Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adaptall2 Lens Question

I just bought an tamron adaptall 60-300 sp as well as a 28mm 2.5. When using the adapter that this guy had I couldn't get it to stop down with the stop down function on my K-7. The lens refused to stop down when taking pictures. The connecting pin between the adapter and the lens is still there and functional. I took the lens off and just put the adapter on the body. Tried toggling it there. Nothing. I do have it set to use aperture other than A in the menu, and it prompts me for the mm when I start the body up. Nothing I can do will stop this lens down. The adapter didn't have any contacts, but it did have the aperture lever and it liked into the aperture lever on the body. So I'm guessing this was the older K/M style adapter. It would be excellent if I could figure out how to get stop down metering to work. I'm in M mode, but the aperture lever won't toggle no matter what I try. I left the adapter there thinking I needed a different one or that it wouldn't work and he dropped the price substantially as a result. I paid like $50 for both. Here's the real question. If that ring is a genuine adaptall2 k m ring, it should work just like any Pentax m lens. Why won't it toggle aperture. Is there a set of pins on the body that needs to be crossed for that to toggle? Bad contact somewhere? It was a really clean looking adapter.........I don't care about the automatic controls....stop down is fine. I can't justify paying $100 for an adapter that doesn't give me any advantages since these lens are manual aperture control only. Can someone help out here?

Thanks!!!!!!

01-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Please provide images of adapter. If you paid $100 for the adapter itself, just return it - that's the price of a P/KA adapter - you can get simple adapters for $15-20.
01-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh its the m adapter. I went back and bought it. Impressed with the sharpness of the 28...even. wide open. Of course the frame is cropped to the sweet spot........

I think the 28mm would make a decent walk around lens along with the 50mm 1.7 I have. Id love some wider primes now I see how much sharpness I can get out of a cheap tamron lens......

I realized I had to be in manual mode for it to dof preview. Duh. Both lenses are near mint and fairly sharp. Not bad for 50 bux....I'm living how the green button sets exposure as well. Well thought out pentax! Very well thought out! This camera makes old mf lenses a total joy to use.

If anyone has this tamron...how to I get it to click into macro?? Its a push zoom. It indents at 60mm but won't click over to macro...its the tamron 60-300. Adaptall sp. If anyone can figure it out lemme know. I don't want to crank on my camera mount.
01-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
...how to I get it to click into macro?
There is no mechanical macro mode -- the lens simply continuously focuses down to a minimum focusing distance of 11.8 inches when at the 60mm zoom setting.

Tamron SP Adaptall-2 60-300mm F/3.8-5.4 Model 23A

H2

01-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #5

Check this out...

.... Laur's photo blog

Describes how to engage the macro mode - like many of the Adaptall-2 lens features, it is a bit fiddly.

Mike
01-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I just bought an tamron adaptall 60-300 sp as well as a 28mm 2.5. When using the adapter that this guy had I couldn't get it to stop down with the stop down function on my K-7. The lens refused to stop down when taking pictures. The connecting pin between the adapter and the lens is still there and functional. I took the lens off and just put the adapter on the body. Tried toggling it there. Nothing. I do have it set to use aperture other than A in the menu, and it prompts me for the mm when I start the body up. Nothing I can do will stop this lens down. The adapter didn't have any contacts, but it did have the aperture lever and it liked into the aperture lever on the body. So I'm guessing this was the older K/M style adapter. It would be excellent if I could figure out how to get stop down metering to work. I'm in M mode, but the aperture lever won't toggle no matter what I try. I left the adapter there thinking I needed a different one or that it wouldn't work and he dropped the price substantially as a result. I paid like $50 for both. Here's the real question. If that ring is a genuine adaptall2 k m ring, it should work just like any Pentax m lens. Why won't it toggle aperture. Is there a set of pins on the body that needs to be crossed for that to toggle? Bad contact somewhere? It was a really clean looking adapter.........I don't care about the automatic controls....stop down is fine. I can't justify paying $100 for an adapter that doesn't give me any advantages since these lens are manual aperture control only. Can someone help out here?

Thanks!!!!!!
I have had some issues with these adaptors from time to time. Here is what I find. Many times there seems to be an allignment issue with the A pin, where it looses contact and the aperture shows F--. THis can be rectified by slight rotational pressure on the lens.

The other issue is more serious, where the lens either does not make contact with the A pin, or the aperture does not read correctly and is limited to F4 (all pins open) due to a bad contact between internal parts of the adaptor. I fixed this on one mount by placing a small metal shim between parts of the mount to connect them.

Also note that the smallest maximum aperture the mount supports is F4, so a slower lens will report F4 unless you modify the mount. I use nail polish for this
01-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
See my reply. I got it to work once. I cleaned up the. Ring and tried manual. I have the original m adapter. No aperture readings, but it does stop down metering and that was all I wanted. It works great and makes feel like I have a modern spotmatic in my hands...yaaaaay!!

01-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ill post some some pics soon!!
01-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So for everyone that replied all my test shots with the k-7 are up on my photostream:

Http://www.flickr.com/photos/zosxavius

The exif should (in theory at least) say 28mm. The tamron 28 2.5 needs much better glare coating. It does have a color cast, so maybe I should expose it to uv and see if that helps. Black and white looks great. Night shots look good. Bokeh is typical 5 shutter bokeh with a sliht notch at 2.8. Wide open its very soft but sharpens nicely at f4 with the sweet spot between 5.6 and 6.3. Center sharpness is good. If you are a black and white shooter like me its decent to carry around and I couldn't really go wrong for 10 bucks.

I took this shot this morning with it...I think its a keeper....

Off to the Races | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It makes me want to get a nice pentax a28 now.....
01-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After using the adaptall I don't like it, but these couple of lenses will give me a few more options at least that I didn't have. Can't go wrong with having more glass. The 60-300 sp is very sharp and contrasty I must admit. Colors really pop out of it too. Not bad for 20 year old glass.

Edit: I meant the mount. Don't like it. I had to take it apart and tighten it up after realizing how loose it was. I def prefer native mounts. Less swapping with the camera exposed the better.