Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #16

Thanks to both of you.

That was rude of me to interrupt the OP's thread but I thought that it had run its course. I won't let that happen again.

Cheers.

Tom

01-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #17

Original Poster
Many thanks for all the responses.

Vincent
01-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I don't know where people are paying these high prices for M42 adapters. I got mine new from the Pentax webstore and it was only $21.95. That and there is a free shipping coupon that I used PENTAXFREE at checkout.
01-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Maybe Pentax has been feeling the competition from 3rd-party adapters. Pricing them around US$40 was just nutz. Even at US$20 they should still be pretty profitable. Yes, anyone with a screwmount lens should own just one Official Pentax adapter, or more for extra bodies. But when the M42s start accumulating, you'll start looking for piles of cheap clone adapters, mark my words.

01-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never had a need for more than one.

I've recently thought about getting another, so I can bring my currently unused K20D to work and have it with either a longish or a shortish lens mounted in addition to the K-5, which is pretty much always at 105mm.

I haven't done it yet simply because I already have too much camera crap lying around in the truck anyway....and I already take way more pictures than I should.

But I've never found it burdensome to swap lenses with the adapter left in the camera. Truth be told, I kind of like spinning them on and off and the bayonet style short twist leaves me a tad bit cold.
01-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hydriv Quote
Darn...... three zoom lenses, two prime and a 500 mm mirror are now in the antique class. What a waste.
Some 500/8 mirror lenses used T-mounts that can be easily adapted to other brands by getting another T-mount. The T-mount system doesn't have any aperture lever but mirror lenses don't either, so it works fine.

Back to the OP, the only drawback to using Auto-Takumars on DSLRs is the cameras can't push the M42 pin in. That means you can't actually use the interesting lever to cock the aperture wide open. You have to focus first wide open, then change the aperture with the aperture ring. The 135 aperture ring on mine is fairly stiff.

01-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I've never had a need for more than one.
They actually made it hard to need more than one original adapter, because you have to unscrew a lens anyway if you want to remove the adapter from the camera.
01-13-2012, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
They actually made it hard to need more than one original adapter, because you have to unscrew a lens anyway if you want to remove the adapter from the camera.
Well, that's about a twice-a-year happening.....

(Guys with multiple adapters remove the spring clips so that the only thing holding the lens on the camera is the gentle hand of a merciful God. I haven't lived the sort of life that allows me that luxury).

01-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
(Guys with multiple adapters remove the spring clips so that the only thing holding the lens on the camera is the gentle hand of a merciful God. I haven't lived the sort of life that allows me that luxury).
Yes, that works better with the third party adapters that have more friction against the mount. Doing this with the original adapter is an accident waiting to happen. The best suited adapters for keeping on the lens are those that lose infinity focus - I use one on a mirror lens that focuses beyond infinity.

Ironically, on Canon cameras you don't have such problems - you can leave the adapter on the lens and mount it and unmount it as if it was an EF lens.