Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

What is a cheap "macro" solution?

I am starting an ebay business selling some small object, and i am looking for a cheap macro solution to combine with my K5.

the image dimension will be only 800px on the wide end, so i definitely do not need a high end macro lens to a pixel peeping level.
and the environment will be mostly indoor with 2 strong lights.

I am looking for a real lens, not extension tubes or macro filters such as the Raynox.

I came across with these:

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto Zoom (not very good rating, but very cheap)

Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 AF XR Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro (more expensive, but excellent focal range and better rating)

Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro (similar to the sigma, but seems better rating according to forum review)
---------------
Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Macro (cheap, and it is even autofocus?)

Tamron AF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 LD Tele-macro (don't know much about this)

anyone has experience on these?

01-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 18-55 or 50-200 kit lens with an aggressively cropped photo off the K5 should still be fine at such presentation sizes.

Or else, even a pns will do.

I used a Pentax Optio some 4-6yrs ago for selling my painted 28mm war gaming miniatures and it was already sufficient then.

If not, the lenses you mentioned in your list will do fine, but I don't see any advantage in using them over the kit lens + crop.
Another option would be a cheap 3rd party MF 50mm macro lens.
01-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Sigma 28-80 f3.5-5.6 Macro. It's a very nice lens, light, fast auto focus, decent sharpness. You can get 1:2 close ups at 80mm. I got mine for only 15 bucks.
01-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

01-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The 18-55 or 50-200 kit lens with an aggressively cropped photo off the K5 should still be fine at such presentation sizes.

Or else, even a pns will do.
+1. Exactly what I thought when reading the title.
01-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Many zooms are capable of 1:3 reproduction. Despite being labeled as macro, they are best described as close focus. Depending on the size objects you are photographing, that may be all you need. Aggressive cropping can buy you a little more enlargement for the final image, but it is likely that the optical quality of the lens will be limiting at some point. (Cropping is, after all, functionally equivalent to pixel peeping.)

A few considerations before buying:
  • Don't rule out an extension tube mated to a 50mm prime. Just because the solution is simple doesn't mean it is inferior.
  • Lighting and a stable camera platform are critical. DOF at higher magnification is incredibly thin. In order to provide full detail on your subjects you will have to be stopped down to f/16 or narrower with a corresponding long shutter speed or a strong electronic flash. A good tripod is your friend when doing product shots.
  • Regarding focus. AF sounds good, but I would suspect that you will likely be working at pretty much fixed distance to your subject. In that case, AF would offer little advantage and not worth paying extra for. (FWIW...for true macro, focus is usually done by leaving the lens at fixed extension and moving the camera/lens assembly together on a focus rail.)
To address your initial question directly, I use a Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro for most of my closeup work. It is the least expensive quality macro lens I am aware of that is currently available new in Pentax mount. For higher magnification or when higher quality is needed, I have a bellows.

Steve
01-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks guys for your input.

and thank you steve for such a detail explanation.
i guess i will first experiment with my 18-55mm kit first, if i can't get the magnification i want i'll get a tube for my M-50/1.7 prime.
01-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Even with the 18-55 with proper lighting you can get a dime in sharp detail.Do you need to photograph anything smaller?
Jake

01-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You don't need a macro for ebay stuff, unless you're selling rare coins or stamps or something. You'll get plenty of resolution even if you are heavily cropping. Any normal lens will do.
01-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

edit:
never mind
01-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
i am gathering some jewelry to sell, that's why i would like to have the best magnification that shows jade pattern, diamond stones, glass, etc.
already ordered a cheap tube off ebay, let's see how it goes...
01-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

tubes can be useful, but also consider a flash. Good lighting is hard to get for macro shots.

as for other cheap solutions, it is possible to get a takumar 50mm macro for about $100, and this goes 1:2 without tubes, although flash is manual.

Actually if you are really seriois, and want really good shots, get a first generation DSLR, i.e. *istD or DS as this supports TTL flash and meters correctly with legacy lenses.

you should also consider your background, as a small clean uniform background fabric can really help make the photos stand out
01-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Create a well lit environment for your work, like a white light tent and use a P&S camera. The P&S's depth of field will be about 4 times greater that that for a dslr and the image quality will exceed what's needed for an eBay photo.

I'm suggesting the P&S because it is more capable than a dslr for this particular job - high depth of field images of staged, well lit static objects a few centimeters wide.

Dave

Last edited by newarts; 01-10-2012 at 09:06 AM.
01-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Create a well lit environment for your work, like a white light tent and use a P&S camera. The P&S's depth of field will be about 4 times greater that that for a dslr ad the image quality will exceed what's needed for an eBay photo.

I'm suggesting the P&S because it is more capable than a dslr for this particular job - high depth of field images of staged, well lit static objects a few centimeters wide.

Dave
Good suggestion. I know a couple of power sellers on eBay and they all use a higher end P&S in conjunction with a light tent for their product shots.

Steve
01-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good suggestion. I know a couple of power sellers on eBay and they all use a higher end P&S in conjunction with a light tent for their product shots.
I'm not a *power* seller but I've done a bit on eBay, and I always use an older high-end P&S (Sony DSC-V1) for product shots -- inside a Digital Concepts Portable Lighting Studio Ps-101, which is a steal of a deal. With it's 7-28mm lens @ f/8 with a several-second exposure, DOF is great and detail is sharp. And throughput is fast.