Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

sigma 10-20mm QC

Hey,
I am thinking about getting a sigma 10-20mm f4 but I believe sigma's quality control for this lens is poor. This may seem like a stupid question (I am a bit of a novice) but what actually tends to be wrong with certain copies? What should I look out for? Does the problem tend to be with AF, build or the actual glass?

Any reply greatly appreciated.

Cheers

01-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Sigma 10-20

This is a highly-respected lens. There is an entire section in the lens forum with hundreds of examples of just how good this lens is. I have it and I really enjoy using it. I particularly like taking photos of courthouses in my state, and sometimes you have to get pretty close to eliminate lots of unwanted stuff. While this is not the only use for a super wide angle, it certainly does a great job for me in this regard
01-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oldjohn Quote
This is a highly-respected lens. There is an entire section in the lens forum with hundreds of examples of just how good this lens is. I have it and I really enjoy using it. I particularly like taking photos of courthouses in my state, and sometimes you have to get pretty close to eliminate lots of unwanted stuff. While this is not the only use for a super wide angle, it certainly does a great job for me in this regard
Thanks- I was looking also at a da21ltd but was put off by the lack of flexibility of a prime- I have heard that sigma has some problems with quality control- are you aware of this and do you know what to look out for?
Thank you very much for your reply
01-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Sigma 10-20

I am not personally aware of any quality control problems with this lens. As mentioned, lots of folks have it and are very pleased. If you can try one out, then that might ease your concerns. If that is not possible, then perhaps ordering from a business that has a generous return policy, such as Adorama or B&H would be an option. I did note that you are in London, so don't know if mail order from on of the US houses would be right for you. Best wishes and good luck in your research.

01-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a variety of threads here about Sigma QC on its lenses and some include the 10-20 you cited. Individual stories are great and all and its wonderful that some of the users here have gotten acceptable copies on the first try but others have reported needing to try 2-3 and even 4 copies before they got one that was right. Those reports, and there are quite a few as I recall, are part of why I went with the Tamron 10-24 instead. Add to that price, 6 year warranty, and broader range and it was an easy choice.
01-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Autofocus on a UWA lens isn't going to be perfect. Some people might get this lens expecting great autofocus on the 10mm end, when you have to consider that the AF can't find that much to work with at 10mm.

So don't give the lens that bad of a report based on AF.
01-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Autofocus on a UWA lens isn't going to be perfect. Some people might get this lens expecting great autofocus on the 10mm end, when you have to consider that the AF can't find that much to work with at 10mm.

So don't give the lens that bad of a report based on AF.
True, but there are more reports of poor copies with the Sigma than there are with the Tamron and they both go to 10mm.

01-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bear in mind Sigma has sold far more of the 10-20 than Tamron.

Sigma backs up the 10-20 with a 10 year warranty here in Canada.