Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Sigma 70 - 300 APO ...

I have a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super. I bought it new back in film days when I wanted som telephoto when I had only A3 body with 35-70mm f4 lens.

Appart from having a nice reach at 300mm it also has a macro function at 300mm reaching magnification at 1:2. I don't know what is the difference between "super" and "regular" version but I know that it had never let me down. As telezoom it is small enough to carry around and it makes very nice and sharp photos. Maybe I am just lucky with my lens as there is a number of users of Sigma lenses that had quality problems with their samples.

As a macro 300mm @ f5.6 gives you a good distance to the object (about 1.3m or 4ft) but the question is if it is good enough. Maybe you want to get closer to the subject and/or you need wider aperture. Anyway it is a nice lens to have and a good addition to the kit for telephoto.

My impression is that Tamron 70-300 and Sigma 70-300 are essentially the same lens (same optical formula?), but I don't have any evidence for that.

01-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #17

Original Poster
the p&s seems like a good solution.
but damn i just sold my old sony p&s not so long ago :/

stanislav: thanks for your experience. the 2 lenses do look very similar, but they got quite a different ratings in this forum :/
01-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I shoot macro with M42 Pentax bellows and enlarging lenses - In my signature is a link to an article on settup. It is great for studio work and dirt cheap.

Off camera flash and some sort of diffusion or light tent will help a lot.

This is an article on cheap manual flash and a diy tent. In stead of building a tent with a box and tissue paper - per the link below - I use white furnace air filters. They have structure and are easy to form into a tent - also dirt cheap.

Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio