Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
My camera doesn't have live view, but this combo is definitely easier to focus manually than other cameras, including film 35mm slr's that I've used. And I can get more than acceptable shots that way. But, it still takes me more time to do, and that's something I can't afford....

And if my mannequins start moving around, I think I'd better find another line of work! But, seriously, if I'm shooting a necklace on a manni, I need to move in very close to it now to get what I need. A longer zoom would help Not that I could stand exactly where I did when I shoot the full body shot and get the sort of detail I need. It would just make life easier....

But, I think I'm just going to get a replacement 18-55mm for now, and when I'm ready to upgrade the camera, go for more than one lens.

You all have been extremely helpful--thanks!

01-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

/SMC-Pentax-F-35-70mm-F3.5-4.5-Macro-Zoom-Lens. sharp little lens and cheap as chips... Deffo an improvment over the DA18-55 in terms of IQ and always availible on that auction site...
01-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can sometimes find a Sigma 17-70 in the marketplace. Good range, good image quality (IQ)_
01-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You can sometimes find a Sigma 17-70 in the marketplace. Good range, good image quality (IQ)_
Would love one! Looked for one over the weekend, but found nothing (or if I did, it was out of my price range--lol!).

Ended up buying the "newer" DA 18-55 (the II) brand new--not the WR one, but the one before that. I figured when I upgrade my k100d super, this new kit lens would be better with it than the old kit lens. Still gonna keep looking for a second lens with the longer zoom, but for now, I'm all set--at least I hope so. Won't know till the new lens comes....

01-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

+1 on the Tamron 28-105mm. I also like my Tamron 24-135mm alot, but you can't get it for $100.

Watch keh for the Tamron 28-105mm. I got it a couple of years ago for $40.
01-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
Tried to find the answer to my question elsewhere in this forum, but alas, couldn't find quite the same topic; sorry if it's been covered before....

I've got an emergency--autofocus on my kit lens for my kd100 super died this past week, and I need something to replace it now! Was planning to replace the lens soon anyway or upgrade body & lens later this year, but can't afford that right now. Am trying to find a good budget-priced lens to replace it, but looked around a lot, and don't think I can afford a digital one, even used, other than a direct replacement. I like the kit lens and was getting some great shots out of it for my purposes. But I need something a little more at the long end. When I upgrade the body, I'll add a couple lenses, but for now I need one good "walkaround" lens. I use the camera daily, and have found the kit lens to be nearly "just right," except at the long end, and I don't need a lot more there.

I'm fine with an old film lens (the compatibility is one of the reasons I went to Pentax), but some descriptions I've read say that using a film lens on a dslr will change the wide end? I don't know if it's true or not; is it? But I do need something not too far off the 18mm end. Was looking at several Tamron & Sigma lenses that start at 28mm--which I could easily live with, but not if 28 changes to 42 or something on the dslr. I've found some Pentax 28-80mm ones, which seem very affordable but don't seem to have the good reputation as the others.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced used film lens (or digital, if there's one out there) that'll give me close to the equivalent of the 18-55, only a little longer? Might there be some good private-branded out there that are less costly than the "name" brands? Thanks!
Kit Pentax 18-55 is the best budget lens for its range, so either go get the same, or try

Pentax-F 24-50mm F4

or
Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5

Both according to the reviews are better then the kit, however they are old model lenses with less zoom range.

Just bought Pentax-F 35-70 for 60 USD, some pictures will follow :-)

Last edited by Wolfie665; 01-10-2012 at 01:05 PM.
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
Yes, that's exactly the problem I found! I "can" use my current lens at 28, but I have space limitations where I shoot and it's not optimal. 24 works fine, but I like having the 18. If I literally move a storage cabinet, I can probably gain enough room so that I won't need the 18.
I was thinking mostly of the "walkaround" usage you originally mentioned. I'd hate to be walking around wihtout a wide angle option, and that doesn't mean 28 or even 24.
01-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Marc, I'm hoping to start doing "more" with my camera than just in-studio work, so I am going to need, at some point, that good walkaround lens--and was hoping to get pretty much all of what I need now plus that in one lens for right now. But, looks like my expectations weren't realistic! So, I will "make do" with a replacement 18-55mm, and work on getting one or more others later on. Thank you for all your helpful advice! I feel like I'm learning from scratch; been a very long time since I've worked with interchangeable-lens cameras.... So, I'm a newbie again.

01-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Well...

It is hard enough to find wider zoom than 28mm for FF (full frame), make it a budget solutions and the problem is almost unsolvable...

However if you want a cheap lens try Takumar F 28-80 f3.5-4.5 (Takumar-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - Non-& Other Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database). Although it does not have SMC coating it still makes noce photos and in mu opinion (at least with the lenses I have tested) it is sharper, faster and it seemt to be cheaper than FA 28-80 (Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database). Takumar F 28-80 should go for 40$ or less on ebay.

On the other hand there should still be some Sigma or Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 lenses(Sigma 17-35mm F2.8-4 EX DG Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database). These are as wide (or wider) than the kit lens on APS size senzor and they are full frame lenses. They cover the same range on FF as 10-20mm does on APS. So if you beleive that Pentax is going to release an FF body this should be one of the widest lenses you could mount. If you could get a good copy for less than 150$ you won't regret.

Last edited by stanislav; 01-11-2012 at 12:23 AM.
01-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanislav Quote
Well...

It is hard enough to find wider zoom than 28mm for FF (full frame), make it a budget solutions and the problem is almost unsolvable...
Yes, indeed!

QuoteQuote:
However if you want a cheap lens try Fakumar F 28-80 f3.5-4.5 (Takumar-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - Non-& Other Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database). Although it does not have SMC coating it still makes noce photos and in mu opinion (at least with the lenses I have tested) it is sharper, faster and it seemt to be cheaper than FA 28-80 (Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database). Takumar F 28-80 should go for 40$ or less on ebay.

On the other hand there should still be some Sigma or Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 lenses(Sigma 17-35mm F2.8-4 EX DG Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database). These are as wide (or wider) than the kit lens on APS size senzor and they are full frame lenses. They cover the same range on FF as 10-20mm does on APS. So if you beleive that Pentax is going to release an FF body this should be one of the widest lenses you could mount. If yohu could get a good copy for less than 150$ you won't regret.
Thank you--this is very, very good information for me to have! This has been an incredibly informative thread--I'm going to keep referencing it for a very long time, I'm sure....
03-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #26

Are there many differences between Pentax 18-55mm AL I and 18-55mm AL II?
03-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by craider Quote
It is supposed to be sharper. I have version one and it is decent, but not razor sharp. I've been considering upgrading from it to thesigma 17-70 as the 55mm end seems a bit short sometimes.....I wish pentax would make a cheap wr of something in the 17-80 range.
03-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by craider Quote
All the reports are that there are two optical formulas for the 18-55 - the DA18-55 Version I and then the other 3 - DAL18-55, DA18-55 Ver. II, and the DA18-55 WR. The 3 in the second formula are reported to be slightly better at the edges and better at the 18mm range.