To be fair, it was 24 years ago, not a while ago.
Some of us have long memories. (Mine keep dribbling away however.)