Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes, the "black ribbed part", also marked with "HOLD" in the link you posted, is the part that is wobbling, together with the screw mount. I have found this link to be better, but I still cannot understand the following: "This section is composed of three parts: The mount piece, the piece that moves up and down the helicoid, and a ring that holds them together. So first, you remove this ring: some "micro" screws, then unscrew the ring (holding the other piece tightly, might be a little "complicated" )" I cannot seem to be able to unscrew that silvery ring, and I'm afraid not to break anything. Can you confirm that this is what I have to do?

01-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Be careful if you start taking apart the focusing helicoid - I did that on a Zeiss Biotar and it could be screwed back in several different places, so it took me an hour of trial and error to find the right way that would allow infinity focus again.
The same happened to me with the Jupiter already, but I managed to set the focus spot on eventually.
01-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Yes, the "black ribbed part", also marked with "HOLD" in the link you posted, is the part that is wobbling, together with the screw mount. I have found this link to be better, but I still cannot understand the following: "This section is composed of three parts: The mount piece, the piece that moves up and down the helicoid, and a ring that holds them together. So first, you remove this ring: some "micro" screws, then unscrew the ring (holding the other piece tightly, might be a little "complicated" )" I cannot seem to be able to unscrew that silvery ring, and I'm afraid not to break anything. Can you confirm that this is what I have to do?
Bear in mind that I am just now reading the same description and I don't have any more experience than you do with this part of the disassembly.

Let's say we number the photos in that article starting with 1.

#3 seems to show the ring with its screws. #4 shows the ring after removing the screws and taking it off the lens. #5 shows the 2 pieces that you are left with - the upper one is the mount you want to remove. And #6 shows the removed mount part.

So it looks like the ring with the screws (the one that is silvery in your lens, but black in these pictures) is what is holding the metallic mount part against the part that screws on the focusing helicoid. The problem may be that it doesn't hold the mount part tight against the other piece - maybe it wasn't screwed in properly or it wasn't tightened well. You will probably see what is the issue once you remove it.

So it looks indeed like you need to unscrew that silver ring - I don't think you can break anything trying to do that because the entire assembly seems made out of solid pieces. If you have trouble unscrewing it, it could also mean it got screwed badly and the thread got damaged, and as a result it couldn't get screwed as much as it should, allowing the play between the pieces - that could also explain why you now can't unscrew it easily. Hopefully, this is not the issue, because if it is, I don't think there is much you can do to fix it.
02-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In my one-week vacation I came back to this lens to see if I can repair it. Of course I managed to misplace the three small screws retaining the silver ring. But their absence seems to have absolutely no effect on the functioning of the lens - very, very weird. Nor do they actually help loosen anything. They just unscrewed and got lost. For the life of me I can't figure how this is supposed to be disassembled.

02-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I found out that I have to remove the distance scale ring too. It is fixed by 3 set screws, however one of them has a stripped head. Given it's so small, conventional ways of removing it have failed so far. Any ideas please?

(sorry for the ugly close-up, just wanted to bring the screw closer)
02-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I once found a screw that only had half its head (in a Mir 1V) - the other part had broken. I manage to unscrew it by keeping the screwdriver pushed against the remaining part. Maybe here you can unscrew it by keeping the screwdriver pressed hard enough to use friction?
03-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Hi everyone !
I just got on this forum, found it while searching "helios M44 dismantle"
Today I bought a zenit E for aprox 3 $, since it was totally ruined, probably tossed in someone's garden.
The Helios is pretty simple to disassemble up to a certain point, so I'll try and post my experiene so far :
First of all you must have a watchmaker's screwdriver set, otherwise you won't be able to unscrew the minuscule screws.
The focus ring is the first to come off, just unscrew the 3 tiny ones, then you hit the more difficult part, removing the aluminium/black metal part (the piece that moves up and down the helicoid) : this is fastened with 3 mini screws which you must remove, then lubricate it with some spray grease for removing seized bolts (WD-40 is for something else), i use something from Wurth and let it work for a few minutes ; this piece has two slots on it, there probably is a special tool for them, but i used a screwdriver and a small hammer (50 g) and punched little by little on one of these slots. counterclockwise, as you would normally unscrew a bolt ; Girlfriend might come in handy, so she can hold the lens pressed while you bang it
After you remove this, unscrew the stopper screw then simply lift the upper ring, then unscrew the last piece from the helicoid.
Below you have the pictures of : the upper ring , the aluminium part which you have to bang and the threaded piece that slides on the helicoid.

This is how far i've made it, still haven't figured out how to remove the aperture ring
Keep in touch !
Dan.
Attached Images

03-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #23

Hi, calcaneu , Can you show the step by step procedures for dismantling the helios 44m?TQ, BTW which version are you dismantling?The one with the auto manual switch?

03-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #24
Inactive Account

The "daddy" of this dismantling/adapting procedure is here : Helios 44-2 adapted to Nikon F - No-glass adapter and infinity focus (Page 1) - Maintenance & Repairs - Manual Focus Forum
His last post states that u need not modify the metal parts, but just remove a spacer between the lens, so it will focus on infinity when using an adapter. The only spacer that I found is very easily accessible by removing the first internal ring (see the pics), then just drop the two lenses and the spacer between them. The only problem is that by removing that spacer, the two small lenses will rub against each other, probably misaligned from the start.
If the starter of this topic is so kind, he could ask on the other forum which spacer to remove , since registrations are not available there, so I can't do this myself.
This helios is an early model, it has no A/M switch, it has an extra f stop ring right at the front, which lets you "block" certain apertures.
BTW, what kind of solvent can I use to properly clean the lenses ?
Attached Images

03-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Spacer

I still couldn't figure out how to make this lens work with the nikon-M42 adapter, I've taken out both spacers, but still the lens focuses between 0.5 and 2.5 meters, that's all ...

Any ideas ? In red are the spacers.
Attached Images

03-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calcaneu Quote
The "daddy" of this dismantling/adapting procedure is here : [URL="http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=12363"] BTW, what kind of solvent can I use to properly clean the lenses ?
I use Zippo lighter fluid on cotton earbuds. Works wonders.
Also, I wouldn't bother the spacers between lenses. Adjusting focus should be obtained by moving the whole optical section, not just parts of it.

Last edited by kcobain1992; 03-29-2012 at 03:41 PM.