Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Pretty sure they were all the same. If you were using a Takumar or something other than a Pentax-M lens then maybe, but otherwise only the needle moved up and down.
Now I want to dig that thing up and check if it was broken. I had an m50 1.7 and an albinar 135 f2.8 and it would stop-down as it metered when I would change the aperture....hmmmm Oh well, once Kodak goes under, unfortunately it may soon be irrelevant. Unless fuji film stays around.

01-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So, you're saying the viewfinder darkened as you changed aperture, to the point where focusing was essentially impossible past f/8 or so? I'm guess that's not the case. You saw the metering change as you moved the aperture lever, but that's not because the lens was actually stopping down - it's because the camera read the aperture ring. That's what current cameras no longer have the hardware to do.

A couple other misconceptions to clear up:

The two pictures you took might jave had the same exposure and FOV, but the DOF was *entirely* different between them, because of the difference in actual aperture.

Also, when shooting in M mide, you don't need to change exposure with every shot - just whenever the light changes enough to affect exposure significantly enough to be worth adjusting for. If you shot with a K100D, you should realize this isn't *that* often.
01-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My viewfinder would darken, so now I'm wondering if my coupler was broken... All my shots were outside, and I never really went above f11 so it wasn't that bad. It was my first camera, so I never knew it was wrong, but since I've had my P3 and k10....epiphany